Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon ipf5100 mac  (Read 5654 times)

kcphotg

canon ipf5100 mac
« on: July 10, 2008, 04:09:22 pm »

I have a new ipf5100 that I am setting up with my wireless mac (OS10.5) network - I have the ipf5100  plugged into the airport extreme usb port- the printer is identified as a bonjour printer and can be added as a printer however the canon drivers do not recognize that it is there- I have the latest canon US drivers downloaded. If I execut a print comand the printer feed a sheet of paper but no printing, no ability to select media or use media selection tool to upgarde media types- any suggestions on sert would be appreciated. The printer is remote from my computer so I really need to go wireles but need a solution-

One Horse Studio

canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:24:15 pm »

Try over at the iPF Wiki and see if anybody there has tried a wireless setup.

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/

I have mine on a cat6 crossover cable direct with no problems......unless you are so far from your computer that it is impossible to run a cable I would suggest doing that as it may prove to be easier in the long run......no pun intended   .

Greg....

Heming

canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:50:53 pm »

I'm using Windows.  But it maybe the same for both systems.  I had a lot of trouble to set mine back in March.  I don't think iPF5100 is wireless ready.  As the printer is huge, I couldn't put it in the same room as my computer.  Here is what I did:  I configered the computer (load the Canon driver) with the computer directly connected to the printer.  Then I made my computer wirelessly coonect to the network while the printer directly connected to the network hub.  I hope this will help.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:44:13 pm »

I have a new ipf5100 that I am setting up with my wireless mac (OS10.5) network - I have the ipf5100  plugged into the airport extreme usb port- the printer is identified as a bonjour printer and can be added as a printer however the canon drivers do not recognize that it is there- I have the latest canon US drivers downloaded. If I execut a print comand the printer feed a sheet of paper but no printing, no ability to select media or use media selection tool to upgarde media types- any suggestions on sert would be appreciated. The printer is remote from my computer so I really need to go wireles but need a solution-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure the USB port of the Airport will support the Canon driver.  I know this has been a problem in the past using higher end printers.

Doesn't the 5100 have an ethernet port (I know it is standard on the 6100).  That's how I have my ipf6100 connected.  Works great over the network from my mac.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:58:03 pm »

If at all possible, I would never print over a wireless network. Too many things to go wrong. My expectation would be that it would not work reliably to begin with. Go with wires.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

kcphotg

canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:58:55 pm »

Well, I opted for the drooping ethernet cable- I assigned a static IP to the printer, but I don"t find the printer when I try to add it using the static IP I selected in my add printer dialog box-(although I can bring it up in my browser with that IP address).

Scott Martin

• Onsight
canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »

That's weird, all iPF printers connected via ethernet should show up via Bonjour without any additional headaches.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 01:47:01 pm »

If at all possible, I would never print over a wireless network. Too many things to go wrong. My expectation would be that it would not work reliably to begin with. Go with wires.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've been doing it for years.  Never a problem.  What is there to go wrong?
Well, I opted for the drooping ethernet cable-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So you have a drooping ethernet cable going to the airport?  Does it droop worse than the USB cable you were using?  Guess I can't see why there would be any difference in which type of cable you are using.

That's weird, all iPF printers connected via ethernet should show up via Bonjour without any additional headaches.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208813\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That has been my experience as well.  Install the driver, plug in the printer, and then create a printer queue on the Mac.  My network has a DHCP server, I assume the printer is assigned an address.  Setting up a manual IP address shouldn't matter, should still show up. (sorry I know that isn't much help to the OP).

f/Ryan

canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:07:32 pm »

I had the exact same problem with my IPF5100.  Called Canon and they said that connections via Apple Airport Express (in my case) are inconsistent at best and suggested I try a 3rd party wireless router. Bought a $50 Cisco router (ethernet connection), problem solved.  

Good Luck
Ryan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:34:02 am by f/Ryan »

Mosccol

canon ipf5100 mac
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 01:31:10 pm »

I have a new ipf5100 that I am setting up with my wireless mac (OS10.5) network - I have the ipf5100  plugged into the airport extreme usb port- the printer is identified as a bonjour printer and can be added as a printer however the canon drivers do not recognize that it is there- I have the latest canon US drivers downloaded.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For what it's worth, I have had problems with my HP photosmart all in one after upgrading to OSX 10.5.2 or 3. Ensure that you have 10.5.4, as well as the latest Airport firmware/software (this was updated perhaps 4 weeks ago) then reinstall the Canon drivers from the original download. It worked for my HP.
Canon 7 & L Glass + iPhone 6 ... Where n
Pages: [1]   Go Up