Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The new iPhone 3G...  (Read 4802 times)

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
The new iPhone 3G...
« on: July 12, 2008, 08:45:58 am »

...sucks!

What a POS.

Well, at least the Microsoft Exchange integration, which is why I waited till now to buy it.

But guess what: no Tasks (!), no Categories, no control over which folders get synced... so I have 50+ folders, and have to scroll past ALL of them to get to something toward the bottom. They're usually all nested inside a few main folders, but no way to collapse them.

WTF?

Also, I have several Contact folders, but it syncs ALL of them - thus defeating the reason they're separated in the first place!

I don't get it, Apple did a great job with Entourage, why they didn't get this right is beyond any reason... they're (hopefully) going to patch it, because right now it is unusable within "the enterprise."

I am soooo disappointed.

Oh well, back to my HTC Phone. I buy a new one every year, and they're getting better all the time. Check out the new HTC Touch Diamond and Touch Pro... think I'll get the Pro. I was always wary of just a touch screen anyway...

francois

The new iPhone 3G...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:17:49 am »

…I don't get it, Apple did a great job with Entourage, why they didn't get this right is beyond any reason...
Entourage is not an Apple product!
Francois

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
The new iPhone 3G...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:55:15 am »

I know, what I mean is that Apple and MSFT worked well together. Apple has a vested interest in making some of their products work well with corporate software applications.

francois

The new iPhone 3G...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:20:35 am »

I know, what I mean is that Apple and MSFT worked well together. Apple has a vested interest in making some of their products work well with corporate software applications.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't forget to provide feedback to Apple, sometimes they listen.
Francois

Gabe

The new iPhone 3G...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:01:32 pm »

Also, I have several Contact folders, but it syncs ALL of them - thus defeating the reason they're separated in the first place!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207577\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry to hear you're disappointed -- as a long-time .Mac subscriber, I've been less than impressed with the rollout of MobileMe, myself. They do seem to be having some fairly serious issues on their end, so maybe they'll work things out in time.

As to your contact syncing issues, I don't have an iPhone to test this on, but this works on my SonyEriccson phone (assuming you're on OSX, that is):

- open iSync (in your Applications folder)
- select the device you want to set syncing preferences for, and a list of options for that device will appear
- under 'Contacts', you should see a pick-list which will correspond to the groups you have set up in your address book, select the relevant group and any other options you'd like

With some careful/crafty management of the groups in your address book and the settings in iSync, you can actually exert a pretty decent level of control over who/what gets sync'd (although I have no idea why they haven't moved all of this stuff into a Preference Pane)

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
The new iPhone 3G...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 01:12:49 pm »

I am giving Feedback, and I have found Apple to be pretty responsive to their customers in the past - so I'm hoping for the best.

Regarding isync - no such luck. There's only iTunes and the iPhone, no other apps in between. As soon as you decide to go with Exchange, there is little customization - only how many days worth of emails, and how to list the Contacts (First Name, Last Name).

Oh well, next version will be better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up