Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matte Layout Software  (Read 28495 times)

Gemmtech

Matte Layout Software
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 10:54:48 pm »

I must have missed something here.  Why should a simple request for a software lead to this involved discussion on mental arithmetic?

For what it's worth, I have a university science background and also recknon to be pretty proficient in simple calculating.  Despite this, I still prefer to use "Matworks" as I'd rather just concentrate on the aesthetics of getting the imnage to look good.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was being genuine and didn't understand the reason for such software especially if one is proficient in basic mathematics.  I go to a restaurant, I don't worry about the check, it's 2nd nature for me to check the bill, but it doesn't change the taste of the food.  If you truly have the basic math down, then you can worry about the matte all you want, the size comes as naturally as breathing, at least for me it does.  I was just curious if "Professional" photographers were really so precise with their images and or mattes, I'm not, but I'm not a professional photographer, so I was curious about the software.  For me the question isn't about the mental arithmetic, but rather how precise everybody is with their images, frames & mattes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:58:21 pm by Gemmtech »

RogerW

• http://www.rogerwalton.co.uk
Matte Layout Software
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 07:52:12 am »

"For me the question isn't about the mental arithmetic, but rather how precise everybody is with their images, frames & mattes."

Well, from my point of view, I like to let the image determine the matt and frame sizes and not the other way round.  So if things come out in fractions of a cm, so be it!  That's why I find the software so useful.

If I stuck to, for example, 16 x 12 inch prints then I'd buy standard matts and frames.

Tklimek

Matte Layout Software
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 01:54:52 pm »

I basically agree with Roger; with a small caveat.

The image comes first; the size that it is is the size that it is!

Then; I typically want (hopefully) no less than 3 inch of mat around each edge; and I'll try to "end up" at a standard frame size to make it easy for folks to have it framed.  Once again; I don't do this professionally, so this is just my opinion.

Start with the image size.
Ensure you have at least 3 inches on each border.
Move up to the next highest "standard frame size".
And cut mat's and backboard to match.

So an example of this might be:

Printed image size:  14x21 image surface with 16x23 paper size.

So if I add 3 inches to each short edge (3"x2=6") and add that to my image size (14+6=20) I end up at 20.  

If I add 3 inches to each long edge (3"x2=6") and add that to image size (21+6=27) I end up at 27.

So I need a frame size of at least 20x27.

Then looking at standard frame sizes I see that a standard frame size is 22x28.  By then basing the my mats on this frame size, I end up with *roughly* 4" inch mat and a 3.5" mat.

When cutting double mats, you do need to stay focused on the math lest you make a mistake!  Since I overlap my image by 1/4 inch on all sides; if I'm off by a 1/16 or so; not too big of a deal.  Ken pointed me the way to his "matboardcalc" spreadsheet which should do everything ones needs.  And yes, sorry, but I too am not so great with math and appreciate the help a spreadsheet offers.

:-)

Cheers...

Todd

"For me the question isn't about the mental arithmetic, but rather how precise everybody is with their images, frames & mattes."

Well, from my point of view, I like to let the image determine the matt and frame sizes and not the other way round.  So if things come out in fractions of a cm, so be it!  That's why I find the software so useful.

If I stuck to, for example, 16 x 12 inch prints then I'd buy standard matts and frames.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gemmtech

Matte Layout Software
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 02:06:57 pm »

So is the bottom line that most here crop there images without setting size / ppi?  You crop your images and if they are 12-3/32" x 18-1/16" then that's what they are, you don't crop it to 12" x 18"?  Again, just curious!  I do believe most would agree the image size dictates matte size?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:08:23 pm by Gemmtech »

Tklimek

Matte Layout Software
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 03:23:17 pm »

Gemmtech....

That's how I do it.  For me the image size is ALWAYS less than my paper size since I allow at least a 1" border of "paper" around the actually printed image.  Any cropping that is done is done for artistic reasons and not to make an image "fit" a certain size.  I try to do most of my cropping "in camera" and typically only make slight adjustments in post processing.

Once again; since I'm a student of the LL videos (   ); I follow the "if your image is at least 180 DPI when sizing for printing; the native resolution will be fine for printing an image.  I actually print from "Qimage" anyway which I believe does it's own thing in terms of printing vs. out of Lightroom.  Qimage also offers soft-proofing which LR does not yet.  I shoot a Nikon D300, and for printing out my images, they mostly fall into the 189 DPI category or so, so I just make the cutoff (based on the info in the video which I use as a "guideline").  So, once again, the image "is what it is" from my perspective (sizewise), I then add the minimum of what I think would be an attractive mat (usually at least 3 inches) and then figure out what the next largest "standard" frame size would be and end up adding more "mat size" to end up at that standard frame size.  Does this make sense?

Cheers....

Todd

So is the bottom line that most here crop there images without setting size / ppi?  You crop your images and if they are 12-3/32" x 18-1/16" then that's what they are, you don't crop it to 12" x 18"?  Again, just curious!  I do believe most would agree the image size dictates matte size?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:24:12 pm by Tklimek »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up