Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LF digital lens with film?  (Read 1608 times)

michaelnotar

LF digital lens with film?
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:04:32 pm »

Im a P25 user and i just got a rodenstock 105mm digital LF lens, and its image circle covers 4x5, curious to know what to expect if i shot film with it. i would expect it to be excellent considering the lens is designed for the high demands of digital... any one ever do this?

thanks

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
LF digital lens with film?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:42:14 am »

Im a P25 user and i just got a rodenstock 105mm digital LF lens, and its image circle covers 4x5, curious to know what to expect if i shot film with it. i would expect it to be excellent considering the lens is designed for the high demands of digital... any one ever do this?

thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually the image circle is smaller than 4x5, can't remember precisely what it is but when introduced several years ago it had coverage enough just for the scan backs, but clipped the corners of 4x5. However I still have the same lens a superb one at that, but have also used it for 6x7/MF film holders as well and it performed very well.

That said if you look at the white papers published by both Rodenstock and Schneider you will find that digital lenses are optimized for a flat plane sensor where the RGB wavelengths are all focused on the same plane. Film lenses by comparison have the different wavelength focused at different corresponding depths within the emulsion. Hard to say how much difference this makes at the end of the day. One other thing worth mentioning is virtually all digital lenses I have seen specs on are optimized for F8-F11 to take full advantage of the laws of diffraction of most digital chips, films lenses might be optimized a bit different but you would have to turn this into a science project to know for sure.

Regardless the 105 is a great lens, enjoy!

Hope this helps.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up