Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My P30 died or is dying...  (Read 12540 times)

Snook

My P30 died or is dying...
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:27:18 pm »

Today out of no where my LCD screen went white... I could still shoot and the pictures would come into the computer but then finally the P30 would not start up?
Has anybody ever had this happen?
Have warranty until Dec 2008 so I might have gotten lucky?
Was quite strange b/c a Phase rep called me offering me a great upgrade price to change in my P30 for a P30 + and the new Phamiya with 80mm..
I think I am going to jump on the deal..
Has anybody ever seem this happen to a phase back before?

I Baby all my equipment and the P30 actually has never left the studio until today.
Some times it turns on but the LCD is completely White???

Thanks for any suggestions...:+]
Snook

R_Medvid

• http://kadru.net
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 06:04:09 pm »

Today out of no where my LCD screen went white... ...

Was quite strange b/c a Phase rep called me offering me a great upgrade price to change in my P30 for a P30 + and the new Phamiya with 80mm..
I think I am going to jump on the deal...

Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry to hear about this, Snook. I bought my P30 a couple of weeks ago, so what you are talking here would be my terrible nightmare...  

And what was the deal?  
Roman Medvid
Mamiya AFD / P40+
http://kadru.net

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 06:05:38 pm »

Today out of no where my LCD screen went white... I could still shoot and the pictures would come into the computer but then finally the P30 would not start up?

I Baby all my equipment and the P30 actually has never left the studio until today.

Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've never seen anything like that, not even close and it's none of my business which direction you go, but before I would spend another penny, I would send the p30 in under warranty and see how well and how fast they respond.

Then and only then would I invest any more.

This can tell you a lot.

JR

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 06:13:32 pm »

SUCKS to be you doesn't it??

Thank god for that extended warranty!!!  I have a P21+, P25  P30+ and P45 and have not had a problem with any in three and half years.  Running on both Mamiya and Hasselblad V / Hasselblad H.

I have heard of a lot of problems but never from Phase.

From the sounds of it, it could be major moisture problems.  I had a friend in Brighton, England that shot near the water a lot and his P25 took a bath in the sea and he pulled it out right away.  He then dried it and let it sit for a few weeks.  Got it dry and worked again.  But two or three weeks later started getting the white screen and shorting out.  He got a replacement loaner from Phase but then Phase sent his old back back from repair with a VOID warranty letter.  The warranty was voided because of moisture damage.

You sure you never dropped it in the water or had a major splash?  Once Phase opens it they will be able to tell if has been soaked.  If it has, you have a $15k brick sitting there.

S.O.LLLLLLLLLLLL...................

Snook

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

The Rep just called me and said he called the USA and supposedly they said it might be a Voltage problem..
And No I have never use the Back out of the Studio...
It was weird.. was shooting and then it was shut off and when I turned it on the LCD was White.
It would send images to the computer anyways and then would cut off...
Really strange..
I will stay with Phase as I really am happy with the back.
Will find out Monday everything, But supposedly they might just take it in aas trade in anyways and If I pay the xtra I'll get the P30+ and the Phamiya Kit...
Which seems like a pretty good deal. as just extending my warranty would be 3,000$ Which I do not think I can even do as I extended it once when I bought it used.
Will let you guys know..
One reason I went with phase was just for the reason that I did not want to have any problems and they are famous as being Tanks..
I am really surprised...
Thanks for the Condolences...:+}
The Phase Rep did give me a P45 for the next weeks or so until we figure out what is going to happen.
James you post as if you have had troubles getting the service from Phase.. did I read into that correctly?

Thanks again
Snook

Funny How I get bummed now when I have to use the Canon 1DsMII as back-up...
I was totally upset that I had to use it... seriously
Will be getting a MIII in the near future as back up instead, as it is "supposedly" much better than the 1DsMII...
To tell you the truth I always like the 1Ds.. the colors out  of it were different..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:34:32 pm by Snook »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 06:41:41 pm »

The Phase Rep did give me a P45 for the next weeks or so until we figure out what is going to happen.
James you post as if you have had troubles getting the service from Phase.. did I read into that correctly?

Thanks again
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207422\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I've never had a problem other than a slight firewire issue from a bum cable, but nothing to do with Phase.

Actually, I've know very, very few people that have had an issue with a Phase back breaking down.

JR

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 06:55:59 pm »

Since you bought it used you may want to make sure the person you bought it from didn't get it wet.

You will truly be in the shitter then!

TMARK

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 08:51:05 pm »

If you get your P30 fixed you could sell it for between $9k and $10k USD and buy a P30+/Phamiya combo for $18k in the states.  I know you had been offered the upgrade for $13k, but that is much too high.  Just a thought.

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 09:17:22 pm »

I had some trouble with my previous back which was a P-25, I think problems are unusual but this one had an intermittent problem where it would not capture. it finally broke completely but phase fixed it under warranty fairly quickly and easily. It was the only back I had ever had a problem with. They replaced a circuit board and also the IR filter while it was in.

I guess if someone had moisture damage, it would have to be covered by their business insurance.

Snook

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 10:35:54 pm »

I had some trouble with my previous back which was a P-25, I think problems are unusual but this one had an intermittent problem where it would not capture. it finally broke completely but phase fixed it under warranty fairly quickly and easily. It was the only back I had ever had a problem with. They replaced a circuit board and also the IR filter while it was in.
I guess if someone had moisture damage, it would have to be covered by their business insurance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for all the info..
Like I said I have had the back for almost a year and it never left the studio.. I live in a very dry country also...:+]
If they told me there was water damage I would have to put up a good fight..:+]
Like I said when the rep mentioned it to someone in the states they said it might be a Voltage problem or it sounded like they new what it was just from the description? Whether that is true we'll see...
Snook

erikhillard

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 11:10:25 pm »

I have heard of a lot of problems but never from Phase.

Hahahah...  thats a good one JTFOTO.

Snook.. contact Phase ASAP, they generally make good on their warranty and repairs.

Erik Hillard  Running Pixels [url=http:

Chris Livsey

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 04:23:45 am »

Actually, I've know very, very few people that have had an issue with a Phase back breaking down.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which makes you look at the cost of extended warranties and how frequently they are called upon does it not ?

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 08:26:50 am »

Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

Your local Phase One dealer will be able to help you get your DB working.  Do you know if the back has a one year or three year warranty until Dec 2008?  If it is part of a three year warranty, you are eligible for a loaner unit while your DB is in for repair.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 09:53:45 am »

Snook,

Your local Phase One dealer will be able to help you get your DB working.  Do you know if the back has a one year or three year warranty until Dec 2008?  If it is part of a three year warranty, you are eligible for a loaner unit while your DB is in for repair.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207574\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks CHris.. No I had an extended 1 Year extra that I made the guy I bought the back from buy before I bought it from him...
My rep here is actually just being really cool and will try and handle the whole thing for me and he lent me a P45 until we figure it out.
I am probably going to upgrade to the P30+ and Phamiya Kit with him so we both win..:+]
I going to have to see how long they will take.
Chris do you know how it usually works. I bought the camera from a guy in the USA and he bought the extended warranty through Sammy's, which I was no so happy about but that is where he bought the back from..
Would I normally have to send the back to Sammy's or is it usually a direct claim with Phase?
I live in South America where everything is a lot slower..
Thanks again for the Help and suggestions..
Snook

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 12:01:35 pm »

If it is one of those "after market" warranties like "MAC" and not direct through Phase One, it could be a pain to deal with. It sounds like you have a good dealer though who will help you with this. The upgrade deal could be a good way to go in that case.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 06:37:27 pm »

Thanks CHris.. No I had an extended 1 Year extra that I made the guy I bought the back from buy before I bought it from him...
My rep here is actually just being really cool and will try and handle the whole thing for me and he lent me a P45 until we figure it out.
I am probably going to upgrade to the P30+ and Phamiya Kit with him so we both win..:+]
I going to have to see how long they will take.
Chris do you know how it usually works. I bought the camera from a guy in the USA and he bought the extended warranty through Sammy's, which I was no so happy about but that is where he bought the back from..
Would I normally have to send the back to Sammy's or is it usually a direct claim with Phase?
I live in South America where everything is a lot slower..
Thanks again for the Help and suggestions..
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

Contact your local dealer.  He will be able to start a case for you and possibly have you run some tests on the back.  If you have to send it to Phase, your dealer can help you with that process.
Let me know if you might need Capture Integration's assistance.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 11:02:53 pm »

Snook

Any update?

don

Snook

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 08:49:39 am »

Snook

Any update?

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208269\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Nothing yet but will let you guys know for sure.
One thing I would like to add is I did/Do not like the P45 that much. Seems the Focus is way more critical and no matter where my focus was it looked a little softer than my P30.
The extra room was OK..
The extra size of the files is actually a pain.
I would not even want a P45 if they offered me one.. I really like the P30..
Hopefully they can get it fixed. I will need to call him today and see what we are going to do. I live in South America and things are pretty Slow around here.
Luckily they let me borrow one even though I did not buy from them.
Thanks for all the help..
Again does any know what the turn around usually is?
Snook

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 01:15:47 pm »

Nothing yet but will let you guys know for sure.
One thing I would like to add is I did/Do not like the P45 that much. Seems the Focus is way more critical and no matter where my focus was it looked a little softer than my P30.
The extra room was OK..
The extra size of the files is actually a pain.
I would not even want a P45 if they offered me one.. I really like the P30..
Hopefully they can get it fixed. I will need to call him today and see what we are going to do. I live in South America and things are pretty Slow around here.
Luckily they let me borrow one even though I did not buy from them.
Thanks for all the help..
Again does any know what the turn around usually is?
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My much older memory fails me at times however didn't you change the focus screen to match your P30?  Would that matter?

don

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 02:51:07 pm »

To tell you the truth I always like the 1Ds.. the colors out  of it were different..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207422\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I still have the Ds. Beautiful camera. When prices go down I may get a spare. Mine is on its third shutter.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up