Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little Library help needed  (Read 2207 times)

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
A little Library help needed
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:32:10 pm »

I already searched in the forum but didn't find any answers.

I have a problem. I made the super stupid mistake of moving files and folders outside of LR, now I have to redirect the new location. That is fine and works as advertised however due to my file structure I cannot have the folder in LR with the top folders name. I'll explain.

When I finish a shoot I create a folder called JOBxxx, inside of it I create another one called DNG, maybe I'll have one called JPEG, and another called RGB or whatever else I need. The thing is that when I point the missing files to the new location I'll see just the DNG folder or whichever subfolder that actually contains the files, instead of the JOBxxx folder.
As you can imagine I will end up in my folder column with a hundred folders called DNG. Not very informative, isn't it?
If, say, I import the JOBxxx folder, it will say there is nothing to import, everything is already in the Library. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Sergio

Jon Meddings

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:37:59 am »

Sergio, been there and done that. One of the small niggles I have with LR. However, you can work around this. You need to do 2 things. First reorganize your directories (IN LR not explorer) and then alter your method of ingesting files into LR.  Let me explain.

1. I assume you have a directory above JOBxxx. Lets just say it is \images as an example. You need to add a single image to this directory (it can be anything and can be thrown away at the end - just trust me and do it... :-)  Import that image into LR.

Then in the folders section drag all your folders into the images directory (they are already there on your disk but LR does not see it that way). At the end of this you should end up in the LR folders section with Images and under this each of the Jobs and under them each of the subdirectories you've made. You will have to drag each of them there once and that will take a while (took me a couple of days to move 20,000 + images in multiple directories into the format I had on the disk).

2. Once you've done this you don't want to recreate the mess you've got now in the future. The way to avoid it (at least the one I've found) is in how you import your next set of pictures. There are a couple of ways of doing this but the simplest from what it sounds like your directory structure is would be to ALWAYS select the images directory and tell it to use that. What LR does is then look at all the files under this directory and import only those that are not already in the library (i.e. the new ones).  

This works for me Sergio.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:00:32 am »

Thank you.   I will have to create this directory as I have everything that is "live" in the root of a big drive.

Regards,

Sergio
Pages: [1]   Go Up