Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The PhaseOne/Mamiya AFDIII review  (Read 80339 times)

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
The PhaseOne/Mamiya AFDIII review
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2008, 11:43:51 am »

That was a joke, but on the web, it's hard to have humor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alright, got it. I simply can't let it stand, kind of my duty to correct what could be misunderstood. Hope you understand me as well.

As far as the iso of a 22mpx dalsa compared to the 31mpx Kodak chips there is a full stop differnce at least in the thousands of  images I have shot at those iso's with those backs.
JR
Yes, sure enough, but then, and as said, you are in a field which is different than some others, or let's put it this way, some others are in a different field than yours, and don't need this extra stop. Not all have the same priorities. At least that is what I can hear when speaking with users.

P.S. Theirry, I have a question you can probably answer.   How has the open, semi open, closed thing worked out for medium format?  Is Hasselblad selling like crazy, have Sinar sales improved dramatically, is Leaf busting out HY6's all over the world.  Really, I'm curious if this has pushed sales up, or kept people away.  Are all the makers selling more backs for their proprietary cameras or are they still selling for the V's , Contax's and older H's?  Does anyone publish sales numbers?
I certainly can answer following: I believe that the volume of sales for each manufacturer has changed from 2006 to 2007, respectively the market share of each one has changed. Understand that some have increased their market share and consequently some have decreased it. I am pretty sure of that.
As such, the open/semi-open/closed situation has certainly changed something in the market. And it has certainly not affected the total sales volume for MF, at least until now (understand 2007, since the 2008 figures are not given or estimated).

Best regards,
Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2008, 12:10:11 pm »

Alright, got it. I simply can't let it stand, kind of my duty to correct what could be misunderstood. Hope you understand me as well.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Theirry,

Yes as I've said before, I am positive that anytime the word Sinar pops up on the internet, the ESA [a href=\"http://www.esa.int/esaTE/index.html]http://www.esa.int/esaTE/index.html[/url] tasks three satellites to your Dick Tracy watch, or Sinar branded phone so you can "Set the record straight and be clearly understood".

(This is also meant as internet humor).

JR
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:14:24 pm by James R Russell »

thsinar

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2008, 12:42:29 pm »

I've got it, this one, James.

Which brand are you using for your own? I found my Sinar branded one to be rather a bit over-sensitive most of the time, but I can't adjust it.

Thierry

Theirry,

Yes as I've said before, I am positive that anytime the word Sinar pops up on the internet, the ESA http://www.esa.int/esaTE/index.html tasks three satellites to your Dick Tracy watch, or Sinar branded phone so you can "Set the record straight and be clearly understood".

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Snook

« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2008, 12:43:10 pm »

Theirry,

Yes as I've said before, I am positive that anytime the word Sinar pops up on the internet, the ESA http://www.esa.int/esaTE/index.html tasks three satellites to your Dick Tracy watch, or Sinar branded phone so you can "Set the record straight and be clearly understood".

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Does anybody in here even have Sinar.. Just wondering b/c you never hear anything about them unless it is a Sells pitch from in here.
I have never seen or heard of anybody using Sinar...
The market must be really small and will get even smaller I imagine in the future.
I personally hear Sinar and I relate it with Broncolor and $$$$ expensive...:+}

Not trying to be funny but I really only hear arguments between... Hassie/Phase/Leaf
in here..
Never even seen a post about Sinar..
Snook
PS. The post is for Phase/Mamiya AFDIII review...

ynp

• http://
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2008, 12:48:24 pm »

HY6 (Rollei Version)+Sinar-M+eMotion54LV+SInarback 54H
Yevgeny

Does anybody in here even have Sinar.. Just wondering b/c you never hear anything about them unless it is a Sells pitch from in here.
I have never seen or heard of anybody using Sinar....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thsinar

« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2008, 01:01:43 pm »

Open your eyes, Snook, and you shall find some, by looking well.

BTW: I would be interested to know where you read some "Sells pitch"? Could you link me to it?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

The market must be really small and will get even smaller I imagine in the future.
I personally hear Sinar and I relate it with Broncolor and $$$$ expensive...:+}

Not trying to be funny but I really only hear arguments between... Hassie/Phase/Leaf
in here..
Never even seen a post about Sinar..
Snook
PS. The post is for Phase/Mamiya AFDIII review...
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Snook

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2008, 01:11:16 pm »

Open your eyes, Snook, and you shall find some, by looking well.

BTW: I would be interested to know where you read some "Sells pitch"? Could you link me to it?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry in no way was I trying to offend anybody..
Just an observation, of mine...
I am sure your product is awesome.. just never really see it  mentioned that much in the forums.. Usually people asking Leaf or Phase, and the Hassleblad guys are a breed of their own.
Hassleblad has come down a lot in pricing, b/c when I was first looking into MFDB's which was not that long ago.. I always ruled out Hassleblad b/c it was always out of the ball park in pricing, for me, and I was not sure how rugged they were/are and where I live it is a pain to send stuff back and there is 0 option to rent... That is why I eventually went with phase as they were supposed to be pretty rugged.
Whether you can park a car on them or not I really could care o less!!!
Phase and Leafs were pretty easy to find relatively cheap used or reconditioned..
Now hassle blad seems to have come down a lot or there are more used older tech on the market today...

Sorry again getting off the topic...

Again just my experience in here..
Snook
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:13:22 pm by Snook »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2008, 01:57:44 pm »

There are Sinars around but including me

it was the changable back that swung it for me and the inbuilt memory

generally an intelligent and quality product

But in the UK Phase and Blad appear to be the thing

it seems to me that there are a couple of UK dealers who are Phase and are rental too that really push thier products some are even located in the or really near some of the big rental (of space) studios

You are talking a replacement in 2 minutes if there is a problem when you are shooting

These dealers really turn thier product over renting them for a couple of months then flogging them to the users who are getting pissed with the rental fees and who already know the product

Sinar have failed to create that vibe in the UK at least by their esoteric choice of dealers and failure to penetrate the rental network

I tell you that I have two mates who have gone to Phase which pretty much works out of the box

There was laughter when I demontrated the Brum workflow to my Phase mate

Really Phase won by getting thier P25 distributed fast

Sinar need to chuck 50 HY6/75LVs into the london rental houses for free for six months to turn it around

S
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:00:34 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2008, 02:05:25 pm »

I've got it, this one, James.

Which brand are you using for your own? I found my Sinar branded one to be rather a bit over-sensitive most of the time, but I can't adjust it.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry,

You caught me.

I gotta admit I've been working day and night to get Contax to improve their line of cameras.

We're building in faster autofocus, variable crops in cameras, wireless to the i-phone (and my mom's HP laptop), F 1.0 leaf shutter lenses and a focal plane shutter in the body.  

Right now we've got the the Contex (named after my original Texas origins) coming out soon.

It will be open platform (for Contex branded backs only), have a universal mount, (as long as it is a Contex branded back) and the good news is be available to everyone (with a Contex branded back) as soon as I get somebody from Contax to answer a phone.  

BTW:  Since your an industry insider, would you have their phone number?

Thanks in advance.

JR

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2008, 03:06:47 pm »

It will be open platform (for Contex branded backs only), have a universal mount, (as long as it is a Contex branded back) and the good news is be available to everyone (with a Contex branded back) as soon as I get somebody from Contax to answer a phone. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PRICELESS James!!!      
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

thsinar

« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2008, 09:22:21 pm »

Nope, not any longer, had erased it since I handed it over to you, during our last secret conspiration meeting in Davos, CH. Don't remember?

Thierry

Thierry,

BTW:  Since your an industry insider, would you have their phone number?

Thanks in advance.
JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Snook

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2008, 08:12:33 pm »

Nope, not any longer, had erased it since I handed it over to you, during our last secret conspiration meeting in Davos, CH. Don't remember?

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No more opinions on this new camera?
I a thinking of upgrading as my P30 just croaked. Been offered the P30+ and the new Phamiya.
Thanks
Snook

PS. Does anybody know if my "L" bracket for the AFDII will work on the New AFDIII?
Hope so
Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:23:32 pm by Snook »

elitegroup

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2008, 08:32:48 pm »

No more opinions on this new camera?
I a thinking of upgrading as my P30 just croaked. Been offered the P30+ and the new Phamiya.
Thanks
Snook

PS. Does anybody know if my "L" bracket for the AFDII will work on the New AFDIII?
Hope so
Thanks again!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207955\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've heard the P30+ price will drop to match the H3DII-31 at $18000 soon.

Also there may be some major announcements (maybe a next generation P30+) it might be worth waiting until Photokina before dropping money on what might become a second generation product.

New Dalsa Chip, Variable resolution, faster capture rates (1-2fps) improved ISO, better noise ???

Just a thought  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:33:43 pm by elitegroup »

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2008, 09:09:44 pm »

Snook

Hope so
Thanks again!!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  I’ve got a AFD II and a L bracket and in looking over the spec’s of the new III it appears that the dimensions the same – so only guessing here but I’d say the chances are better that 90% that the bracket will fit.

don

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2008, 09:53:14 pm »

Snook
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  I’ve got a AFD II and a L bracket and in looking over the spec’s of the new III it appears that the dimensions the same – so only guessing here but I’d say the chances are better that 90% that the bracket will fit.

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook and Don,

Kirk's L-bracket fits AFDIII. I just got the AFDIII this weekend, upgrading from a used AFD. I have the Kirk bracket and have a www.Camdapter.com leather hand strap laying waiting for it, plan to use together with my Optech strap.

My very limited use of the AFDIII is that it has pleasant AF speed, less mirror bounce and much improved grip. It is still slower AF than my F100 was, but feels as clear improved useability over AFD.

Indeed Mamiya appear to have some quality issues glueing the rubber on the AFDIII body, the fourth AFDIII that I looked at was more acceptable than the other three, yet... I will not be surpriced if rubber will start come off eventually... poor Mamiya   ... I think will add some super glue to my camera bag to improve if corners start come off!

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:53:54 pm by Anders_HK »

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2008, 08:54:26 am »

BTW I have the new Phase body had it since last Friday , Jack also got his. Had limited time with it been a little sick but I really like the feel of it so far. It seems faster in all respects , AF is much quicker and more DSLR like and it handles and feels faster to me. So far very nice improvements for the shooter. I leave this week for NY and have to shoot runway and I am determined to shoot MF for this show. The Phase body will get a nice workout , me also. LOL
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2008, 09:23:20 am »

Sure does!  I just swapped my Kirk over from my AFD2 and it fits identically

PS: A FWIW for posterity of this thread. I normally am a fan of RRS brackets, but for the AFD series body the Kirk bracket fits closer and appears more "integrated" to the body...

Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:28:26 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

condit79

• http://calebcondit.com
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2008, 09:27:58 am »

it seems to me that there are a couple of UK dealers who are Phase and are rental too that really push thier products some are even located in the or really near some of the big rental (of space) studios

You are talking a replacement in 2 minutes if there is a problem when you are shooting
These dealers really turn thier product over renting them for a couple of months then flogging them to the users who are getting pissed with the rental fees and who already know the product
Sinar have failed to create that vibe in the UK at least by their esoteric choice of dealers and failure to penetrate the rental network

I tell you that I have two mates who have gone to Phase which pretty much works out of the box

Sinar need to chuck 50 HY6/75LVs into the london rental houses for free for six months to turn it around
S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205527\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, in my experience shopping for backs in Spain, that the phase people have always made me a priority, getting whatever I need in my hands (the new camera for example) right away.  I wanted to try the hy6, got a couple of calls, and then the rep kinda dropped off the face of the planet.  I mean, I´ve given up going into a camera store and being able to see this stuff in person, but if that´s the reality at least take the time to make sure I can make an informed decision without having to make ten phone calls, send out 5 emails and rub my tummy and tap my head at the same time...

That for me is a big part of why phase succeeds.  They know how to get cameras in the right rental houses, in the hands of the future buyers.  Oh and the software.  I mean, I´m spending thousands.  Make my life easier.

JDG

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2008, 10:59:06 am »

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205527\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The New York and LA market is very similar in my experience.  I sent quite some time managing the EQ department for a busy digital capture company and for MFDB we did 70% Phase jobs and nearly 30% Leaf.  In my 2 years there we never did a Hasselblad/imacon job, and only had 2 clients wanting to shoot Sinar.  This was with doing 1-5 different MFDB jobs a day.   I believe they have done 1 or two Hassy jobs since I left, but still not much in terms of percentage.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2008, 11:09:49 am »

So you've never seen my posts and my signature?

Sinar e54LV user here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up