Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking at the Epson 4880  (Read 2732 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
looking at the Epson 4880
« on: July 06, 2008, 03:22:53 pm »

Hi

I've had a 4880 on loan from Epson UK for a while and have just posted a review of my experiences using it... 4880 review

Although I've kept this piece to covering just the printer and some standard Epson papers, I've actually been looking at quite a few papers with it (more things to write up over the next couple of weeks :-) )

After building some profiles for a friend's 2400 as well as the 4880, with one of these papers, the difference in gamut was visible, although it hardly jumped out at you.

Whilst I've read of the differences, it's only when I've produced two profiles for the printers, using identical targets, measuring hardware and software, that I feel comfortable in looking at part of a test print and going 'Yes, I -can- see a difference' ;-)

If anyone has any comments, or additional observations, then please do let me know, since whilst I've used it quite a lot, many of you may have considerably more 'real world use' experience.
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
looking at the Epson 4880
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:13:11 pm »

Thank You for your review, and correctly pointing out the significant size/weight of the machine. That much mass, and the moving head, indeed requires a stable platform.
  I've printed hundreds of images on my 4880 since Feb., and have had no problems from this fine machine - dedicated to MK.  Unless the 7900 offers a significant improvement for its yet unrevealed price ( & ink set /design, and obviously size), I'd have no problems getting another 4880 and dedicate it to PK... it's that fine of printer for the kind of images that I do.  I would recommend the extended warranty - just to sleep better at night.  If only Epson made backlit film in 17" rolls.......

titusbear
contemplativeeye.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up