Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Users Wanted  (Read 18665 times)

one|megapixel

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:17:08 pm »

Love Hasselblad? Know your camera and care to share? We are currently seeking photographers who work with Hasselblad systems to participate in sharing their wealth of knowledge and experience with others.

We are researching ways to better improve our site that "phocus" specifically on Hasselbllad systems.

Let us know how can do better.

Thanks for taking the time.
one|megapixel

Hasselbladusers.com

Boris_Epix

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:33:36 pm »

No actually I started to hate Hassle-blad and sold everything.

The pictures from the H3D suck (specially skin and texture), marketing sucks, excluding other digiback makers sucks.

I have seen all issues of the VICTOR magazine and honestly 99% of the images are ugly and skin is either green or pink like a piggie, cars have strange tints. You should stop printing that... you're scaring photographers with those colors.

If you really want to do something for photographers then add two more focus points on the very left and very right of the frame, get rid of the badass mirror-slap, work on the ugly color, the terrible skin texture, stop selling no progress with your overhyped-marketing and most importantly ...

... stop spamming useful forums.

Thank you.

Graham Mitchell

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:17:18 pm »

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:20:05 pm »

Boris --- tell us how you really feel...
Anyway this post is very inappropriate and use your logic and reasoning to point out problems, I think your concerns would get more mileage.  This comes off as just being angry.

The pictures from the H3D suck (specially skin and texture), marketing sucks, excluding other digiback makers sucks.

I have seen all issues of the VICTOR magazine and honestly 99% of the images are ugly and skin is either green or pink like a piggie, cars have strange tints. You should stop printing that... you're scaring photographers with those colors.

If you really want to do something for photographers then add two more focus points on the very left and very right of the frame, get rid of the badass mirror-slap, work on the ugly color, the terrible skin texture, stop selling no progress with your overhyped-marketing and most importantly ...

Thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:22:46 pm »

Pass me some will you?

j.miller

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:47:44 pm »

Boris,
     Just to be clear, www.HasselbladUsers.com has no affiliation with Hasselblad in any official capacity. This user-group is organized by various end-user and working professional who had the clear idea of finding an appropriate forum for discussing the instricacies of Hasseblad products and technology.

Your dissatisfaction for Hasselblad as a company, and its products, is adequately voiced in your choice to not purchase Hasselblad products, or participate in there marketing. Logically, considering do not appear to be a user of Hasselblad products, you might find more appropriate, and meaningful information in the various other forums that exist.

This comes directly from www.HasselbladUsers.com "About Us" page:

"...HASSELBLADusers.com is a open forum for all photographers to discuss all things Hasselblad. We started this to be a central resource for news and information related to Hasselblad products.

We're not endorsed, nor affiliated, with Hasselblad. We're not employees or stock holders, just fans. We saw a need for a central place to share knowledge and filled it.

The forum is (and probably always will be) growing. We're actively seeking participation from industry experts and will let you know here as things develop..."

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:04:45 am by JEM_DTG »

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:03:41 pm »

Thank you.
www.HasselbladUsers.com is a useful form and I visit there frequently. Obviously this individual hates Hasselblad - and wanted to voice his anger.

I find it ironic that Michael does similar, yet in much more subtle ways, in his reviews of competing products - such as the recent review of the Phase 645 - which was a good review; I wonder if it does disservice to Phase and the Hy6 to mention Hasselblad in their product reviews, although I do understand mentioning Hasselblad for context. But perhaps the reviews should be entirely devoted to the products and not include the disdain for Hasselblad. Just a thought.

Nonetheless, obviously Hasselblad has done something to piss a lot of people off, I see it's more than one person who really dislikes them.

I don't subscribe to the "locked" system notion, but perhaps there are other reasons (valid or not); maybe others here can help me understand these other reasons.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 05:30:59 pm »

I do not feel Michael does anything close to similar. He has made it really clear he is not happy with Hasselblad's marketing and strategy moving forward. He has provided very reasonable and logical reasons for his concerns and dislikes.   I also appreciate that he declares any possible conflicts-of-interest when writing his reviews. I give him more credit than most others who fail to disclose these important issues. The world is full of perceived and real conflicts of interest and there is always going to be areas of grey (18% that is ) but does that mean folks who will be in such a scenario should not voice their opinion-- Of course not. People should just be able to disclose their potential conflict.  Most people in a field of study are going to have some level of conflict.  THeir opinion is important enough based on their experience that it commonly puts them in that position.  Disclosure is the key.

www.HasselbladUsers.com is a useful form and I visit there frequently. Obviously this individual hates Hasselblad - and wanted to voice his anger.

I find it ironic that Michael does similar, yet in much more subtle ways, in his reviews of competing products - such as the recent review of the Phase 645 - which was a good review; I wonder if it does disservice to Phase and the Hy6 to mention Hasselblad in their product reviews, although I do understand mentioning Hasselblad for context. But perhaps the reviews should be entirely devoted to the products and not include the disdain for Hasselblad. Just a thought.

Nonetheless, obviously Hasselblad has done something to piss a lot of people off, I see it's more than one person who really dislikes them.

I don't subscribe to the "locked" system notion, but perhaps there are other reasons (valid or not); maybe others here can help me understand these other reasons.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:59:42 pm by MarkKay »

jecxz

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 05:53:24 pm »

I do not feel Michael does anything close to similar. He has made it really clear he is not happy with Hasselblad's marketing and strategy moving forward. He has provided very reasonable and logical reasons for his concerns and dislikes.   I also appreciate that he declares any possible conflicts-of-interest when writing his reviews. I give him more credit than most others who fail to disclose these important issues. The world is full of perceived and real conflicts of interest and there is always going to be areas of grey (18% that is ) but does that mean folks who will be in such a scenario should not voice their opinion-- Of course not. People should just be able to disclose their potential conflict.  Most people in a field of study are going to have some level of conflict.  THeir opinion is important enough based on their experience that it puts them in that position.  Disclosure is the key.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204593\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'll re-read the review, but my impression was that it was more than simply declaring a conflict-of-interest. Perhaps that is your perception of it.

I don't really want to defend Hasselblad either, I just use their equipment. I hope I'm not misunderstood, I do not want to defend Hasselblad.

michael

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 06:17:51 pm »

As Mark has written above, my problem is not with Hasselblad the product. I have two H bodies and five lenses, and they are among the best photographic instruments I have ever owned.

My problem is with the company's management. Through closing the H line and preventing system owners who have other brand backs from benefiting from future developments such as new lenses, I feel that they have done a great disservice.

Michael
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:18:19 pm by michael »

jecxz

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 06:44:54 pm »

As Mark has written above, my problem is not with Hasselblad the product. I have two H bodies and five lenses, and they are among the best photographic instruments I have ever owned.

My problem is with the company's management. Through closing the H line and preventing system owners who have other brand backs from benefiting from future developments such as new lenses, I feel that they have done a great disservice.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204605\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You should try getting a response from their management when your name is not Michael R. and you've just dropped $65K and your brand new cameras don't work!

I did re-read the review, you most certainly make it perfectly clear, a couple of times, that you are unhappy that your current H equipment is locked from newer lenses (and whatever else they sell). I do understand. But repeating it in reviews of competing products?

I do not buy that you're claiming any "conflict-of-interest." It's no conflict to be angry that your investment is shot to sh?t. It seems like your reviews take crack shots at Hasselblad, and perhaps it is warranted. Also, I would not be reading your reviews if I didn't trust you, I did not see any bias in your review (or others for that matter).

I should not have connected your review, in any way, with this angry poster. For that I apologize and stand corrected.

Again, please do not misunderstand me, I do not defend Hasselblad at all.

michael

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 07:03:51 pm »

No offense taken.

I write about what interests me, nothing more, nothing less. I recognize that I have an audience of almost a million people each month, and therefore need to offer a balanced view of things, but I also try and make a case for what I think to be important and right.

I see no problem in criticizing Hasselblad's management in a review of a Phase product, just as later this week I'll be criticizing the lack of a certain feature in a Canon product that Nikon does very well. It's all fair game.

Michael

Kitty

• http://
Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »

No offense taken.

I write about what interests me, nothing more, nothing less. I recognize that I have an audience of almost a million people each month, and therefore need to offer a balanced view of things, but I also try and make a case for what I think to be important and right.

I see no problem in criticizing Hasselblad's management in a review of a Phase product, just as later this week I'll be criticizing the lack of a certain feature in a Canon product that Nikon does very well. It's all fair game.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am a H system user 3 bodies and 5 lens with 2 phaseone back.
I thought Michael is right to criticize hasselblad policy.
At least because he is a H user too.

From my experience, closed system never survive eg. Kodak, Scitex etc.
Especially if closed system could not service customer well. eg. overprice sparepart, overcharged service etc.

Hasselblad is doing the right thing to reduce H3D. I can't find reason why people buy H1 or H2 with Phaseone or Leaf price at cheaper price than H3D in the past.

Time will tell. I really hope Hasselblad survive because I invest a lot of money on H already.

rhsu

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:59:08 pm »

Hasselblad has "dropped" its price - thus shows their lock-down policy/system is hurting and has back-fired!  To crawl back their once mighty market share of users in the MF digital is NOT going to be easy and I too hope they survive.  I know they have lost a lot of Hasselblad users to Phase (being open system).  I've been with Hasselblad since 1970s with the 6x6 and recently H3D.  I'm still angry that they haven't provided alternative power system for those using LF camera sys (ie Cambo, Bicam, Alpha...) with the H3D.  I've only recently discovered a $100 solution to Hasselblad $2,000 solution to power my back on a LF system!

So I'm with you Michael...

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 03:00:54 pm »

The Hasselblad forums are mainly for V lovers. I post in the Hasselblad forums every now and then. Despite there are a few but very concerned, helpful and enourmously versed photogs with the V system, these forums are getting more emptied by the minute.
I think the main reason is Hasselblad's lack of interest in the V. Come on,  the CFv backs are certainly not enough.

From the beginning of  digital, Hasselblad had the oportunity to lead the digital medium format market because they had V cameras&glass all over the world waiting for the right digital back. They neglected this volume market. The formula was simple. Sell thousands of digital backs at restrained profits. Keep thousands of happy photogs as loyal customers. Keep selling them thousands of expensive glass. Eventually when the V got totally obsolete, introduced them to new expensive toys.

But no, they chose the philosophy of "It's safer to be feared than loved".

Meanwhile, rich and high roller photogs went into the H system, Phase, Leaf, Sinar, etc., etc. Photographers with less than mega dollar income had to choose dslr's.

Now, they close their H3d system and piss off some more people. Phewww!!!

I'd like to tell Hasselblad, it is not too late to really support the V system. IMHO it's still a very efficient system for all those photographers that love to set things by themselves. The V system was and still is the the best marriage between the viewcamera and the "auto-portable" camera that ever existed. Amen of still being the most handsome camera including the Hy6/Afi.
Thanks for reading.
Eduardo
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 03:10:14 pm by uaiomex »

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 04:06:17 pm »

Meesh

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 04:11:22 pm »

I never understood the term "closed" system. its not really hasselblad that closed the system, maybe they won't release data on the back pinouts, but its the other back manufacturers in my mind that closed out the system. reacting to the competition of a complete camera maybe? interesting how they now have come up with there own cameras. think about it, car makers dont share engine and fuel injection data to aftermarket chip tuners, chip tuners reverse engineer the ecu's. apple didn't release an iphone sdk at first, people reverse engineered one. it would take phase and leaf about a day to get a back working on a h3d body, and that is if they haven't done that already. and legally they aren't doing anything wrong by doing so. i can legally strap a xerox copier to the back of my h3d2 if i want. i know this may be off topic, but the closed system thing always reeks to me of marketing bs....

michael

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 06:49:52 pm »

If a camera allows other makers backs to be attached (physically, technically and legally) but the company subsequently makes it impossible for them to do so, then it becomes a closed system.

If owners of the system are forced to abandon their $20K - $30K back investments to take advantage of new lens technology, because their backs are made incompatible, then it's a closed system.

What part of the word "closed" don't you understand?

Michael
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:52:52 pm by michael »

Graham Mitchell

Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 07:04:59 pm »

Now, they close their H3d system and piss off some more people. Phewww!!!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually they did more than that. They refused to fix quite a few 50-110mm zoom lenses which were falling apart, and they engaged in some pretty cynical marketing too. I've heard more stories that I can't share right now.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Hasselblad Users Wanted
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 08:23:13 pm »

Actually they did more than that. They refused to fix quite a few 50-110mm zoom lenses which were falling apart, and they engaged in some pretty cynical marketing too. I've heard more stories that I can't share right now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't understand these brand wars.  

For what it's worth, I think the closed off H3 can be a good thing, in fact I can see lemonaid from lemons if the companies take this as a challange and really step up.

I hear a lot of complaints about Hasselblad where people say if Hasselblad wants to sell more digital backs they should make a better digital back, not close off the camera.

I'm good with that, but the flip side is if Phase, Leaf and Sinar want to sell cameras they have to make a better camera than the H series and they have to get it into the hands of people who buy, rent and who tech.   They should also have a more comprehensive lens line,  have better service AND a better price.

An open system, well ok I guess that's good, though if all of these backs would swap mounts easily and wihtout issue that would go a long way to being even more open.

JR

P.S. I still don't understand the Panic about the H series.  I've never been in a market where you couldn't buy an H-1 or 2  in minutes, so I will bet there are a lot more H series setting on the shelves than their are digital backs.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up