Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad 50 MP announced  (Read 67473 times)

Bernd B.

Hasselblad 50 MP announced
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2008, 04:54:32 pm »

On the question "What is a sliding adapter?":

The back of a H3D has a Hasselblad H-mount.

If you want to use your old large-format camera, for example a Sinar, you need something (a "bridge") to mechanically adapt your back from Hasselblad-H-mount to Sinar plate.

But this offers no possibility for manually composing and focussing on a focossing screen. Here comes the sliding adapter which has two positions: in one position a usual focussing screen is mounted and can be used. In the second position your back is mounted. After preparing the image with the focussing screen you slide the adapter to the other position and now can continue working with your digital back.

Bernd
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:57:02 pm by Bernd B. »

BJNY

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2008, 08:27:30 pm »

On the question "What is a sliding adapter?":
The back of a H3D has a Hasselblad H-mount.

If you want to use your old large-format camera, for example a Sinar, you need something (a "bridge") to mechanically adapt your back from Hasselblad-H-mount to Sinar plate.

But this offers no possibility for manually composing and focussing on a focossing screen. Here comes the sliding adapter which has two positions: in one position a usual focussing screen is mounted and can be used. In the second position your back is mounted. After preparing the image with the focussing screen you slide the adapter to the other position and now can continue working with your digital back.

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you, Bernd.
I own a Sinar sliding back, and use one made by Kapture Group on occasion.
They already exist to fit an H-mount digital back on a view camera,
so why is Hasselblad getting into that market?  Does theirs function differently?

Edit: Quoted post #67, and made last sentence in bold type.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:32:59 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Bernd B.

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2008, 06:36:04 am »

Thank you, Bernd.
so why is Hasselblad getting into that market?  Does theirs function differently?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are asking me questions ...

Everything I know are a the few informations on that homepage.

Bernd

BJNY

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2008, 06:40:27 am »

You are asking me questions ...

Everything I know are a the few informations on that homepage.

Bernd
I did not ask you what a sliding adapter is, Bernd.

Thank you, Bernd.
so why is Hasselblad getting into that market?  Does theirs function differently?

At this stage, I await Hasselblad's official Press Release for clarification.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:35:59 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2008, 07:42:37 am »

Here, Billy.

http://www.hasselblad.se/promotions/50-promotion.aspx

Best regards,
Thierry

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206147\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2008, 07:43:20 am »

I did not ask you what a sliding adapter is, Bernd.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hw about right here...

[a href=\"http://www.hasselblad.se/promotions/50-promotion.aspx]http://www.hasselblad.se/promotions/50-promotion.aspx[/url]

Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2008, 08:22:26 am »

"the H3DII-50 camera system has been specially designed to meet the most exacting demands of high-end commercial photographers who require the ultimate in both image quality and performance."

Bad news for all you that thought you were getting that from 39mpx, apparently you need 50mpx.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2008, 08:30:44 am »

I already put up my CF39 for sale, haven't you seen it? I wonder how much you will notice the difference between 39 & 50.

I am trying to go for the multishot version of the 39 BTW. I am sure the difference between 39single & 39multi is larger than between 39 & 50.

I guess if you enter the MFDB world it might make sense to go for 50, maybe.

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2008, 08:47:55 am »

Well, that answers a question that was looming over everyone's head - it is a new Kodak 48mm x 36mm sensor. NOT a 645 full frame CCD. It appears that glory will still go to PhaseOne at Photokina?

Dinarius

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2008, 08:48:44 am »

I already put up my CF39 for sale, haven't you seen it? I wonder how much you will notice the difference between 39 & 50.

I am trying to go for the multishot version of the 39 BTW. I am sure the difference between 39single & 39multi is larger than between 39 & 50.

I guess if you enter the MFDB world it might make sense to go for 50, maybe.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustbak,

Interesting points.

There is talk, apparently, that MS may be difficult on this camera. Not sure why though.

Personally, my 39MP MS blows everything I've ever owned clean out of the water. My clients don't need 50MP, so neither to I.

Talk also that delivery is not until early 2009, so if you haven't taken the plunge it might be far more fruitful cutting a bargain on a 39Mp Single or MS in the meantime.

Denis

BJNY

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2008, 10:04:15 am »

50MP at 60 frames per minute is impressive.  I wonder what other improvements Kodak made (are pixel wells less deep for less color cast?)
Guillermo

TMARK

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2008, 10:06:37 am »

You know some 24 year old newbie "fashion" shooters will get this 50 megapixel gorilla for their Model Mayhem casting couch sessions. They will spend all their time trying to make the 200+ megabyte files look reasonably good as 1000 pixel wide, 2meg jpegs.

In all seriousness, I understand and admire the integration of the H system. I don't think locking people out of lenses via firmware is cool, a la the H2 and the 28mm, but whatever.  The t/s adapter is a great idea. I just like the fact they brought it to the market.  But 50 megapoixels, well, its rather unnecessary, no? I know I know, they all will be introducing stupid high megapixel backs. But why?  I just want a bigger chip, is all.  

Perhaps the MFDB makers should concentrate on fixing the deficiencies of their existing products rather than bombarding us with megapixels we don't need?

If I'm being totaly honest, I could get away with shooting a 5D, 6x7 and 4x5 film, and renting backs only when I need big and fast tethering.  The last thing I need is 50 megapixels.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:38 am »

It amazes me that Hasselblad continues to call it a full frame sensor when it is not.

Additionally, keep in mind that larger files may not be needed for fashion or portrait work, but for landscape guys this can be seen as a plus. Something for everybody when you see all of the different sensors out there. The good thing (hopefully) is that prior generation chips should be more affordable.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2008, 10:20:04 am »

50MP at 60 frames per minute is impressive.  I wonder what other improvements Kodak made (are pixel wells less deep for less color cast?)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206175\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just like when Kodak introduced a new film, it doesn't really matter until you shoot with it see what it looks like.

In all honesty that's kind of what we are talking about, a new film . . . right?  Except nowdays new films cost $30,000.  

I was a little surprised  that this new film  is essentially 400 iso with 800 only in their Phocus software.  

I wonder if this means a dng will not go to 800 iso?

I do think Hasselblad has upped their market presence a great deal and has improved the overall look of their camera and backs.  

To me the deal breaker on the H system is the file format being proprietary.  Whether you can convert it to DNG or not, it's still another step, another link the workflow chain and if you produce a lot of imagery, another format to store and archive.

I do think there is some obvious points missed, such as a full frame 645, higher iso, (or would this be a great candidate for that pixel binning Phase tried where the iso doubled?), a better preview jpeg that is generated in camera and of course costs.

Regardless, when these backs are announced, unless there is a definate change like a detailed lcd, or wireless previews, or something that hasn't been out there before, you can only look at them as more detailed film.

Maybe the market is for landscape photographers that make big prints, or maybe the market is for detailed scientific study, I don't know, but I think when hasselblad runs their surveys trying to decide where to go with product, they should include my clients.

JR
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:30:14 am by James R Russell »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2008, 10:38:44 am »

Hi
I normally stay away from Hasselblad threads since I don't use one. With this new 50 MP sensor made by Kodax is the cat out of the bag in regards for a new Phase back? What is Dalsa up to? Why not a true FF sensor by Phase ( 1:1 ) or is it possible????
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2008, 10:55:07 am »

It amazes me that Hasselblad continues to call it a full frame sensor when it is not.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True, they mention the 28 mm lens as being really 28 mm... and - worst IMHO - they compute the magnification factor for the H3D31 based on the ratio between that sensor and a 36x48mm sensor...

That's totally misleading and clearly un-ethical.

But what I find most disapointing in the spec of the new H3DII50 is that exposures still appear to be limited to 32 sec...

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:56:32 am by BernardLanguillier »

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2008, 11:00:52 am »

A random thought.

What if someone came up with a plate that embeds four 16 or 22MP, 9 or 12 micron sensors? Each sensor is activated either sequentially or together, and CS3 puts them all together and makes a great 100" inch wide print. The R&D for these sensors is already done, so they shouldn't be very expensive. Architectural,  landscape and product photographers pull their Sinars and Linhofs out of the closet, and leave the H3IID50 with 1fps and 1/800 flash sync to fashion photographers...

Heck, I'd be happy if they could do that with the 6 or 11MP sensors!

Cheers,
Kumar

lance_schad

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2008, 11:00:54 am »

James,
That is very interesting that you bring up Pixel Binning like on the original P25. Where it gave you 800 iso (vs 400 iso native) at a reduced file size. This could be a differentiating feature (for Phase since they historically have used the same sensors as Hassy)that would allow you to shoot at variety of resolutions instead of the native 50MP and of course increase your sensitivity at the same time.
From what I recall the files from the original P25 looked good using this technique, but at the time I think people were more caught up in the the size thing, so it was often overlooked.
So this could become a method for a variable resolution type feature people have been asking for from MF digital backs.
Looking forward to seeing what PhaseOne has up their sleeves!

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
lance@captureintegration.com
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2008, 11:14:21 am »

Hi
I normally stay away from Hasselblad threads since I don't use one. With this new 50 MP sensor made by Kodax is the cat out of the bag in regards for a new Phase back? What is Dalsa up to? Why not a true FF sensor by Phase ( 1:1 ) or is it possible????
Denis
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I see these annoucements I can take them in stride, because in the last 2 to 3 years of digital client's don't really ask what the file size is anymore.  I believe they assume we use what is right for each job and they have come to accept digital, without a lot of reservation.

So in other words, I'm not pressured to go out and buy a lot of new equipment.

I do wonder how the digital techs and rental houses handle this.

Does the NON digital savvy photographer walk in and say, "uh I need the biggest one, you know that Hasselblad 50 megabyte or 50 mega something camera.  Yea the big one"

Does the tech or rental house have to start stocking up on 50mpx backs?

Once again, this doesn't really effect me today because nobody knows what's going on behind the curtain of what I use, so if I deliver a file that's 300 ppi to a specific size I'm fine.

Now to take this one more step, if a camera maker wants to force me into buying something make a back or camera that does something unqiue that goes on in front of the curtain, specifically faster better previews and wifi previews to devices like an Ipod touch.

The client that comes off of that location or set where the photographer could beem detailed images to a handheld device will be looking for it next time and it's something I would seriously think about.

Or if a maker wants to move me to buying something today, make the processing and effecting of images easier.

I try to do a few personal projects every year and when I see one like this.

(from a-photoeditor blog) [a href=\"http://tinyurl.com/5ywalf]http://tinyurl.com/5ywalf[/url]  I think about it but the thing that gives me pause is the post production work with digital.

I think about how long a month of shooting will take me to process, select, effect, purpose, print and show.

There is as much back end time as there is shoot time.

So if someone wants to move me, give me a film presets that look like film, wb corrections that are more than global, generic click and adjust, and give the ability to make my own film looks, lock them into the camera and go shoot.

There is a lot to digital that can be way better than film (knowing you have the shot), but the back end is a lot of work and takes a lot of study and time.

So rather than 50mpx how about 50 film looks?

Or take this over to the camera side.  Why doesn't the H series or the Mamiya have the same amount and variety of lenses as the previous cameras, the V and the original Mamiya 645.

How about real tilt shifts, fast lenses, and a multitude of Leaf shutters?  Where is a 300mm 2.8 lens?

How about removable finders, right angle finders, high eye point finders, you know the stuff you use to buy for a professional system?

Sometimes I think the makers of this equipment are answering questions that nobody is asking, or not answering some of the things we need/want addressed.

JR
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:47:24 am by James R Russell »

TMARK

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2008, 11:57:10 am »

Or if a maker wants to move me to buying something today, make the processing and effecting of images easier.

I try to do a few personal projects every year and when I see one like this.

(from a-photoeditor blog) http://tinyurl.com/5ywalf  I think about it but the thing that gives me pause is the post production work with digital.

I think about how long a month of shooting will take me to process, select, effect, purpose, print and show.

There is as much back end time as there is shoot time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you could edit, do ADR, foley, and run some FX on a documentary that took a month to shoot in less time than post work on a months worth of MFDB files.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up