Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The new Canon 5D announce on August  (Read 29077 times)

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
The new Canon 5D announce on August
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 11:30:01 am »

Hi
What??????? Give me a break, finally Nikon after how many years does something progressive with a high iso but only 12 mp??? Lets wait & see what the new Canon camera is? I am very happy with the new 1dsMKIII. I look back to 1988 when Nikon continued with there old mount & Canon in 1997 introduced the EOS system & went from No 2 to No 1 as a result!!!!!! Yes Nikon has stepped up to the plate after how many years........but I still am staying with Canon. The 5D was a bench mark for a FF sensor in 2005!!!!!!
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe we're all waiting to see what the new camera will be. And I, like you, won't be trading in my Canon for Nikon regardless.
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 12:18:27 pm »

Love my 5D, its going to take a big improvement to make me upgrade.

To the notion of bringing our 2 versions, one less inferior to the other just wont sell. If the one less inferior is anything priced like a 5D but with specs less than a 40D and the other more superior is priced more close to the 1D, Canon will shoot themself in the foot.

My predictions, a US$3000 5DII, with all the 40D has and a bit more. Maybe a special extra.

macgyver

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 12:50:01 pm »

My predictions, a US$3000 5DII, with all the 40D has and a bit more. Maybe a special extra.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with you, however a 40d spec'd body isn't going to hold a candle to the d700 if they are both the same price. So, unless they really ratchet up the MP count (and a jump from 12 to 16 isn't all that big) that too would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Canon's going to have to either have reallyaggressive pricing or is going to have to break tradition and provide a high spec camera that isn't a 1-series.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 07:11:05 pm »

Somehow I predict a big stupid release from Canon.  They really seem to be doing all the wrong stuff the last 1-2 years.

Satch

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 10:55:44 am »

I'm surprised it's not already out, but I think it's pretty obvious by now what the specs/features will be--(completely new) 16mp sensor, live view, sensor cleaning, etc.

The one thing I hope to God they "take" from Nikon is the in-camera level.  Although they basically work, I hate using those flash shoe bubble levels.  It's an incredible pain, especially with a ballhead, to take your eye away from the viewfinder and try to level the camera while still maintaining your composition.  Please Canon, please!

BJL

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 10:57:48 am »

I agree with you, however a 40d spec'd body isn't going to hold a candle to the d700 if they are both the same price. So, unless they really ratchet up the MP count (and a jump from 12 to 16 isn't all that big) that too would be shooting themselves in the foot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree with both of you; Canon has never offered a high frame rate action photography oriented camera in full 35mm format and when it does, I expect it to come first in the high end 1D series. So I expect the next "entry level 35mm format" DSLR from Canon to continue Canon's emphasis on the image resolution (pixel count) advantage of the larger format. If so, 16MP will not be enough: not even compared to Nikon/Sony's 12MP, let alone Pentax-Samsung's 15MP and what is likely to come from Nikon-Sony in DX format sensors in the next year or so.

So I expect the sensor to be either that of the 1DsMkIII, or a cut-down lower frame rate version still sharing much of the design and production facilities to bring costs down for both the new model and the 1DsMkIII. The later will probably need price cuts soon as Sony and Nikon enter the high res. 35mm format DSLR market, so improving sensor design and production economies of scale (as Nikon has been doing lately) might be very desirable for Canon.

And I expect we will not know until mid-September!

P. S. For the imagined "a bit extra", how about a higher frame rate crop option, like 1.4x crop for half the pixel count and up to twice the frame rate? Still probably only about 6fps due to mirror/shutter limitations.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:59:56 am by BJL »

ron203

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 11:10:19 am »

Somehow I predict a big stupid release from Canon.  They really seem to be doing all the wrong stuff the last 1-2 years.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211065\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried the 1Ds3? Not a stupid release IMO. Also, I have been using the 5D for a few years, and it's another amazing camera.

I look forward to new cameras too, but it doesn't make the current cameras stupid. What is it that these cameras are not doing for you?

Two of these are 5D images, and two are 1Ds3.

[attachment=7658:attachment][attachment=7659:attachment][attachment=7660:attachm
ent][attachment=7661:attachment]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:11:28 am by ron203 »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:43:17 pm »

Haven't looked at the metadata.
Let's see... the guy's are 1Ds3,  the girl's 5D.
How did I do?

Eduardo

Have you tried the 1Ds3? Not a stupid release IMO. Also, I have been using the 5D for a few years, and it's another amazing camera.

I look forward to new cameras too, but it doesn't make the current cameras stupid. What is it that these cameras are not doing for you?

[attachment=7658:attachment][attachment=7659:attachment][attachment=7660:attachm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brad Proctor

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 08:05:47 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They could just have easily been shot with a 3mp point and shoot. (Without cheating and looking at the metadata of course).  Not that I'm disagreeing with you (I'm not) or suggesting that your work is poor (it's excellent), just that your images are too small to prove anything.
Brad Proctor

ron203

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 08:28:25 pm »

Not trying to prove the worth of the cameras, just showing what kind of work I do.
Anyway, my question stands...

(and by the way, in my experience, 3mp, 6mp, 12pm point and shoots do not look like this.)

~ron
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:30:29 pm by ron203 »

juicy

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 07:20:31 am »

They could just have easily been shot with a 3mp point and shoot. (Without cheating and looking at the metadata of course).  Not that I'm disagreeing with you (I'm not) or suggesting that your work is poor (it's excellent), just that your images are too small to prove anything.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,
I would be seriously interested in a 3 mp point'n'shoot that would give me the tonality, detail, selective focus, DR and optical quality that is apparent in the fourth image (boy with a blue sweater).
I could really use one. All the ps cameras I have tried so far have been more or less bs cameras when it comes to useability and the quality of results.  

Cheers,
J

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 08:12:49 am »

Believe me or not. The new full frame camera from Canon to replace 5D will announce next month, so far as I know, it is a 16mp sensor, the one was used on 1Ds Mk2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208386\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Who or what is the source of this?  Is it reliable or could be considered to be privy to such information?  What is the basis for it?  Where does it come from?

We can believe you or not, but it would be really helpful in distinguishing this post from countless other base-less rumour-mongering posts if you gave us some information on the source of the statement.

uaiomex

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 02:26:30 pm »

Exactly, p&s's don't look like these.
However, in my monitor, the guy's pictures seem to have more snap than the girl's, but that could be because other circumstances and not the sensors.
So, Ron, how did I do?

Eduardo

Not trying to prove the worth of the cameras, just showing what kind of work I do.
Anyway, my question stands...

(and by the way, in my experience, 3mp, 6mp, 12pm point and shoots do not look like this.)

~ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

uaiomex

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 02:33:10 pm »

Ron's picture of the guy in the blue garment aproaches the 3D quality of a 22mp mfdb. (at least from this internet perspective)
I'll be damned if it is from the 5D

Eduardo

Exactly, p&s's don't look like these.
However, in my monitor, the guy's pictures seem to have more snap than the girl's, but that could be because other circumstances and not the sensors.
So, Ron, how did I do?

Eduardo
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brad Proctor

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 02:46:51 pm »

I apologize if I offended, I misunderstood your post.

Point taken.  They sure don't.
Brad Proctor

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 10:34:28 am »

I too think Canon was blindsided by Nikon. It'll be interesting to see if the announcement is delayed while they figure out whether to undercut the 1DsIII and use that sensor (for pricing reasons) or go with the incremental sensor upgrade they normally pursue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And Nikon has two more new cameras waiting in the wings... I suspect we will see Canon announce the 1D mark IIIn, and then issue a development announcement on the 5D replacement, and then Nikon upstage them again.  

ron203

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 04:03:06 pm »

You are correct Eduardo, the dudes are 1Ds3 and the girls are 5D.

So where did Kaelaria go - I was asking him a question and he disappeared.

uaiomex

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 03:49:03 am »

Thank you much Ron.
So, we can say that under certain circumstances, it is even possible to discern a 12mp camera from a 21 mp camera both full frame over the internet. Much more on prints I believe.
Very interesting.
Just one step further to decide on the 1Ds3. Just need to know first what is coming from Canon for this Fotokina.
Eduardo

You are correct Eduardo, the dudes are 1Ds3 and the girls are 5D.

So where did Kaelaria go - I was asking him a question and he disappeared.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212396\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ron203

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 08:37:35 am »

No problem.

For the record, I think it's easier to see differences between these cameras on a computer screen than in print. That is my experience, anyway.

uaiomex

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 01:08:13 am »

deleted

No problem.

For the record, I think it's easier to see differences between these cameras on a computer screen than in print. That is my experience, anyway.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:12:16 am by uaiomex »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up