Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Print Spooler Crash on 36x10???  (Read 3573 times)

ed kelley

Z3100 Print Spooler Crash on 36x10???
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:21:15 pm »

I am mystified.  Earlier today I tried to print to a paper size of 36" x 10" and the print spooler crashed every time.  I was so frustrated that I did not try other papers sizes before I uninstalled EVERYTHING HP (registry, folders, etc, etc.) and reinstalled the driver, the Printer Utility.  So, everything was working great, or so I thought.  

Now, I'm back to trying to print a 36x10 paper size with a spooler crash every time, even though I had just go through successfully printing several other 36" wide by various length paper sizes.  I'm printing from a roll. So, sez me, wonder if it just the 36x10 or am I just screwed.  I tried to print the same print on a 36x11 paper size and it worked beautifully.

My conclusion is that there is something about the 36x10 paper size that the XP Pro print spooler doesn't like.  But what?  Any help, ideas, suggestions would be mightily appreciated.

Ed

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:12:20 pm »

Ed,

Share with us some info about the images that you're trying to print.  File size?  Resolution?  etc.
Regards,
Ron

ed kelley

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 07:28:36 pm »

Ed,

Share with us some info about the images that you're trying to print.  File size?  Resolution?  etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Printing from Photoshop CS3.  Canvas and image size is 34x8 inches.  Adobe RGB/8 bit. Resolution 414 pixels/inch (yeah, I know, that's weird, but I when I resized, I didn't resample, though it didn't seem to make a bit of difference when I printed on the 36x11 custom paper size.  Document size is 133 Mb.

The other image was similar in size, but probably not as high pixel/inch count.  For some reason, this doesn't seem to be a problem with WHAT I'm printing, but the custom paper size I am printing.

I just tried printing to a 36x9 with a subsystem spooler crash as well.  The crash comes after I hit print from the printer dialog, not the CS3 print window.  What is odd, is that even though it says it has "encountered a problem" I still get the HP preview window, BUT--everything has reverted to letter size.  I can't print from CS3 again, until the new print preview window has been closed, otherwise, I get an error telling me that there are no printers installed.

However, I just printed the same image again on 36x11 and it went through with no problems!

I keep editing this because I keep experimenting.  I just tried to print a different image to a 36x10 with no crash--HP preview window popped right up.  The canvas/image size on this one was 34" x 6.25" at 289 pixels/inch.

So, could it be that I'm not making the paper size large enough for the print size?  These are going to be matted and framed, so I'm cheaping out on paper borders.
Ed
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:44:54 pm by ed kelley »

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:02:33 pm »

Ed,

Are you printing through USB or ethernet?  

How much RAM in your PC?

How much free disk space?

I'm not very worried about the 414 pixels/inch.  I have never experienced a problem related to custom paper size unless you have lots and lots of custom paper sizes.

I'm assuming you're running the latest firmware and software for the printer.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:03:19 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

ed kelley

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:50 pm »

>donson,Jul 8 2008, 08:02 PM
Ron...

>Are you printing through USB or ethernet?  
USB

>How much RAM in your PC?
3Gb

>How much free disk space?
125Gb on C:/ where my paging file is located.  I don't prefer C:, it's just that my other drives are pretty full.  I made a few changes...I went to system managed mode for paging file, and I set my performance mode to max performance.  Don't know yet what diff that will make, but unless the change in the paging file settings may help, I doubt most of what I did there will prevent the crash.

>I'm not very worried about the 414 pixels/inch.  I have never experienced a >problem related to custom paper size unless you have lots and lots of custom paper sizes.

I actually deleted quite a few of the paper sizes that I never use, from the Printers/server properties window

>I'm assuming you're running the latest firmware and software for the printer.
I'm 99% certain that I am up to date on everything.

Here is the Spooler Subsystem App Error signature:
szAppName : spoolsv.exe     szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2696     szModName : spoolss.dll
szModVer : 5.1.2600.2180     offset : 00009d6a    

I sure would like to go back to HP Printer Care and Color Center.  I never had any issues with them.
Ed
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:51:40 pm by ed kelley »

ed kelley

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 01:15:06 am »

I think I have solved this issue.  I removed the printer using this method, then reinstalled the driver--this actually removed the new custom paper sizes as well, so I had to recreate them.  So far so good.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312052

thanks for the help.
Ed

ed kelley

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:27:51 am »

I think I have solved this issue.  I removed the printer using this method, then reinstalled the driver--this actually removed the new custom paper sizes as well, so I had to recreate them.  So far so good.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312052

thanks for the help.
Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now I'm not so sure.  I just tried printing a 36x18 that failed, but when I added a 36x19 paper size, it printed just great.  VERY frustrating!
Pages: [1]   Go Up