Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS3 vs 5D CoC shootout in MFDB forum  (Read 55112 times)

joofa

1DS3 vs 5D CoC shootout in MFDB forum
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2008, 04:56:36 pm »

Removed.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:32:19 pm by joofa »
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

Fine_Art

« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2008, 11:15:02 pm »

However, what I'm looking for is more detail; some smidgen or speck that is clearly defined in the 40D shot but not in the 5D shot.

On the Wallaman falls shots

Look at the coordinates 2 and 5/8" across, 3 and 3/4" down. There is a group of light green lines, possibly grasses, that sweep down to the left on the 40D. On the 5D it looks like 1 line with the rest smeared.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:16:16 pm by Fine_Art »

Ray

« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2008, 09:00:50 am »

On the Wallaman falls shots

Look at the coordinates 2 and 5/8" across, 3 and 3/4" down. There is a group of light green lines, possibly grasses, that sweep down to the left on the 40D. On the 5D it looks like 1 line with the rest smeared.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218812\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was at a disadvantage when assessing these comparison shots initially, which I'd created on a laptop in the motel room.

On my monitor back home, there seems no doubt that the 40D crops at both F16 and F22 look better. One might have difficulty identifying a specific iota of detail that's visible on the 40D shot but not visible on the 5D shot, but the over all impression is one of finer grain and greater realism in the 40D crops.

If I were travelling with a 24mp full frame and the 5D as back-up, I can't see myself choosing the 5D for a particular shot on the grounds that at F16 or F22, using the 24mp camera would provide no additional image quality benefit.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2008, 09:41:08 am »

If I were travelling with a 24mp full frame and the 5D as back-up, I can't see myself choosing the 5D for a particular shot on the grounds that at F16 or F22, using the 24mp camera would provide no additional image quality benefit.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray:

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that regardless of the difference of resolution between 12 and 24 MP, the benefit of 24 is lost because of the diffraction created by the sub-optimal aperture? If so, why not use the lens at its optimal aperture on the 24MP camera. Seems to me you would get the best of both worlds, unless you need the DoF of the smaller aperture. Then, I would still use the 24 MP camera, if I had both, because the diffraction loss due to the aperture should be about the same on both cameras, no?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ray

« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2008, 11:22:42 am »

Ray:

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that regardless of the difference of resolution between 12 and 24 MP, the benefit of 24 is lost because of the diffraction created by the sub-optimal aperture? If so, why not use the lens at its optimal aperture on the 24MP camera. Seems to me you would get the best of both worlds, unless you need the DoF of the smaller aperture. Then, I would still use the 24 MP camera, if I had both, because the diffraction loss due to the aperture should be about the same on both cameras, no?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark,
I'm saying that there's some quality beyond detail resolution that I would describe as an impression of finer grain and greater realism, with the 24mp camera at F16 & F22.

When making a 23"x35" print, I would rather start from a 24mp image than a 12mp image, even at F22.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2008, 11:39:45 am »

OK, I agree. I've also noticed with the 1DsMk3 compared to the original 1Ds the noise, when you see it, has a finer, less intrusive grain pattern. I imagine this is the result of the higher resolution and newer vintage of DIGIC processing methods.

ejmartin

« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2008, 06:34:51 pm »

OK, I agree. I've also noticed with the 1DsMk3 compared to the original 1Ds the noise, when you see it, has a finer, less intrusive grain pattern. I imagine this is the result of the higher resolution and newer vintage of DIGIC processing methods.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218934\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Were you showing us jpegs or raw conversions?  DIGIC IV is the jpeg engine, and has little to do with what the raw data will show.  What you may be seeing as finer "grain" is the pushing of Bayerinterpolation artifacts to finer scales.
emil

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2008, 06:57:36 pm »

EJ, I wasn't showing anything - maybe that comment is for someone else.

For whatever reason the grain of the noise is finer with the newer processors - I consider it an improvement of image appearance, don't you?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up