Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF6100 Adjust Length  (Read 2362 times)

shewhorn

• http://
IPF6100 Adjust Length
« on: July 12, 2008, 03:08:51 am »

Alright... I'm a bit miffed here. My $3000 printer can't print with any precision. I'm printing to Breathing Color's canvas and my 16"x24" is coming out 16"x23.625" (23 and 5/8ths). Sounds like I might be nit-picking but this can cause a bit of a headache when mounting it on stretcher bars and the problem is even worse at 20"x30".

I called the support line and they said to do an "adjust length". So, I know what the difference is already but you can't do an adjust length without printing (or so says tech support) so I get some super cheapo paper to bypass that part of things so I don't use up the expensive canvas, it does that, and then I go to enter the difference. IT WON'T LET ME.       It only has a range of +/- 0.7% which is fairly useless (unless I'm misunderstanding something at 24", 0.7% is 0.168" which is less than 11/64ths of a inch... ARGHHH... friggin' useless).

If it's printing at a length of 23.625" and it's supposed to be 24" well, that's a ~+1.59% difference in length. What the heck am I supposed to do with that? If anyone has solved this problem before I could definitely use some help here. I'm hoping it's just late and my ability to do math has gone out the window.

Cheers, Joe
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:15:09 am by shewhorn »

j-land

IPF6100 Adjust Length
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 06:24:21 am »

How about making a custom paper size that's 24 3/8"? May seem clunky, but sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do!  

jpgentry

IPF6100 Adjust Length
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:11:41 pm »

You need to make the sheet size larger than 24 if you want the print to be 24.  Make the sheet size 24.25 or something and let me know how that does for you.

-Jonathan

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
IPF6100 Adjust Length
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 01:39:25 pm »

It's not the brand of Canvas, this happens I believe with all Canvas.

On Epson, 9880, I add .1875 to the vertical height, before I print.  You should not be having any issues with the width.  This fixed the issue for me.  

Note, if you are gallery wrapping and adding mirrors to the side, I would recommend adding the .1875 before you do the mirrors.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

shewhorn

IPF6100 Adjust Length
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:49:38 pm »

You need to make the sheet size larger than 24 if you want the print to be 24.  Make the sheet size 24.25 or something and let me know how that does for you.

-Jonathan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jonathan, these prints are to be mounted on stretcher bars so I need some overlap (of unprinted canvas) for that. For the 16"x24" I've set up a size of 23"x29" so I'm already there.

Cheers, Joe
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:05:37 pm by shewhorn »

shewhorn

IPF6100 Adjust Length
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 02:04:53 pm »

It's not the brand of Canvas, this happens I believe with all Canvas.

Oops... sorry, didn't mean to imply it was the canvas I was using.

You should not be having any issues with the width.

Correct. Width is spot on.

I did a little more experimentation last night. This is a bit of a strange animal and I think it may have some bugs. Here's what the manual says:

Feed Priority
   Specify exact paper feeding, if desired. Normally, select Automatic . Choose Print Length if you prefer to feed the paper an exact amount. However, note that choosing Print Length may result in slight banding in the direction of Carriage scanning.

Adjust Length

Displayed if Feed Priority is Print Length .
Adjustment relative to the amount of stretching or shrinkage of the current paper.
Enter either the adjustment results from Print Pattern or the discrepancy that you measured (as a percentage).
For paper that tends to stretch, increase the feed amount by choosing a higher adjustment value. For paper that tends to shrink, decrease the feed amount by choosing a lower adjustment value.

So despite what the manual says, Feed priority was set to "Automatic" but the "Adjust Length" was still present. According to the manual it shouldn't have been. I changed the Feed Priority from Auto to "Print Length" and now it prints too long (also out of the +/- 0.7% range).

Now, here's another interesting tidbit, Media Type has an effect too. With the cheapo paper in there I tried changed the media type to see what would happen and reprinted the calibration page. It printed out at a different length. That leads me to believe that there's got to be a way to get this thing properly calibrated. I mean... if you think about it this problem would make it completely useless for producing technical drafts where the measurements need to be accurate. I'm just trying to avoid an extra step in post here.

Cheers, Joe
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:05:07 pm by shewhorn »

shewhorn

IPF6100 Adjust Length
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 05:00:04 pm »

OK, there is a solution (I think... haven't tried it quite yet). I spoke with tech support again and mentioned the issue. They said that... after you set the % in adjust length the printer zeros itself out again. In other words after you apply the offset, the original + offset becomes the new zero so could reach my desired offset by doing multiple adjustments (in theory). They did say that it eats media (you have to print out the test each time) in order to do this.

Now, if you go into menu->paper details->canvas matte 2... you will find the same "adjust length" parameter. I asked if I could just enter it straight in there without doing the print. The person I spoke with didn't know. I'm hoping you can (otherwise why would they put it there?).

I think Canon needs to hire someone who speaks English to rewrite the manual. This could have easily been an RTFB kind of thing but the explanation of "adjust length" is terse to begin with.

Cheers, Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up