Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera calibration in LR for XT  (Read 6709 times)

Littlefield

Camera calibration in LR for XT
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:44:34 am »

Never really thought about this before.
I have LR and XT and have just left this function on with ACR 3.1 selected. I guess ACR 4.4 is for more real pro cameras right ? I never use the settings so should I just turn it off or does it really matter ?
Thanks
Don

The View

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:48:02 am »

Not sure what you mean, but 4.4 is an upgrade, not an "advanced software for pro cameras".

So if you can get the upgrade, it's a good thing to do.

Camera calibration is, to my knowledge, only useful if you shoot under controlled lighting conditions, e.g. using studio flashes where the light is of always repeatable quality.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:48:29 am by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Littlefield

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:14:56 am »

Not sure what you mean, but 4.4 is an upgrade, not an "advanced software for pro cameras".

So if you can get the upgrade, it's a good thing to do.

Camera calibration is, to my knowledge, only useful if you shoot under controlled lighting conditions, e.g. using studio flashes where the light is of always repeatable quality.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206885\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks
Yea it is on LR 1.4.1 as an upgrade. I admit I never though about it and just leave camera calibration running with 3.1 selected.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:15:22 am by Littlefield »

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:46:28 pm »

Either one will work just fine. I have used both on D70 and notice no difference in the results on paper or screen.

Rich

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:22:26 pm »

Which like much of your other "knowledge" of things digital, is more ignorance than anything else. Properly adjusting the calibration settings in ACR will do more for getting good color from your converted RAWs than pretty much anything else, in almost any lighting. Buy a Color Checker and download ACR Calibrator L and follow the instructions, and see for yourself.

Littlefield

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 07:40:41 pm »

Which like much of your other "knowledge" of things digital, is more ignorance than anything else. Properly adjusting the calibration settings in ACR will do more for getting good color from your converted RAWs than pretty much anything else, in almost any lighting. Buy a Color Checker and download ACR Calibrator L and follow the instructions, and see for yourself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jonathan, what if you do not have photoshop and have a XT .What would you do to get those settings ?
I have seen some and tried them as presets and they turn skin color  too red.
Thanks
 Don
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 07:41:18 pm by Littlefield »

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:12:01 pm »

Jonathan, what if you do not have photoshop and have a XT .What would you do to get those settings ?
I have seen some and tried them as presets and they turn skin color  too red.
Thanks
 Don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Can the calibration be done with PS CS or do you have to have PS CS3 to use the latest script??
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:00:47 pm »

I have seen some and tried them as presets and they turn skin color  too red.

You need to run the script in Photoshop. But once the script is run, the results can be used in LR or PS. You need to run the script on a RAW from your camera, as there is significant variation from camera to camera. I just finished running the script on RAWs from 5 Nikon D200 cameras, some of which had consecutive serial numbers. I shot the same Color Checker in direct sunlight with all cameras, and none of them had the same calibration settings, even the ones with consecutive serials. Using someone else's camera calibration settings is rather like using someone else's toothbrush.

Littlefield

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:42:33 pm »

You need to run the script in Photoshop. But once the script is run, the results can be used in LR or PS. You need to run the script on a RAW from your camera, as there is significant variation from camera to camera. I just finished running the script on RAWs from 5 Nikon D200 cameras, some of which had consecutive serial numbers. I shot the same Color Checker in direct sunlight with all cameras, and none of them had the same calibration settings, even the ones with consecutive serials. Using someone else's camera calibration settings is rather like using someone else's toothbrush.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Jonathan ,yea I have really had no color problems  but a post in POTN got me curious.  Funny analogy with the toothbrush.
Don
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:43:06 pm by Littlefield »

dhlewis

• http://dhlewisphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:06:14 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So if you use multiple camera's does Lightroom keep track of this automatically by the camera serial number and apply changes or do you need to apply the calibration information by keeping files in separate directories? TIA
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:06:41 am by dhlewis »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:16:52 am »

Yes in LR you have the option of setting per-camera defaults (identified by serial number). That way whenever you import new images from that given camera, your calibration settings are applied automatically.
Eric Chan

francois

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:49:52 am »

So if you use multiple camera's does Lightroom keep track of this automatically by the camera serial number and apply changes or do you need to apply the calibration information by keeping files in separate directories? TIA
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ian Lyons has an article on how to do this ([a href=\"http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr_camera/camera-defaults.htm]here[/url]).
Francois

dhlewis

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 12:17:06 am »

Ian Lyons has an article on how to do this (here).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, I got the Colorchecker and ran the script for both my IIn and 10D. WOW, nice colors! I saved both as outlined in Ian's paper. However I'm struggling to understand if Lightroom only discriminates the Camera Calibration setting on import? or is there a way to apply the calibration setting (by camera) to images that are already in the library. What I see so far is that I can save the camera settings in a preset but it always applies the same setting to either camera?  

Thanks.

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 02:49:54 am »

However I'm struggling to understand if Lightroom only discriminates the Camera Calibration setting on import? or is there a way to apply the calibration setting (by camera) to images that are already in the library. What I see so far is that I can save the camera settings in a preset but it always applies the same setting to either camera?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Once you've defined a new default for a given camera, LR will use that whenever it's looking for a default.  This will be either when you:
  • import new images, or
  • reset an existing image back to "default".
Select a relevant existing image (or multiple images), and reset the develop settings.  You should get the behaviour you're after.

If you've got images you've already tweaked, you can set up a preset containing just IIn calibration data and apply that to the relevant IIn images.  Do the same for 10D images you've already tweaked.
Of course you'll need to go through those images again and check what the new calibration's done to your earlier work.  This is why you don't want it silently changing all images from each camera.  But if you're happy resetting an image back to defaults it will use the new defaults you've set up.

dhlewis

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 07:23:21 am »

Once you've defined a new default for a given camera, LR will use that whenever it's looking for a default.  This will be either when you:
  • import new images, or
  • reset an existing image back to "default".
Select a relevant existing image (or multiple images), and reset the develop settings.  You should get the behaviour you're after.

If you've got images you've already tweaked, you can set up a preset containing just IIn calibration data and apply that to the relevant IIn images.  Do the same for 10D images you've already tweaked.
Of course you'll need to go through those images again and check what the new calibration's done to your earlier work.  This is why you don't want it silently changing all images from each camera.  But if you're happy resetting an image back to defaults it will use the new defaults you've set up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209066\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David, perfect, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Two more questions; both evolve around the decision to store camera calibration data by ISO. Do you have to shoot every ISO setting that you may use for a specific camera for Lightroom to know how to apply the camera calibration and noise reduction settings you want to apply? In other words say I did not store a setting for ISO 160 on my IIn then when importing Lightroom would apply nothing (camera or noise reduction changes) to that image? Is going through all the work of shooting for multiple ISO's on multiple camera's worth the effort?

Has anyone every gone back and repeated the calibration say 6 months later? does the settings data change ? Does the sensors ability to render colors degrade or change over time? Is this calibration something that should be repeated on a periodic schedule?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 08:49:31 am »

No you should not need to reshoot the chart at different ISO values.

And in general you do not need to repeat the calibration over time.
Eric Chan

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 08:08:06 am »

Has anyone compared the Chromaholics calibration results to the i1 using the Color Checker SG and ColorMatch?

I used Chromaholics in the past. Have not had a chance to complete a calibration with the i1. But the adjustment screens for the i1 are so small as to be useless (tweaking saturation, etc.), I'll just have to accept the default ICC I think.

OK, looks like no way to apply the ICC from the i1 Pro in Lightroom? Chromaholics it is.  

Thanks!

Michael
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:03:09 am by mmurph »
Pages: [1]   Go Up