Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos on Ext. HD  (Read 2005 times)

jkorst

Photos on Ext. HD
« on: July 05, 2008, 10:04:06 pm »

Hi,
I've got all the my photos on an external drive. It is connected to the desktop mac, and it is on that mac that I've been keywording and rating.

I am going to be traveling. I want to be able to work on the laptop. (continue keywording and rating) without transfering the pictures. (not enough room). I just want the thumbnails.

When I get back, I want to update the database on the desktop with the added info.

Of course, while I'm gone, I will be taking pictures. I also want to rate and keyword these new pictures on the laptop (having the actual photos in this case) and when I return, transfer the new photos etc to the main photo drive and database.

Does that all make sense?

What files do I have to move from the desktop to the laptop? What do I move when I get back?

(Research here makes me believe when I get back, I will want to export the catalogue of the new photos and import that on the desktop. Correct? Will that get them to the photo drive?)

Thanks very much,

Jeffrey Korst

michael

Photos on Ext. HD
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:57:52 am »

Simply use the Export and Import Catalog commands and tell it whether you want to include previews, and or originals as well.

Michael

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
Photos on Ext. HD
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:49:05 am »

Import/Export between catalogs is definitely the way to go. And for new work on the road, I recommend starting a new catalog for each trip, then importing to your "master" database when you return.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

Jon Meddings

Photos on Ext. HD
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:10:01 pm »

Import/Export between catalogs is definitely the way to go. And for new work on the road, I recommend starting a new catalog for each trip, then importing to your "master" database when you return.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nat, I've tried this method with dubious success and perhaps you can help!  I agree that there is no problem with the 'new catalog on the road' and then import to the master database at home approach. What does bother me about it though is that my directory structure does not come across properly. It has been sometime since I last did this so I'm not sure I remember it all correctly.

I keep my raw images in a RawImage directory (imagine that..) and store them by date as \Year\Month\Day\images.cr2. I use Downloader Pro to create the directories from the card and rename the file to something useful.

When I download to the laptop and import into LR things are fine. However, when I then export and import that database I don't get the raw images where I want them. On a trip of many days it would be a pain to move them from within LR as well. Any thoughts on doing an import AND getting the raws where I want 'em??

Currently what I do is to keep the raws and the catalog on an external drive while travelling. Upon returning home I dump the raw images to my main system and then reimport into LR. While this works it obviously throws away any work I've done on the images in the field.

Thanks Nat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up