Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ohio forest pic  (Read 3932 times)

dalethorn

Ohio forest pic
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:28:44 am »

Here's a snapshot where I felt lucky as far as lighting is concerned.  I didn't bother to remove the tripod leg at the lower right, so no need for comment there.  There may be a little too much blue tinge here, but the original scene was very green.  Panasonic FZ50, RAW converted to JPEG, ISO 100.

Geoff Wittig

Ohio forest pic
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:56:13 am »

Here's a snapshot where I felt lucky as far as lighting is concerned.  I didn't bother to remove the tripod leg at the lower right, so no need for comment there.  There may be a little too much blue tinge here, but the original scene was very green.  Panasonic FZ50, RAW converted to JPEG, ISO 100.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very nice lighting; it's tough to avoid blown highlights & blocked up shadows in forest scenes with sunlight. I find it hard to say too much about the color, given the vagaries of the web and my laptop screen.

I'd probably prefer it cropped to a more pano-type format, eliminating the somewhat distracting band of sky from the top. But that's just me.

Rob C

Ohio forest pic
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:12:35 pm »

Here's a snapshot where I felt lucky as far as lighting is concerned.  I didn't bother to remove the tripod leg at the lower right, so no need for comment there.  There may be a little too much blue tinge here, but the original scene was very green.  Panasonic FZ50, RAW converted to JPEG, ISO 100.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Dale

I get no bluish tinge at all on my monitor; the green looks very convincing too. The only trouble lies in the sky, but not a hell of a lot anyone could have done about that, even with film. Ouch!

Rob C

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Ohio forest pic
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:33 pm »

Looks very elegant!  I'll just pretend the tripod leg isn't there.

I would personally have gone for a slightly more luminous look, maybe lift the mid tones up a bit and try to differentiate the highlights on the leaves a little more than I perceive in this reduction.  You would probably need to that anyway to pull a not-too-heavy print from this image.

This would be a good candidate for exposure blending, shoot a 3 to 5 stop bracket and use Tufuse, Enfuse, or the new Photomatix "Exposure Blending" function to penetrate the shadows.  But then I almost always want to gild the Lilly*.

*To adorn unnecessarily something that is already beautiful or perfect

dalethorn

Ohio forest pic
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:03:21 pm »

Good comments all.  So far none of the prints I've attempted have done anywhere near justice to the image.  Of course my printing is fairly primitive.  But more improvements to the image will make printing even tougher.

Here's another photo from the same shoot.  The reason the web is so visible is the early morning dew.  Getting good detail from a small spider's web, when dry, would be an interesting challenge.  I don't know that I could pull that off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up