Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving libraries in LR2  (Read 2527 times)

glenerrolrd

Moving libraries in LR2
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:37:33 am »

Having trouble moving my libraries from my harddrive to external drive.  While I have done this many times in LR1...I must have forgotten something.   Normally I could start at the first image in a folder ...follow the locate method and  it would index the entire folder.  I have tried a select all then locating the initial image but I only can reindex one image at a time.  Since I have 2500 images ....need the correct way to do this.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Moving libraries in LR2
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:41:35 am »

That's a bug in the public beta. Instead right click folders to update their location. And in general, once images are registered in LR, use LR to move them.

glenerrolrd

Moving libraries in LR2
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

That's a bug in the public beta. Instead right click folders to update their location. And in general, once images are registered in LR, use LR to move them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206992\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry I don t understand your recommendation.  I am on a MAC....I haven t found a way to highlight the folder and create a locate message.  I have to go to the 1st image and click on the ? this seemed to work most of the time in previous versions of LR.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Moving libraries in LR2
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:31 am »

Try the Sync Folder command (contextual menu).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

glenerrolrd

Moving libraries in LR2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:47:49 am »

Try the Sync Folder command (contextual menu).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
On a MAC its CNTRL /Click and find the folder comes up and solved the problem.  same as on LR1 except that in LR1 you could find just the first image.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Moving libraries in LR2
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:35:50 pm »

In LR1 you had locate folder or the question mark. LR2 Beta is the same but the latter method has the bug you found. Fixing the folder location is often better as you can fix a folder and all its subfolders in one go.

In general though, it's better to try to use Lightroom and not Finder/Explorer for moving files around - then you won't have to fix things afterwards.

glenerrolrd

Moving libraries in LR2
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:17:09 pm »

In LR1 you had locate folder or the question mark. LR2 Beta is the same but the latter method has the bug you found. Fixing the folder location is often better as you can fix a folder and all its subfolders in one go.

In general though, it's better to try to use Lightroom and not Finder/Explorer for moving files around - then you won't have to fix things afterwards.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]Good point I will have to start doing that.  Generally i build a folder while in the field on my laptop harddrive  then move it offline after I have done the major edits.  This allows me to work without an external drive on planes etc ...but I am limited to maybe 30GB after that its time to move it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up