Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mat questions  (Read 2071 times)

dwood

Mat questions
« on: July 11, 2008, 04:59:14 pm »

I've got some 10 x15 and 16 x24 images that I want to mat and would like to know what you folks recommend.

1. For those of you who use a back mat and a window mat, are you typically using a couple of 4-ply mats for your this, 8-ply or some other combination.

2. If you matted an image with 2 mats as described above, would you also use a backing board with this or forego this step.

Obviously, I'm new to this and while I thought about posting this in the 'beginner's section, it seemed like I might be better served here.

Cheers

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Mat questions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:41:34 pm »

I would start with,

2 4 ply mats, 1/4 or 3/8" reveal.  Double mat.  

Mount the print to foam core.  

Good place to start.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Mat questions
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:21:28 pm »

As Paul says, mount the print to some stiff substrate.  At your sizes you're getting into the range where print ripple (as from hinge mounting) can be a real problem especially due to all the empty space you will have between print and glazing with those double mattes.  Wouldn't trade my drymount press for anything, except a vacuum-heat press.

dwood

Mat questions
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 11:07:26 pm »

Thanks gents. I'll start experimenting.

Tklimek

Mat questions
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:36:31 pm »

I also agree with what Paul said.

I print out at sizes close to what you are talking about and use double mats (4 ply) and foamcore backing.  By using double mats, you end up with an effective 8 ply which provides adequate space between your image surface and any type of frame glass/plexi.  I do mount the prints to the foamcore using t-hinges (I learned all of this from LLVJ 15 "How to Mat" and from "Camera to Print", as well as questions asked on this board).

If you are new to this, you would probably really like to see the video on Luminous Landscape Video Journal #15; the interview with Bill Atkinson and how he mats his prints; it is very good.  There is also a very similar treatment in the video tutorial "From Camera to Print" in which Michael follows very similar steps.

Cheers...

Todd

I've got some 10 x15 and 16 x24 images that I want to mat and would like to know what you folks recommend.

1. For those of you who use a back mat and a window mat, are you typically using a couple of 4-ply mats for your this, 8-ply or some other combination.

2. If you matted an image with 2 mats as described above, would you also use a backing board with this or forego this step.

Obviously, I'm new to this and while I thought about posting this in the 'beginner's section, it seemed like I might be better served here.

Cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up