Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can RAW files be reprocessed?  (Read 4412 times)

Mark F

Can RAW files be reprocessed?
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:00:38 pm »

Hi,

When I download my pictures from my Canon DSLR to my iMac I use the Canon software that came with the camera. I shoot in RAW + JPEG.  I have not yet bought Lightroom as I have read that there is a new version coming out soon.  So my question is, once the files are downloaded to my computer can the RAW files be reprocessed with Lightroom or is there only one bite at the apple?

Thanks.

Mark F
Mark

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:35:39 pm »

The image data in the raw file is never changed - and adjustments made in ACR or Lightroom are held as metadata.  You can open the raw file and change the processing parameters as often as you want.  BTW Lightroom replaces DPP, so technically after you download and open in Lightroom you are not re-processing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:36:53 pm by Tim Gray »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:44:27 pm »

Hi,

When I download my pictures from my Canon DSLR to my iMac I use the Canon software that came with the camera. I shoot in RAW + JPEG.  I have not yet bought Lightroom as I have read that there is a new version coming out soon.  So my question is, once the files are downloaded to my computer can the RAW files be reprocessed with Lightroom or is there only one bite at the apple?

Thanks.

Mark F
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207168\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
RAW processors leave the original raw file alone and produce a separate, processed file that incorporates your processing instructions. This processed file is usually a tiff or jpeg. The original raw file can then be processed over and over as often as you change your mind about how you want it to look.

I often go back and reprocess old images, largely because I have learned a bit more about how to do it since I started in digital several years ago. That's one of the nice things about digital: you can develop your 'negative' over many times.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Panopeeper

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:35:19 pm »

So my question is, once the files are downloaded to my computer can the RAW files be reprocessed with Lightroom or is there only one bite at the apple?
Not only that they can be processed again; they have to be.

DPP stores the adjustments in the raw file (it DOES change the raw file, though not the image data), in a proprietory form. When you change to Lightroom, these adjustments go up in smoke, you have to start from the beginning.
Gabor

picnic

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:53:38 am »

Hi,

When I download my pictures from my Canon DSLR to my iMac I use the Canon software that came with the camera. I shoot in RAW + JPEG.  I have not yet bought Lightroom as I have read that there is a new version coming out soon.  So my question is, once the files are downloaded to my computer can the RAW files be reprocessed with Lightroom or is there only one bite at the apple?

Thanks.

Mark F
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207168\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know this isn't exactly what you asked about (which has been answered above), but beyond being able to reprocess all your RAWs, LR gives you the option of adding 'virtual copies' which you can reset and reprocess in other ways--but with little room on your HD.  I often have my original processed LR and then a virtual copy in mono--or just the chance to try 2 different ways and compare side by side.  

Diane

Mark F

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:37:53 pm »

Thanks very much for the information. I was concerned that the software used at the time of download would forever effect the file. Glad to know better. I really like the analogy to redeveloping the negative.

Mark F
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up