Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imageprint or Eye 1  (Read 2744 times)

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
Imageprint or Eye 1
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:24:31 pm »

I have been buying profiles for the paper that I use for a while now but would like to be able to experiment with new papers without the print, post, wait for profile approach. From what I have read, I have concluded that canned profiles provided by manufacturers are rarely excellent so testing a paper with canned profiles is less than optimal. This led me to look at buying an Eye 1 Photo or Imageprint.

I have hunted around but haven't found any answers. It looks like Imageprint would be cheaper and also have canned profiles for any paper. I understand that Imageprint has a learning curve which is probably;y steeper than eye one match.

If my aim is to be able to get excellent profiles for any paper, am I missing something, or are they equivalent approaches?

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

rdonson

Imageprint or Eye 1
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:34:55 pm »

What printer do you have, Jeff?
Regards,
Ron

Jeff-Grant

Imageprint or Eye 1
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:33:15 pm »

What printer do you have, Jeff?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A 3800 which I use most often, a 7600, 2400 and 800  What an idiot I hear you say. I bought them at different times for different reasons.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Richowens

Imageprint or Eye 1
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:45:14 pm »

I think you would be better off buying the Eye1. I believe you would have to buy Imageprint for each printer, which could get really expensive.  

With the Eye1 you could make profiles as you need them to cover the papers you are using with each printer.

And no, no one thinks you are an idiot.

HTH

Rich

Jeff-Grant

Imageprint or Eye 1
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:55:43 pm »

I think you would be better off buying the Eye1. I believe you would have to buy Imageprint for each printer, which could get really expensive. 

With the Eye1 you could make profiles as you need them to cover the papers you are using with each printer.

And no, no one thinks you are an idiot.

HTH

Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208539\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's the bit that I didn't understand. If I have to buy an Imageprint licence for each printer, it's a no-brainer.

Thanks Rich.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Imageprint or Eye 1
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:11:37 pm »

Image Print is a solution in a box.You take what you get. Not much room for tweaking.
 It provides good canned profiles- better than manufacturers- not as good as good custom profiles. Note many custom profile services are not good- especially for perceptual rendering or any fine art use. Unless you really know what you are doing this could be the standard of profiles you could make yourself. A lot of vendors are using the same gear and software as you would be. You may take more care though, especially with multiple sampling . If you get custom profiles insist on a statistical analysis of the profile. That usually sorts out  less than optimum vendors. Price is not necessarily indicative.
The steepness of the curve for I1 depends on how far up the mountain you want to climb. In the end I1 is not the top spectro . It provides good solutions if used carefully , but not great solutions.
IP is also a RIP offering functions other than a box of profiles. Good value of you require workmanlike ,but not stunning results from a lot of media. I think IP will make you a free profile for media not on their list- so you get free custom profiles for Yak Hair paper.
Sorry if I have confused you further
Cheers
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

Jeff-Grant

Imageprint or Eye 1
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:20:11 pm »

Image Print is a solution in a box.You take what you get. Not much room for tweaking.
 It provides good canned profiles- better than manufacturers- not as good as good custom profiles. Note many custom profile services are not good- especially for perceptual rendering or any fine art use. Unless you really know what you are doing this could be the standard of profiles you could make yourself. A lot of vendors are using the same gear and software as you would be. You may take more care though, especially with multiple sampling . If you get custom profiles insist on a statistical analysis of the profile. That usually sorts out  less than optimum vendors. Price is not necessarily indicative.
The steepness of the curve for I1 depends on how far up the mountain you want to climb. In the end I1 is not the top spectro . It provides good solutions if used carefully , but not great solutions.
IP is also a RIP offering functions other than a box of profiles. Good value of you require workmanlike ,but not stunning results from a lot of media. I think IP will make you a free profile for media not on their list- so you get free custom profiles for Yak Hair paper.
Sorry if I have confused you further
Cheers
Brian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208543\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Brian, I am only marginally more confused now. If I1 isn't the top spectro, what is? My understanding was that the spectro is the industry standard but I would probably need to go to Profile Maker to get to the peak.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Imageprint or Eye 1
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:50:19 pm »

Eye One is the general standard and can do a good job with the right charts, correct reading conditions , software , procedures and interpretation. That's quite enough for most people. If you want to go beyond that that means variable UVand polarisation, 16 bit capacity and a lot of other stuff that I leave to the CM geeks. Instrumentation here can cost in excess of $30,000.
If you want info re this contact me off line and I can point you to those people.
This conversation would be better taken up in the Color Management area , where Andrew Rodney and others may pick it up.
Conclusion: With several machines I1 is cheaper and will give you better results if you are prepared to put in time and effort to build good profiles . Ensure you have an appropriate monitor, eg Eizo CG series which is calibrated and profiled. Have correct illumination levels in your workroom and view prints under the correct conditions -say Solux lamps at 400cd/sqm (I think -from memory). Without this the best profiles will not serve you well.
Good Luck
Brian

Jeff-Grant

Imageprint or Eye 1
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:03:57 pm »

Eye One is the general standard and can do a good job with the right charts, correct reading conditions , software , procedures and interpretation. That's quite enough for most people. If you want to go beyond that that means variable UVand polarisation, 16 bit capacity and a lot of other stuff that I leave to the CM geeks. Instrumentation here can cost in excess of $30,000.
If you want info re this contact me off line and I can point you to those people.
This conversation would be better taken up in the Color Management area , where Andrew Rodney and others may pick it up.
Conclusion: With several machines I1 is cheaper and will give you better results if you are prepared to put in time and effort to build good profiles . Ensure you have an appropriate monitor, eg Eizo CG series which is calibrated and profiled. Have correct illumination levels in your workroom and view prints under the correct conditions -say Solux lamps at 400cd/sqm (I think -from memory). Without this the best profiles will not serve you well.
Good Luck
Brian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brian,many thanks. I think that I will take the first steps with the I1 and see where that leads me. I have the CG monitor which I recently purchased after discovering that my Eizo Flexscan had developed an illumination difference from one side to the other.

I have the feeling that I am just starting on a long journey.

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up