Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF6100 - roller marks  (Read 6057 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Canon iPF6100 - roller marks
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:06:30 pm »

I've been printing a large proofing job on my 6100, using the 24" wide Canon Commercial Proofing paper (200gsm). Actually, very nice paper, especially for a proofing paper -- reminds me a little of Silver Rag, in a strange way. Anyway, I found most of the prints had what looked like tank tracks running down the page -- not on every print, and not always in the same place, but usually roughly in the middle, the other about 18" or so from the right side of the printer.

Fortuantely, these were just proofs for me, but it would have destroyed almost every print had they been important. I've used much heavier matte paper (though only 13x19 sheet fed) as well as some Hahn. Fine Art Pearl, and ran a roll of thin-ish 17" Epson Proof Semi-Matte without incident.

Anyone have this problem and how did you cure it? Thanks.

Nemo

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:54:53 pm »

There is a really good thread on the Canon iPF printer wiki: http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/4715097
which talks about increasing Scan Time to allow the ink more time to dry before it comes to the exit wheels.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:42:46 pm »

There is a really good thread on the Canon iPF printer wiki: http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/4715097
which talks about increasing Scan Time to allow the ink more time to dry before it comes to the exit wheels.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208570\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. Seems strange that Canon's own paper would have problems, including slightly excessive inking. I could see the settings not being correct for upsupported third party and the need to tinker and customize, but I'm somewhat surpised with their own branded paper.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37:37 pm »

Seems strange that Canon's own paper would have problems, including slightly excessive inking.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Right, although I, for one, haven't had that problem with that paper. I'm sure you're using the "Comm Proofing" media selection both on the printer and in the driver right? Could it be environmental?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:09:07 pm »

Right, although I, for one, haven't had that problem with that paper. I'm sure you're using the "Comm Proofing" media selection both on the printer and in the driver right? Could it be environmental?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Driver and printer are matched. Here are some VERY rough, quickie shots of the "tank tracks" taken with a point-and-shoot. The Canon Wiki had nothing that really related to these marks. I suppose I'll have to call Canon tech support and try to get this resolved. I didn't have this kind of thing happen with the Hahn Fine Art Pearl. I'm gathering this probably occurred because of over inking. I'll need to create my own profile to see if I can overcome this problem. This occurred when I printed from InDesign, not Photoshop, so it can't be solved by tweaking the plug-in.

Tony B.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:51:23 pm »

From those photo's it looks like head strikes.  Are they going the direction of the printhead?  If so you can go in and manually set the head height for that paper selection.  You would take it off Auto and set it maybe try the middle setting at first.

See here
http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Menu+Functions
find the med.detail.set in the menu scroll down then select paper type, then scroll down to head height then select standard (as a starting point).

Tony

suttree

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:32:45 am »

I agree with Tony B. -- I think these are head strikes and not the pizza-wheel marks that come from incompletely-dried paper pushed under the spur bar.

In addition to Tony's comment, also go into the settings for the particular media type you are using, and up the vacuum strength (try highest). The combination of head height and vacuum strength changes should fix your problem.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:19:23 pm »

Definitely head strikes. Looks like the paper is buckling at that zone. Why is the bigger question.
IF you can set a higher platen gap, it might help. It almost looks to me like the rollers are not taking up the tension as they should.
If they were you'd have the very slightest pizza tracks in the darkest areas with a spot light, and a loupe.
Check the rollers in that region....

nemophoto

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 10:17:29 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I called Canon Tech Support -- probably a waste of time. The guy I spoke with was nice, but for a while couldn't comprehend what I was saying. After a while (I suppose he was reading up on what might be the problem), he suggsted I increase teh vacuum and raise the head height (basically what you guys suggested). That seemed to greatly lessen the marks on the same images (basically they disappeared), though if I lookd carefully, and angled the paper just-so to the light, I could still see the marks. So, I guess I should crank up the vacuum to the max and raise the head one more notch.

Strange I didn't have the problem with heavier papers, but those were also manual sheet fed and not rolls. I love most of the aspects of the printer. I suppose I'm just trading Epson quirks for Canon quirks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up