Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My P30 died or is dying...  (Read 12538 times)

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
My P30 died or is dying...
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 04:29:02 pm »

I agree. The Ds is a great camera. Liked the images straight out of it, though there are wide variations between bodies.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 11:03:03 pm »

I agree. The Ds is a great camera. Liked the images straight out of it, though there are wide variations between bodies.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also agree.

The original 1ds is still a great camera.  I use it some and yes, there are variations between each one, some small some more noticeable.

It really was a ground breaking camera and still viable.  

I shot this a few months ago during a casting.

JR
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:30:15 pm by James R Russell »

Snook

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 11:31:10 am »

Guys I need to make a decision here and am a little confused.
Again being dependent on you all as usual.
I bought the P30 just from opinions here and never tried it first as again where I live it is difficult.

I have the Phase dealer bullying up on me again b/c I feel like I am in a corner.
I need to send my P30 in for it to be fixed,under guarantee until dec.2008, they knew I was interested in the new P30+ and camera so they are using that as a bargaining chip and are trying to make me buy the new p30+ at upgrade price.
So I would appreciate what you guys think especially the P30+ users.
I am being offered a New P30+ and Phamiya Kit for an upgrade price of around 12,000 (+-) I give them my back and nothing else.
The exact price is not important and I do not want anybody to get in the price war here, so a couple 100's $ here are there should not break the deal.

This is how I look at it.
My guarantee ends anyways in december and obviously the new P30+ will come with a full year guarantee. So that has to factor in some how or no?

Also was thinking if I need/want to sell in a year or 2 the P30+ will have more value than a P30 or no?
Can anybody tell me that if phase fixes my camera now, do they guarantee their fixes for a certain amount of time?

Does anybody know if I can,and what it would cost, to extend my P30 for another year?

I thought they told me I could only elongate the guarantee one time after the initial guarantee which was purchased by the first owner.?
I'd appreciate any help.
Also not sure if it matters but I will be traveling to the US from August 2 until the 19th of August.

I am not really sure where to put myself and will probably send an e-mail direct to Phase here soon to see what I need to do.
My Phase rep here has tried to state several times that it is not really his problem as I bought the P30 in the USA used with guarantee..
I think he was upset that I did not buy from him, but at the time buying the P30 used was WAY cheaper than what they were offering me.

I was and am pretty happy with the P30 but was wondering what all you professionals might think as it is really important to me.

I never really even got a straight answer if many feel the + series is all the much better than the non+ series.
I do hate the LCD on the P30 but never rely on it.. just the AD and stylist etc that want to see the image great in the LCD are more disappointed than me.
That and no instant Jpegs are really disappointing but deal with able..:+]
Thanks for any Help either from dealer or users..:+}
Thanks
Snook
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:32:41 am by Snook »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 12:18:46 pm »

As I understand it, the P30+ has two warranty options,

1 year classic (included in price of Back in US)  
3 year value add  (an additional cost of approx 3K US)

The base gives you no loner back if you have to send in your back for repair.  

When I purchased my back, I was told I could upgrade to the Value add warranty at any time during the 1 year base warranty for same cost 3K.  I was told I couldn't extend my 1 year base to another 1 year base.  

I would see if  you can get a deal where they included the 3 year value add or get your current P30 repaired under warranty and see if you can upgrade to a value add on it.

The upgrade pricing with Phase One is tricky.  I was told I would be given  an upragde price after 12 months of ownership of the back.  

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

yaya

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 12:26:31 pm »

Can't the dealer handle the repair locally and turn it around in a day or two?

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 12:48:47 pm »

I had the one year classic warranty on my P-25. When it went bad, something in the trigger circuit, it acted like a two shot error like the cable was bad but it was the back. My dealer sent it back to Denmark from USA it was supposed to take 21 days but came back in a little over 2 weeks. I had to use my Canon and rent another back once while it was gone. I was lucky to get by.
They also replaced the ir filter and cleaned it. no charge
I now have a plus back, I am not sure how much of an improvement it is. The screen only seems marginally better. I certainly like the added ISO quality. If you don't need that you may not want the upgrade.
Do you have the actual factory warranty for it? I would probably get it off to Denmark for repair.
You can always promise your next upgrade purchase to the dealer. The back should be eligible for upgrade even after the warranty is over. You might wait for the next generation.
If you have one of those aftermarket warranties, I might trade up, I am not sure I would trust anyone besides Phase to do the repair.
just my 2 cents

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 02:08:36 pm »

Warning - long response ....

Snook

It's always easier to spend someone else's money ...

That said here's a question for you.  The warranty you have that expires in December - is that the official Phase warranty or is it from your dealer (6months or 10k miles whichever comes first).  Here's my recommendation(s) based on your answer:

(1) Phase warranty - send the back in and get it fixed then check into extending the warranty knowing that it will cost you big bucks.
(2) Dealer warranty - my first impression is to run away.  My second thought is take Chris up on his offer to help.  

Phase was in the "in-between" stage when I ordered my back.  I hadn't thought I needed the Plus Back and all the bells and whistles of the extended warranty however there weren't any brand new non-plus back available.  I ordered the back (P30+) and received a factory refurbished hybrid non-plus P30 (it had just about everything the newer back had except the improved screen) to use until the Plus came.  I used this back for a couple months and enjoyed it.  My new back arrived and I had both back for a very short period (memory says about 24 hrs) and found that while I liked the non-plus I absolutely loved the new plus back.  You have remember that I am not a studio shooter - my "studio" is where I happen to be at the time whether it's the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon or elsewhere and the newer improved LCD while still lacking what I can see (size wise) in my Cannon is still much better than the older non-plus.

Warranty - I ordered the upgraded warranty for and additional $3K - the main reason that comes to mind is that when I had asked about extending the 1 year I was told that yes it could be done however the money needed was substantial and I just felt it made more sense to go the way I did - it just worked better for me.

Body - I've got the AFD II which has worked very well for me.  That said the newer III has intrigued me since it first was announced.  While the II is a fine working body it is nevertheless an "old" design (I'm not speaking about the body but more of the electronics etc).  The newer III promises faster AF and better "conversations" between the body and back.  Do I really need it?  Hell even I can't answer that but I did finally place an order for one from Chris after my return from Alaska.

As I said in the beginning - it's always easier when it's someone else's money.

Points to ponder ....

•   Getting a dealer is like a good marriage in that it's a partnership.  Do you really trust your dealer?  Do you think your dealer is looking out for you or just trying to make a fast buck.  If you answer no to either then look for another dealer.  My instant answer to both is yes - that's why I have no hesitation at all to recommend Capture Integration.
•   Your thoughts regarding the resale value of the two backs is correct (I think).  I would think that the resale of a Plus back will be much more than the non-plus.
•   What's the hold up in sending the back in to get it fixed?  Is it the dealer?  Do you feel pressured into making a decision on upgrading?  If the answers are yes see the first point.
•   No one can spend you money more wisely than yourself.  If you get the back fixed now then you have some breathing room before the warranty expires to make a more informed decision.

I've rambled on enough - I hope this helps if even just a little bit.  Best of luck.

don

Snook

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 02:35:30 pm »

Guys as usual I really appreciate the feedback.
I think I need to add a couple of things.
I would have bought from Chris from the beginning. Actually sent him several e-mails.
He is great.
The problem is/was that I live in South America.
The Phase dealer here is trying and has always been helpful but the standards here are very low and I think about 10 people in the whole country have digital backs... mostly CAnon and the Canon head quarters here are a JOKE.
So you can imagine A medium format market..
So in the long run the dealer here ,although,very helpful and has  a P45 as back-up for customers, whether fuzzy images or not...:+]
That is already a Big step an gives me some kind of security.
SO the only thing they were doing was being a go between to phase and me which I could have done the same.
Making a long story shorter...
The conveniences that are normal in the US and Europe are way behind here.
I actually had to find some one who imports the stupid little battery on the RZIID b/c they are to hard to find here and are usual dead when you can find them..:+}

Iron, I really appreciate the long post you posted.
I think and it was first instinct is to see how they handle my repair and then when I see how that all works out then I will make the trade up or sell my P30 privately.
I never really shoot above iso 100 and if really needed I always go with my 1DsMII as back up.

If they treat me good with my repair I will make the upgrade then the warranty runs out in December.
Again I would like to say my local phase dealer is trying to make a market here for Phase one an that will benefit me and others.
Might be a good time to see how they will handle everything before investing another 12,000 more or less.

Thanks for all the post.
Snook

marcmccalmont

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 02:37:47 pm »

Snook
My refurbished P30 just died also. Made a trip to Denmark, they replaced the communications board. I too was offered $8,000 to upgrade to a P30+. My decision is to keep it until next year and buy someones P45+ when the pros are buying the P65+ and trying to sell off their P45's
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Snook

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 03:42:10 pm »

Snook
My refurbished P30 just died also. Made a trip to Denmark, they replaced the communications board. I too was offered $8,000 to upgrade to a P30+. My decision is to keep it until next year and buy someones P45+ when the pros are buying the P65+ and trying to sell off their P45's
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Were you offered 8,000 for yours or you pay 8,000 and they give you a P30+..
That sounds about like mine as mine was with the Phamiya Kit for around 3500 more than you.
Which is about what the kit cost or no?

Did it just die? Mine the LCD just went white and it would somehow still shoot to computer for 1-2 shots then die.. Never got the C-1 screen back, Just a white LCD.

I am really happy with the P30. The only bummer is that I went with Phase as I did not want to have anything go wrong.. and about a year something happened.
I also BABY my stuff and the back never left the studio...

Hopefully phase is as good with their repairs as mentioned..:+}
That will make my upgrade a no brainer.
 I will see if These guys can help me here and I'll even happily pay them some kind of commission.
I bought the back from a Member here who bought it from Sammy's in LA and then extended the Warranty for one year.
I sent Phase an e-mail and they did tell me he purchased the extra year as it was a part of the "deal" we made.
Does anybody know the correct procedure in case some how my phase rep here does not "want" to help.
I am actually going on Vacation for 3 weeks so I would love to have it fixed between now and the 20th of August, which is more than a month. I think more than enough.

Thanks for any further help or suggestions and Thanks for all the info so far.
Snook

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 05:29:50 pm »

My understanding was that you do have to go through a dealer to get warranty work.
I also think something like yours would have to go back to Denmark for repair.
If they are an official Phase dealer, I would think they would have no problem getting an ok to send it back to Phase and just get it overnighted or at least 2day for repair, that sounds ideal with the vacation and all.
I would think they would want to expedite things even if you don't upgrade now, you will likely upgrade with them later.
good luck on this
You could try posting something on the Phase Forums, the  forum is not as nice as this one but the Phase people will respond and get involved is necessary.

Snook

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 12:05:53 pm »

My understanding was that you do have to go through a dealer to get warranty work.
I also think something like yours would have to go back to Denmark for repair.
If they are an official Phase dealer, I would think they would have no problem getting an ok to send it back to Phase and just get it overnighted or at least 2day for repair, that sounds ideal with the vacation and all.
I would think they would want to expedite things even if you don't upgrade now, you will likely upgrade with them later.
good luck on this
You could try posting something on the Phase Forums, the  forum is not as nice as this one but the Phase people will respond and get involved is necessary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well I decided to have my local dealer send it in and I would like to see the service they provide and how phase responds.

I have to pay the Fedex which will already be $$$ from South America to Denmark!!
Speaking of which does phase have any kind of Defex account that is cheaper and I could pay them.
Fedex here is OUCH expensive, But I need to ship from here I am pretty sure b/c of Import taxes which are really high aswell and I already paid them.. 19% OUCH...:+]

Luckily I have a 3 week vacation coming up so it works out pretty good as I imagine they could get it off,fixed and back in 3 weeks? I heard they are really pretty quick.
What I have decided is that I will keep the P30 as back up. I figure for the 6-7 grand upgrade price that I was trading, it would be better to have a P30 as Back up.
My only concern is I still cannot get a straight answer about the warranty.
The guy I bought the camera from bought a 1 year extended warranty before I bought it,part of the deal, Can I buy another year extended warranty BEFORE my warranty ends in December 2008

And if so How many times can you extend the warranty this way??
 And more importantly, how much does it usually cost for basic 1 year coverage?
SO What I want is in December to be able an buy a P30+ Kit with warranty and buy another year warranty for the P30?
Thanks for any information.
If no body post here I'll have to send an e-mail to Phase I guess.
These are things I miss about the good ole US of A...:+}
Service in South America is so "different". Here they act like they are do you a favor all the time, In general, not with Phase..:+}
Snook
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:08:40 pm by Snook »

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 12:31:16 pm »

Snook,
I don't know the answer to all of those questions about the warranty stuff. I guess the service is different down there because with mine I only had to pay for the overnight to my dealer which was not in my city and the rest I did not have to pay for. If you have time because of your vacation maybe 3 day would be more cost effective. This has to be frustrating to you because it has been going on so long you probably could have sent it ground by now. Shouldn't there be customs forms so you don't have to repay any duties. Your dealer really should be taking care of all this stuff for you.

Snook

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 01:04:23 pm »

Snook,
I don't know the answer to all of those questions about the warranty stuff. I guess the service is different down there because with mine I only had to pay for the overnight to my dealer which was not in my city and the rest I did not have to pay for. If you have time because of your vacation maybe 3 day would be more cost effective. This has to be frustrating to you because it has been going on so long you probably could have sent it ground by now. Shouldn't there be customs forms so you don't have to repay any duties. Your dealer really should be taking care of all this stuff for you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209736\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks David..
Yes there should be but here not everything is fluid...:+}
If I were in the sates fedex is no big deal.. here everything cost 3-5 times as they are not as big as the USA so I guess their margin a LOT less b/c they charge a LOT more.
I will tell them at least 3 days express not faster.
Has not been going on that long really just I had a loaner and they were kind of waiting to see if I was going to do the upgrade at which they would have passed me a P30+ kit right away until mine came in..:+]
Again I have faith in Phase and luckily have the time so no rush. My dealer said something about maybe sending it to the US as maybe it could be fixed there, which I have never heard, But I said I prefer it go to Denmark so they can give a Good Check over from the Phase guys themselves.
I have heard of phase also going ahead and fixing things and cleaning everything really nice aswell...
Snook

marcmccalmont

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 03:22:36 pm »

Were you offered 8,000 for yours or you pay 8,000 and they give you a P30+..
That sounds about like mine as mine was with the Phamiya Kit for around 3500 more than you.
Which is about what the kit cost or no?

Did it just die? Mine the LCD just went white and it would somehow still shoot to computer for 1-2 shots then die.. Never got the C-1 screen back, Just a white LCD.

I am really happy with the P30. The only bummer is that I went with Phase as I did not want to have anything go wrong.. and about a year something happened.
I also BABY my stuff and the back never left the studio...

Hopefully phase is as good with their repairs as mentioned..:+}
That will make my upgrade a no brainer.
 I will see if These guys can help me here and I'll even happily pay them some kind of commission.
I bought the back from a Member here who bought it from Sammy's in LA and then extended the Warranty for one year.
I sent Phase an e-mail and they did tell me he purchased the extra year as it was a part of the "deal" we made.
Does anybody know the correct procedure in case some how my phase rep here does not "want" to help.
I am actually going on Vacation for 3 weeks so I would love to have it fixed between now and the 20th of August, which is more than a month. I think more than enough.

Thanks for any further help or suggestions and Thanks for all the info so far.
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I purchased mine from capture integration and they coordinated the repair. With a classic warranty I did not get a loaner but the repair is covered. Capture integration did a very good job coordinating the repair.

Mine slowly failed over a month. occasionally being unreliable until finally the camera did not recognize the back at all.

The offer was 8K (US) plus the P30 for a P30+. way too much in my opinion as a year from now we will see P45+ for sale under 20K

What I really want to wait for is a full framed microlens sensor with less resolution than a P65 but more dynamic range and less high iso noise (like every one else)i.e. bigger better pixels not more resolution.
Marc
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:24:12 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 04:16:32 pm »

Also was thinking if I need/want to sell in a year or 2 the P30+ will have more value than a P30 or no?
Can anybody tell me that if phase fixes my camera now, do they guarantee their fixes for a certain amount of time?

I'll check on it for you.

Does anybody know if I can,and what it would cost, to extend my P30 for another year?

You can.  It will cost you $1990.00 US for a 1 Year Uptime Assurance Warranty.  It will cost you $2,990.00 for a 1 Year Uptime Assurance Warranty if your DB is out of warranty.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 04:28:03 pm »

I'll check on it for you.
You can.  It will cost you $1990.00 US for a 1 Year Uptime Assurance Warranty.  It will cost you $2,990.00 for a 1 Year Uptime Assurance Warranty if your DB is out of warranty.
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Chris you have to be one of or the most helpful Phase one person I know of..
I am sure all this information might help someone thinking about buying a Phase One also.

Chris is that extension as many times as I like as long as it is before mine ends..?

For some reason when I bought it I thought some one told me that you could only upgrade once after the extended maybe I am wrong or maybe it changed?

In any case thank you so much for trying to help.
I know who I'd deal with for sure if I was in the USA..:+]
Snook

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 04:59:34 pm »

Snook,

I talked with the Phase One techs in NY.  I did find out that your repair is covered for 6 months from  when it fixed.  This does not extend your warranty for the entire back, but just the repaired part.  It will also extend past your original warranty period if lapses.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 05:23:18 pm »

Snook,

I talked with the Phase One techs in NY.  I did find out that your repair is covered for 6 months from  when it fixed.  This does not extend your warranty for the entire back, but just the repaired part.  It will also extend past your original warranty period if lapses.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Great Chris Thank you.
That does make sense and very fare.
Have not heard from my phase guy here but will call them first thing tomorrow morning.
Snook

Snook

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 09:38:37 pm »

Great Chris Thank you.
That does make sense and very fare.
Have not heard from my phase guy here but will call them first thing tomorrow morning.
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209812\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Guys got the P30 back today and they did a great Job..
They Fixed several things and one I really noticed was they did a focus calibration...
I noticed it right away that my pictures were sharper..
I did not know you could calibrate the back??
In any case they change out the LCD screen updated everything and Work flawlessly today all day in studio.
No disconnection problems at all.
I will see how it hold up on the RZProIID which was giving me most of the problems before.

The service was top notch and pretty fast considering where I live.. And it went to New York first then Denmark.
Thanks again to Phase One for the Great service...:+}
Snook
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up