Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TiltShift Hasselblad  (Read 8210 times)

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
TiltShift Hasselblad
« on: July 09, 2008, 05:25:12 pm »

This is a new PC tilt shift adapter for Hasselblad, they say it works with the 28mm.

I have just two questions.

a) how can this permit you to focus at infinite -- since the device will separate the camera from the lens, like a close up device --

what is the image circle of the 28mm? is it going to allow you much tilt shift latitude?

other than that it looks fine and smart...
[font=Comic Sa

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 05:28:44 pm »

a) how can this permit you to focus at infinite -- since the device will separate the camera from the lens, like a close up device --
It probably has optics inside it like a tele-converter to turn the 28 into say a 40 and in that fashion can maintain infinity focus...

what is the image circle of the 28mm? is it going to allow you much tilt shift latitude?
With internal optics in the adapter, the IC will increase by the magnification factor of the adapter, and thus adds adequate IC for the tilts and shifts. Cool the way that works, eh?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:29:50 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Leonardo Barreto

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:38:05 pm »

You spend $5k on the 28mm then, say, another $5k on this toy for the lens to go from a 28mm to 40mm and compromise IQ with extra optics as if it was a point and shoot "wide adapter" ?

Not so cool to me...

It probably has optics inside it like a tele-converter to turn the 28 into say a 40 and in that fashion can maintain infinity focus...
With internal optics in the adapter, the IC will increase by the magnification factor of the adapter, and thus adds adequate IC for the tilts and shifts. Cool the way that works, eh?

Cheers,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

hubell

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:51:02 pm »

You spend $5k on the 28mm then, say, another $5k on this toy for the lens to go from a 28mm to 40mm and compromise IQ with extra optics as if it was a point and shoot "wide adapter" ?

Not so cool to me...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am sure you will hate it even more if it works flawlessly.

TMARK

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 06:23:01 pm »

Not so cool to me...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it is a fantastic option.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 06:48:54 pm »

I totally agree!

Even as a Hy6 user I could achieve something similar with the 55PCS and a 1.4x or a 2x converter.

That would give me a 77 PCS and a 110 PCS

Sure a 55 is not going to give me a 43.5(Hass 28'9 mm lens).

And with the Blad you can use  the 28+35+50+80.

Adjusted : 43.5 +52.5+75+120 compared to Schneider 55 + 77 + 110

Well done Hasselblad as it wins at the widest option at 43.5
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:11:30 pm »

EPd,
correct what you said,however we have to wait for a TS adapter from Schneider and for the 35 Flektogon to be released.

Yes Schneider could make something like the Hasselblad Tilt Shift.

That would be great!

Cheers,

Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 02:00:37 pm »

And let's not forget it may not be a 1.4x mag factor but maybe only needs to be be a 1.2x factor to get it to work!  I do not have any idea of the spec, just chose 1.4x as an example... Any way you slice it, this is good news for Hassy owners.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

jonstewart

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:22:02 pm »

I'm also curious about whether their claim of 80+ lp/mm is attainable with this. Seems a little high. Does anybody know off hand the sort of range the newer Hassy lenses can do in this respect?

TIA

EDIT: I see BJL posting in the other thread about Hassy lenses doing about 60lp/mm. This seems more reasonable, so with the TS adapterr you could be down on that figure, and the difference at centre and edges may be greater.

It'll be good to see example images at full size to examine, and also to see how much their software can 'fix' when it has the data from the TS adapter. Proof of pudding, and all that!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 02:25:48 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

BJL

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:36 pm »

I'm also curious about whether their claim of 80+ lp/mm is attainable with this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That 83lp/mm is the Nyquist frequency for 6 microns (reciprocal of twice the pixel spacing), so is the theoretical maximum possible resolution, ignoring even the resolution loss due to Bayer interpolation. The spacing of green pixels is greater than 6 microns by a factor of 1.4 [sqrt(2)] and that of blue and red pixels is even greater (12 microns).

So for example, resolution of a mostly green subject (trees and leaves!) is limited to 83/1.4, close enough to 60lp/mm, and green information is often dominant, which is why CFA's have more green pixels than red or blue.

What I said in the other thread was not that 60lp/mm is the resolution limit; it was only that there is data indirectly available for 60lp/mm, and the MTF at 60lp/mm looks decent (Center of image has about 50% wide open, 60% at f/7.3 after rescaling). Higher spatial frequencies might still be adequately handled too.

But the fall-off of MTF as lp/mm increases in those graphs is not promising for going much higher.

jonstewart

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:40:24 pm »

Thanks for the explanation
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Leonardo Barreto

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 07:03:14 pm »

"I am sure you will hate it even more if it works flawlessly. "

Yes, I am Mamiyadict and hate Hasselblad and Hasselbladicts are my enemy... seriously, I resent that you used the word HATE regarding my thread that is just asking questions about a new piece of equipment. That way you made it personal since you imply that I HATE something that is not animated, as I said, it is just a gadget, how can I HATE a gadget?

And yes, I think that it may work flawlessly accordingly to its design.

Here is where I have to say this: the fact that I ask questions about new product doesn't mean that I HATE it, or people that find it useful or flawless...--

So, the questions are this.. PC is most needed for architecture and interior, after that for studio table top photography.

Architecture and interior is mostly done with wide angles that go from the 28mm to 35mm and 45mm etc. being this a teleconverter type of lens this application sounds less than flawless.

For tabletop studio photography it makes more sens since it gives you a desired close up advantage and the x factor is no problem at all. But if you want to do table top photography on a Mamiya you only need to use a view camera lens and you get tilt shift, so no big development here.

Other than that I LOVE it...
[font=Comic Sa

Leonardo Barreto

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 07:36:40 pm »

I think that MF is getting to a point of consolidation, the good thing about it is that we will begin to see more options in areas where left out such as Tilt Shift solutions. Hasselblad has a history of providing photographers with tools that can go the extra mile and solved problems using uncommon creativity.

But politics in D MF era are very particular. Would they make a Tilt/Shift product that can be used with other digital backs? no way, they want you to buy their 28mm --that works on leash to their body -- plus the body and, most importantly, the back.

Other approaches to tilt shift, in my humble opinion, should start from the back, not the front of the system. First of all, you should shift the lens --and body-- and leave the "film plane" in the same spot if you want to stitch the best way possible.

Larger format systems will work better for this solutions, for example, all 6x6 have a larger image circle that, if shifted, can give a fantastic wide angle image when stitched. Same thing with 6x7 systems like Pentax, Mamiya RB, RZ.

A back that shifts in the back of a camera could be done without the close up factor or need of extra optics, the only problem would be to compose using the reflex system...

The other problem with Hasselblad and other MF camera makers is that Nikon will soon release a full frame body with more than 20megapixels that will plug directly in to a 24mm tilt shift lens....
[font=Comic Sa

hubell

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 12:02:04 am »

"I am sure you will hate it even more if it works flawlessly. "

Yes, I am Mamiyadict and hate Hasselblad and Hasselbladicts are my enemy... seriously, I resent that you used the word HATE regarding my thread that is just asking questions about a new piece of equipment. That way you made it personal since you imply that I HATE something that is not animated, as I said, it is just a gadget, how can I HATE a gadget?

And yes, I think that it may work flawlessly accordingly to its design.

Here is where I have to say this: the fact that I ask questions about new product doesn't mean that I HATE it, or people that find it useful or flawless...--

So, the questions are this.. PC is most needed for architecture and interior, after that for studio table top photography.

Architecture and interior is mostly done with wide angles that go from the 28mm to 35mm and 45mm etc. being this a teleconverter type of lens this application sounds less than flawless.

For tabletop studio photography it makes more sens since it gives you a desired close up advantage and the x factor is no problem at all. But if you want to do table top photography on a Mamiya you only need to use a view camera lens and you get tilt shift, so no big development here.

Other than that I LOVE it...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207143\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Have you heard the expression: "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"
So, yes, I suppose in that way your description of the new Hasselblad T/S Adapter as "a point and shoot style wide adapter with lousy IQ" could be viewed as a real positive and constructive description of its capabilities and quality.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:54:25 am »

Other approaches to tilt shift, in my humble opinion, should start from the back, not the front of the system. First of all, you should shift the lens --and body-- and leave the "film plane" in the same spot if you want to stitch the best way possible.
Actually to avoid parallax you want to keep the lens stationary and shift the back/film-plane. Reading the rest of your post I think maybe you already know that so I'm not sure if this sentence just got a little mixed up when passing through the keyboard...
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Leonardo Barreto

TiltShift Hasselblad
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 01:17:37 am »

Yes yes, that is what I meant, the digital back moves and the lens stays stationary so that you "scan" the image circle otherwise you are taking two images from slightly different positions of the lens.

The problem is the it is easier to shift/tilt the lens since camera-body is the heavier part and where traditionally you screw the tripod.

Probably one way to do it would be to have the lens move for focusing and tilt in the front and do the the rest of the movements on the camera side. I am thinking to adapt my 645 to my SINAR 4x5 that way.

Actually to avoid parallax you want to keep the lens stationary and shift the back/film-plane. Reading the rest of your post I think maybe you already know that so I'm not sure if this sentence just got a little mixed up when passing through the keyboard...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa
Pages: [1]   Go Up