Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The new Canon 5D announce on August  (Read 29078 times)

once2work

The new Canon 5D announce on August
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:19:14 am »

Believe me or not. The new full frame camera from Canon to replace 5D will announce next month, so far as I know, it is a 16mp sensor, the one was used on 1Ds Mk2.

timescapes

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:42:18 am »

Believe me or not. The new full frame camera from Canon to replace 5D will announce next month, so far as I know, it is a 16mp sensor, the one was used on 1Ds Mk2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208386\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Would they use an old sensor?  Hasn't technology come long since the 1DsM2?

Anthony R

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 12:05:51 pm »

I hate to fuel this speculation/rumor, but damn, I hope it's not the same sensor as the Mark II. I was seriously disappointed in that camera...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:05:09 pm »

Well, seeing how the current 5D is actually better than the 1DsMk2 despite it's larger pixel count I hope they aren't using a 4 year old sensor in the thing ... I would seriously doubt it.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 12:10:10 am »

Actually, if they did use a four-year-old sensor in it, I might be kind of pleased. It would mean I wouldn't have to replace my 5D right away.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 02:19:25 am »

If it does have a good 16MP sensor, it might make more sense to buy 2 5Ds at 6300 US instead of 1 1ds3 at 8000. And have enough money left over to take a vacation and use them.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:28:45 am »

If it does have a good 16MP sensor, it might make more sense to buy 2 5Ds at 6300 US instead of 1 1ds3 at 8000. And have enough money left over to take a vacation and use them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208591\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL.

I've got a 5D and a 1DSMK3.

Since I got the 1DSMK3 the 5D has been gathering dust - probably never to be used in anger again.  

I use the G9 when I want something light weight these days. But usually I feel its worth lugging the 1DSMK3 for what the camera brings to the party.  
Wild Nature Photo Travel

alba63

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:09:22 am »

Highly unlikely. The 1ds2 sensor was more expensive to manufacture (had also higher DR than 5d), the 5d2 may have a 16MP sensor, but it will not be a 4yo one... Canon may call it "similar to that one".

But the success of the 5d2 will not lie in the MP. It will have to compete successfully with the Nikon d700. Megapixels will NOT do the trick.

Bernie

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:36:09 am »

I reckon it would be great if they could offer TWO new 5D variants.  One would be the exact same spec 5D body (minus the friggin' direct print button), with the same MP count, but with newer sensor and processing technology (ie. even better high iso, better edge to edge sharpness, and better processing).  This could be the 5DII.  The other one would have all new bells and whistles like found on the 40D like bigger lcd, live view, sensor cleaning, faster frame rate, and other newer ideas.  This one could be the 4D (or whatever).  That way, those of us who are satisfied with the current MP count wouldn't have to buy into the higher MP race just to get better sensor performance.  I know it's not going to happen, but it would be nice if they could offer one or two cameras that showed improved performance, without having to buy bells and whistles and more megapixels.  I guess that gets to the crux of what I am saying.  It bugs me that if someone wants a modest upgrade, they are basically forced to purchase a whole lot of stuff with it that they may not actually want.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:00:24 am by bernie west »

sojournerphoto

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 05:19:16 pm »

LOL.

I've got a 5D and a 1DSMK3.

Since I got the 1DSMK3 the 5D has been gathering dust - probably never to be used in anger again.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208593\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My experience exactly - anyone in the UK want a 5D...

Mike

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 05:49:26 pm »

It bugs me that if someone wants a modest upgrade, they are basically forced to purchase a whole lot of stuff with it that they may not actually want.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208605\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's why I recently upgraded from a 30D to a 450D, and am very happy with the choice.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 06:10:11 pm »

I have a 5D and 1Ds3. The 1Ds is used most often but the 5D still gets out a lot - I pick it up when I want a smaller camera, often with a 50mm f1.4 lens attached. Yes I know its not small, but size is relative!

It is easy to dismiss an "old" camera like the 5D. It is still ahead of many other DSLRs and the image quality is just superb. Even though a new 5D may be sometime close, the original and much loved 5D is still a great camera - any replacement will have to be quite special!
Pete Truman

Ray

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 08:28:43 pm »

It's a real dilemma for Canon, as well as consumers, now that Nikon have produced a more affordable D3 in the form of a D700.

I don't believe a 16mp 5D upgrade can compete on the basis of a mere 30% increase in pixel count, but Canon have set a precedent for such incremental increases in DSLR pixel count; 6mp tp 8mp; 8mp to 10mp; 10mp to 12mp etc.

By the end of the year, the upgrade to the 5D is likely to be squashed between the 12mp Nikon D700 and the 24mp Sony A900, unless Canon can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

My own preference would be for a full frame sensor with the pixel density of the 40D, or better still, 450D; that is, either a 26mp or 31mp sensor.

They also need to develop a good wide angle zoom like Nikon's 14-24/F2.8.

lovell

• http://
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 03:58:06 pm »

This smells of BS...why would Canon replace the 5D's sensor with one that is inferior?  The 1DS Mark II's sensor has more MP, but that aside, it produces more noise then the current 5D's....if you're going to pass on BS, at least make it more convencing ;-(
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

MarkL

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 07:19:26 am »

Nikon are already killing canon in the high iso stakes. No way are they going to put in a noisier old sensor in a camera that sold so well and has to compete with the D700.

I call shenanigans/troll

The View

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:56 pm »

The rumor monger possibly sold you faulty goods.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 07:14:04 pm »

It's a real dilemma for Canon, as well as consumers, now that Nikon have produced a more affordable D3 in the form of a D700.

I don't believe a 16mp 5D upgrade can compete on the basis of a mere 30% increase in pixel count, but Canon have set a precedent for such incremental increases in DSLR pixel count; 6mp tp 8mp; 8mp to 10mp; 10mp to 12mp etc.

By the end of the year, the upgrade to the 5D is likely to be squashed between the 12mp Nikon D700 and the 24mp Sony A900, unless Canon can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

My own preference would be for a full frame sensor with the pixel density of the 40D, or better still, 450D; that is, either a 26mp or 31mp sensor.

They also need to develop a good wide angle zoom like Nikon's 14-24/F2.8.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209649\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too think Canon was blindsided by Nikon. It'll be interesting to see if the announcement is delayed while they figure out whether to undercut the 1DsIII and use that sensor (for pricing reasons) or go with the incremental sensor upgrade they normally pursue.
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 05:01:56 am »

I too think Canon was blindsided by Nikon. It'll be interesting to see if the announcement is delayed while they figure out whether to undercut the 1DsIII and use that sensor (for pricing reasons) or go with the incremental sensor upgrade they normally pursue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
What??????? Give me a break, finally Nikon after how many years does something progressive with a high iso but only 12 mp??? Lets wait & see what the new Canon camera is? I am very happy with the new 1dsMKIII. I look back to 1988 when Nikon continued with there old mount & Canon in 1997 introduced the EOS system & went from No 2 to No 1 as a result!!!!!! Yes Nikon has stepped up to the plate after how many years........but I still am staying with Canon. The 5D was a bench mark for a FF sensor in 2005!!!!!!
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Ray

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 08:14:08 am »

The 5D was a bench mark for a FF sensor in 2005!!!!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it was, but it's now 2008 and by the end of the year there'll probably be two 24mp FF DSLRs available, an expensive model from Nikon and a less expensive model from Sony.

If Canon chooses to provide an upgrade to the 5D which is to the 1Ds3 what the D700 is to the D3, ie. essentially the same camera in a lighter body with a less durable shutter, then I won't complain   .

Ray

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 09:25:56 am »

By the way, I notice that Canon have already developed a 50mp DSLR-size CMOS sensor for surveillance purposes, if the following report is true.

Canon crams 50 megapixels into a CMOS prototype
by Paul Miller, posted Jun 4th 2007 at 11:35AM

You won't be seeing one of these sensors in your fashioncam any time soon. Canon has built a 50 megapixel CMOS monstrosity, which is reportedly almost twice the resolution of its nearest competition, and is prepping it as a sort of large format surveillance camera for monitoring large, busy areas such as parking lots and theme parks, along with detailed work like factory part inspections. Despite the sensor's clear industrial-end aims, Canon has managed to build its prototype at 19 x 28mm in size, the same dimensions of the sensors in its DSLR cameras, so who knows where this tech could end up in the long run. So far Canon hasn't even announced release plans for this current incarnation, so we aren't going to go hawking our existing shooter just yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up