Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The RzII ProD "freeze" hang up problem  (Read 4776 times)

Snook

The RzII ProD "freeze" hang up problem
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:13:04 pm »

Many times shooting with my RZII Pro D P30 combo, Many times it will just not shoot....
Very frustrating during a session but has it  happens a lot to me.
I am using the adapter (Phase/Mamiya) for the RZ.
Frequently the camera just won't fire. C-1 shows connect the back says connected to fire wire etc.. but the camera just won't fire.
It is not the typical beeping and not shooting that happens if you shoot to fast or the battery is dead.
This is different.
The only way it comes back is if I wait like a minute or usually if I flip it to "R" twist the back from Vertical to Horizontal then that sometimes helps it...
Has anybody ever experienced this?
Thanks for any information.... This has happened since I have had the camera.
Snook

sid_v

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:19:20 pm »

Many times shooting with my RZII Pro D P30 combo, Many times it will just not shoot....
Very frustrating during a session but has it  happens a lot to me.
Frequently the camera just won't fire. C-1 shows connect the back says connected to fire wire etc.. but the camera just won't fire.
It is not the typical beeping and not shooting that happens if you shoot to fast or the battery is dead.
This is different.
The only way it comes back is if I wait like a minute or usually if I flip it to "R" twist the back from Vertical to Horizontal then that sometimes helps it...
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like the proIID adapter with inbuilt electronics is the problem. When i tested my back on RZ at dealers place, it was surprisingly flawless with the lens to back sync cord(which i thought could be a major issue) and since has yet skipped a beat with my RB. I'm sure the proD adapter also has shutter lag since its the same mamiya645 electronics?

TMARK

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:25:57 pm »

Snook,

I've only had problems with RZ's not firing with film backs. With digital I've never had any issues, but I've only used Leaf backs with dead plates, firing the back with a cable from the lens.  No prblems with this set up.

I'd check all of the things that keep an RZ from firing:  dark slide detector on the cam to the back adapter; back detector, battery in the RZ (lithium batteries last longer but die a sudden death.  Low voltage can cause intermittent problems.  

It could be a problem with the electronic Mamiya serial communications protocol.  It should be the same as the AFd, but who knows.  I'd bet it was mechanical since you seem to fix the problem by flipping the R/M lever and otherwise fooling with the mechanical controls.

Let us know what you find.

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:37:11 pm »

Sounds like the proIID adapter with inbuilt electronics is the problem. When i tested my back on RZ at dealers place, it was surprisingly flawless with the lens to back sync cord(which i thought could be a major issue) and since has yet skipped a beat with my RB. I'm sure the proD adapter also has shutter lag since its the same mamiya645 electronics?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This has been my experience as well with rented Leaf backs.  I used a dead plate H mount to RZ with a sync cable.  Worked without a hitch on my Pro2 and plain vanilla RZs.

I'm thinking of getting the AFD mount to RZPro2D adapter for my Pro2, and firing the RZ and back with a KG one shot cable.  I'd like to avoid as much electronic interfacing as possible.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:33:43 am »

Very frustrating during a session but has it  happens a lot to me.
This is different.
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

Do you leave the R/M lever in M position when shooting?  I always leave it in in M when shooting on my RZ Pro II.  I would also check the electronic connections between the plate and camera.  If one of the dimpled contacts doesn't connect, you might get a mis-fire. I clean them with the regular pencil eraser.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:26:05 am »

Snook,

Do you leave the R/M lever in M position when shooting?  I always leave it in in M when shooting on my RZ Pro II.  I would also check the electronic connections between the plate and camera.  If one of the dimpled contacts doesn't connect, you might get a mis-fire. I clean them with the regular pencil eraser.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is definitely one of the best forums around...
Thank you guys for all the good suggestions...
I am not sure what it is but it is a pain..
The first pain was always the little battery always going dead..

Yes I put the camera in "M" mode it is the only way the camera will fire.

Someone mentioned the Dark slide but seeing how I am shooting with a DB would there be any reason for that?
I have the AFDII adaptor plate.
Beside the unfortunate not wanting to fire, everything else is pretty smooth...
Thanks for all the help..
I will try chris idea and Clean the connector points....
Thanks guys
Snook

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:44:23 pm »

Eric

You have what seems to be an interesting set of pictures, but it is almost unworkable on my monitor. The small pictures are really far too small for MY comfort and when I move over to click one, the confusion of moving images ruins the experience.

I know that you didn´t ask for criticism, so please don´t take offence when I offer some: it might just be me or it might not, but it would be interesting, and possibly informative for you too, if we got some opinion from others on this matter.

Rob C

PS  I have no site at all, so to paraphrase (politely) the immortal words of Ferris Beuller, your piece of website is better than my piece of website because I have no piece of website.

Snook

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 01:09:34 pm »

Eric

You have what seems to be an interesting set of pictures, but it is almost unworkable on my monitor. The small pictures are really far too small for MY comfort and when I move over to click one, the confusion of moving images ruins the experience.

I know that you didn´t ask for criticism, so please don´t take offence when I offer some: it might just be me or it might not, but it would be interesting, and possibly informative for you too, if we got some opinion from others on this matter.

Rob C

PS  I have no site at all, so to paraphrase (politely) the immortal words of Ferris Beuller, your piece of website is better than my piece of website because I have no piece of website.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205024\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No offense ever taken... Thanks
Yeh it is just a Photoshop flash website and I literally never have time to work on my website. Never even have to show my book or images for work.. rarely.. So I never have Spoofed it up at all.
I have been thinking about and I do appreciate your opinion.
Thanks
Snook

TMARK

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:25:48 pm »

This is definitely one of the best forums around...
Thank you guys for all the good suggestions...
I am not sure what it is but it is a pain..
The first pain was always the little battery always going dead..

Yes I put the camera in "M" mode it is the only way the camera will fire.

Someone mentioned the Dark slide but seeing how I am shooting with a DB would there be any reason for that?
I have the AFDII adaptor plate.
Beside the unfortunate not wanting to fire, everything else is pretty smooth...
Thanks for all the help..
I will try chris idea and Clean the connector points....
Thanks guys
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Re Dark Slide:  Not the dark slide itself but the mechanical indicator can keep the camera from firing.  Just a guess.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 04:15:43 pm »

Re Dark Slide:  Not the dark slide itself but the mechanical indicator can keep the camera from firing.  Just a guess.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Be careful of The Dark Side!  

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 05:23:03 pm »

Be careful of The Dark Side!   

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205079\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry but I am not sure what you mean.. The Dark Slide indicator.. where is that and can I fix it...
Sorry, but it would great if you could explain further.
Thanks
I would love to check all the bases if  I can..
Thanks again
Snook

TMARK

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 07:09:44 pm »

Sorry but I am not sure what you mean.. The Dark Slide indicator.. where is that and can I fix it...
Thanks
I would love to check all the bases if  I can..
Thanks again
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I might be thinking of an RB part.  I'll check it out and post back.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 12:16:01 am »

Snook
My refurbished P30 started acting up a few weeks ago on a AFD II. Erratic behavior, No film back errors etc. Finally the camera stopped recognizing it. It's back at Phase One (NY) for repair.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

TMARK

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 08:30:42 am »

Thanks
I would love to check all the bases if  I can..
Thanks again
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was wrong, its only on the film back and if there were a problem the red light in the VF would light up.

Sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up