Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newspaper photography? Anyone experienced?  (Read 3851 times)

Dansk

Newspaper photography? Anyone experienced?
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:34:13 pm »

I offered to help out a friend cover a sporting event recently at cost and now a major news paper wishes to purchase some of the work to run in a couple of weeks possibly main page and they offered to pay "A nominal fee" ( whatever that means ) for the images so I was wondering if anyone here had experience in this area as to what the typical rates are or what I should charge? The editor is currently going over the work so I expect to have discussions about this "nominal fee" shortly but I'd really like some input/advice first.

I only shoot commercial work and I understand news is a completely different ball game but this came out of no where so if anyone has experience it would be great to hear from you so I can handle myself accordingly. Thanks

Petrjay

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:25:09 am »

More than likely, you'll be offered whatever the paper ordinarily pays free-lancers for assignments. If the editor has already described the fee as "nominal," don't expect much. If the piece wins a Pulitzer, then you might possibly be able to negotiate a better deal next time, but don't count on it. Most papers (in the U.S. anyway) are dumping high-priced talent these days rather than looking for it.

Dansk

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:30:49 am »

More than likely, you'll be offered whatever the paper ordinarily pays free-lancers for assignments.

So whats ordinary pay? I have zero idea what these guys make/charge I've never done any kind of news work. Thanks

As an aside I do know the secret to a pulitzer prize photo... f8 and be there  

Petrjay

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:04:24 am »

Without knowing which paper and/or city or region you're talking about, it's impossible to estimate. According to my wife, who is a career journalist/editor, freelance fees can run anywhere from $30-$50 (U.S.) per assignment for a small-town paper to thousands for a New York Times travel piece. For the past five years or so, she was the art director/sunday editor for a 100,000-circulation paper in southern New York, where fees usually ran in the neighborhood of $100 per assignment, though they could vary somewhat. Beyond that, I'd be guessing - I haven't accepted freelance assignments (except as an occasional favor to my wife, which I do free of charge) since the early 90's, and once photo editors hear my list of excuses, which can include broken vehicles, broken cameras, broken legs, impending prison terms, mental illness, and/or an inability to communicate in modern languages, they pretty much leave me alone.

Peter J

Dansk

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:10:17 am »

Toronto Star

Petrjay

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 02:30:15 pm »

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what The Star pays, but as far as getting one's foot in the door goes, Canada's largest newspaper is a great place to start. If it were my decision and I wanted to break into the field, I'd take whatever they offered just to get the clips and a chance to pick up more assignments. (not to mention the bragging rights) Of course if you happen to get a shot of an intoxicated cabinet member running naked through the streets of Ottawa at four o'clock in the morning, you can probably write your own ticket.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 02:38:57 pm »

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what The Star pays, but as far as getting one's foot in the door goes, Canada's largest newspaper is a great place to start. If it were my decision and I wanted to break into the field, I'd take whatever they offered just to get the clips and a chance to pick up more assignments. (not to mention the bragging rights) Of course if you happen to get a shot of an intoxicated cabinet member running naked through the streets of Ottawa at four o'clock in the morning, you can probably write your own ticket.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is that what counts as a scandal in Canada? Here in Europe you need to something a bit more... eh, [a href=\"http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/3003_nazi_orgy.shtml]risque[/url].

Dansk

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 02:47:32 pm »

Not really interested in News photography as I said i have no idea about it and what it pays but my very brief understanding of it was that it doesn't pay much but I'd like to get what I can I know what I would charge on a commercial gig for this work.

As for that link?    creepy but funny
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 02:48:10 pm by Dansk »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:24:38 pm »

If they really want to run it, you can negotiate the fee. The editor is saying "nominal" just as an opening position. Yes, newspaper fees are abysmal. Yes, assignment rates suck -- and have for a long time. Yes, newspapers are dumping talent all over the place. But you don't care about "bragging rights" or "getting your foot in the door" -- which puts you in charge in these negotiations.

What's the worst that can happen? (Answer -- they don't run the photos.) As long as you don't care about that, i.e., you don't want bragging rights (hah!), you can walk away.

So expect them to offer $10 per image, or some other ridiculous amount. Just be prepared with a solid counteroffer that would make you *very* happy, and negotiate down from there.

They do have a budget for stuff they really want to use.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up