Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The PhaseOne/Mamiya AFDIII review  (Read 80337 times)

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
The PhaseOne/Mamiya AFDIII review
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 06:59:08 pm »

Is that $5k with the VA warranty? I just want the body, so perhaps the body is in teh $2k range? I'll ask Lance when I get the chance.

T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204571\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes give Lance or Chris a call on that pricing just to be sure . I thought I saw 5k for the body and lens but not sure on the warranty period
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 07:49:39 pm »

I paid about $3450 (US) for my AFD III.
Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204622\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay!---and now I'm happy.  

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 07:57:21 pm »

We were told form the beginning that the "new" leaf shutter lens WOULD work on the AFDII..
Now it sounds as if they are going back on that..
The review clearly states that even on the new AFDIII they will have to be sent back to mamiya for firmware upgrade...?
What about the AFDII?
Thanks for any correction on this, if there is any...:+}
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204518\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I have been following this & I never heard anything about leaf shutters on the AFDII body. That was one reason for the AFDIII or new Phase body.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

amsp

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 08:05:58 pm »

Hi
I have been following this & I never heard anything about leaf shutters on the AFDII body. That was one reason for the AFDIII or new Phase body.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yepp, as far as I can recall they've been clear on that fact right from the beginning, the leaf shutter lenses will NOT work on the AFDII.

TechTalk

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 08:16:56 pm »

Okay!---and now I'm happy.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The U.S. MAP price for the Mamiya 645 AFD III body is $4,409. Don't expect much, if any, discount from this price as the dealer margin is small. The price that billcb in Canada quoted is several hundred dollars below U.S. dealer cost.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

michael

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 09:14:53 pm »

Mamiya gear has always been seriously overpriced in the US compared with the rest of the world. Bill is in Canada.

Michael

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 09:26:15 pm »

Lance called me a little while ago and I asked him the prices . The new Phase One body and new 80mm D lens with 1 year warranty is 4999.00 with a three year warranty it will be 7999. Oop's this is US pricing
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:26:55 pm by Guy Mancuso »

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 09:41:35 pm »

Mamiya gear has always been seriously overpriced in the US compared with the rest of the world. Bill is in Canada.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And I should perhaps add that at the time of purchase I also committed to buy the 45-90mm lens, so may I have got some "package" pricing. Both camera and lens were priced for cash only.
Bill

Snook

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 09:49:09 pm »

Hi
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Oh mcfoto it sure was talked about as I asked about it several times... because I have missed the leaf shutter since the film days as I have the 55/80/150 leafshutters for the 645 and had all the Pentax 6X7 leaf shutter also..
Since the days of digital I have wanted high syncing (w/Flash)  but there there have not been many option except Hassleblad but never wanted to invest all in Hassleblad...
The first 1D had sycning at 500/th but then they went back to 250/th on the canons..:+{
I never used a 1D as it's quality was not up to par for my clients in that day when they were all scared of digital..:+}

In any case yes it was mentioned and I am not going to go dig through that huge post  to find it...
I am sure again b/c I posted and got response more than once..:+}
Snook

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:51:15 pm by Snook »

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 09:56:58 pm »

Thanks Michael, I enjoyed reading your review, although I was left wondering a bit about some critical improvements. How was the AF? compared to the AFDII, and the competition. Was the selectable AF-points useful or useless? Has the shutter lag been dealt with? Maybe you could elaborate a little in this thread or update your review.

Cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I may respond as an 18 month user of the AFD II and a one day user of the AFD III, I find the AF marginally faster but no quieter  - though that really isn't important to me.

The selectable points are quite close together but definitely worthwhile, tho' it's probably quicker to use AF lock and re-point the camera if you're working off-tripod.

Using the Phase back with Short Latency, I was never aware of serious shutter lag and I'm still not. I do have an impression, however, that it might be a bit more "prompt" now.

The real convenience, worth the price of admission to me, is that MLU no longer requires one to move to manual focus - a real time and frustration saver. I agree with Michael's concern about the mirror re-upping if you press the shutter release for too long, but I find that much less likely to happen with the electronic cable release.

I'll add to this in days ahead as I wring the body out!

Bill

TMARK

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 11:00:43 pm »

If I may respond as an 18 month user of the AFD II and a one day user of the AFD III, I find the AF marginally faster but no quieter  - though that really isn't important to me.

The selectable points are quite close together but definitely worthwhile, tho' it's probably quicker to use AF lock and re-point the camera if you're working off-tripod.

Using the Phase back with Short Latency, I was never aware of serious shutter lag and I'm still not. I do have an impression, however, that it might be a bit more "prompt" now.

The real convenience, worth the price of admission to me, is that MLU no longer requires one to move to manual focus - a real time and frustration saver. I agree with Michael's concern about the mirror re-upping if you press the shutter release for too long, but I find that much less likely to happen with the electronic cable release.

I'll add to this in days ahead as I wring the body out!

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

re the shutter lag:  What do you shoot?  I never notice it until I'm shooting fashion or portraits, and then I think about the Hy6 or even the H which fire MUCH faster that the AFD series.  The AFd and AFdII have the same lag.  The AFd3 seems better.

Thanks!

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 12:09:35 am »

The new Phase One body and new 80mm D lens with 1 year warranty is 4999.00 with a three year warranty it will be 7999.

So you're saying this basically amounts to $3K for two years of additional warranty.
Is there some other value added component that was not mentioned in the above price?

Mark

samuel_js

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 06:40:01 am »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well hear this, the camera and 80mm lens (not even film back) with one year warranty is $6650 in Sweden. Half the price if you buy it with a DB.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 09:01:04 am »

The new Phase One body and new 80mm D lens with 1 year warranty is 4999.00 with a three year warranty it will be 7999.

So you're saying this basically amounts to $3K for two years of additional warranty.
Is there some other value added component that was not mentioned in the above price?

Mark
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark,

There is an additional component to the 3 year Value Added Warranty.  It is for 300,000 activations or 3 years and lists for $7990.00.  The 1 year Classic Warranty is for 1 year or 100,000 activations and lists for $4990.00 like Guy has mentioned.  If you have any more questions, please feel free to give Lance or I a call / e-mail.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta/ Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 09:25:16 am »

Thanks Chris for completing the activation part to the pricing. I am really looking forward to my body coming soon I hope. The AF, Mirror , sound and speed of it , I am looking forward too.

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 09:39:09 am »

$3,000 for the additional warranty time just seems outrageous.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 10:09:28 am »

I'm trying to find out if it is possible for the new line of leaf shutter lenses to work on Mamiya AFDs and AFDIIs.  Please be patient, because I know that it is summer and quite a few people are on vacation currently.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 11:04:29 am »

$3,000 for the additional warranty time just seems outrageous.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204756\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems like a pretty good little camera, but $7,990 is a lot of money for even a good Mamiya 645.

If I was the dealer I'd hide that $3,000 warranty information way down the page, or better still if I was Phase I'd just throw in a 2 or 3 year warranty, after all you would expect any professional camera to be good for 3 years.

Even better, I'd just offer a second body for $3,000.

In fact if I was presented with these numbers my first question would be, will the camera not make it 3 years?

Even if you take it to the far extremes you can go on KEH and buy two H-1 kits with lenses for $3,700 each, that would pretty much solve the 3 year warranty issue and give you "the assistant dropped the camera" backup for less than the Mamiya and the warranty.

The only downside to this is I don't know if the H-1 firmware works with all the different lenses or backs and I don't really know how you can tell.  I guess people more involved like a dealer will know this.

I think Phase and all of medium format needs to decide where they are going on pricing and better yet how they are perceived in the professional market.

Though the H-series camera is not my cup-o-tea, it is considered the standard in medium format, if only because it's been out for a long time and  you can pretty much rent one in every world market, major or minor.

So to take this one step further, if your a digital tech, what do you buy to rent to your client's?... a camera that is considered standard, or the Mamiya that is new and still waiting on lenses.

If I was introducing any new camera, my very first priority would be to get these cameras and complete lenses in the rental departments of every major store possible, even if it meant discounting them.  

Get them in people's hands so they have a real connection.

My second priority would to be to find away to get these cameras "sold" as quickly as possible, even if it means lowering the price, or defering the cost in some kind of finance plan.  A $3,000 warranty would seem to have the opposite effect.

My third priority would be to  line the dealers shelfs with these cameras and lenses to give the impression that my new camera is the "new" standard.

I own most if not all of my equipment, but a lot of photographers don't or if they do they own just  one medium format camera and some kind of dslr backup, so on the day of their biggest project they have to make sure that thier purchase is compatible and available in rental.

This forum seems to be very technically oreinted towards gear and it seems to attract people that want the latest and newest, (or at least enjoy talking about the latest and newest) but in the real world of making photos for money there are a whole lot of good photographers that produce some amazing work with some less than cutting edge equipment.  

To move these photographers to purchase, there has to be a motiivation of either better price, better availability, better use, or to make it a real lock, the product should cover all three of these points the day it's introduced.

In the 5 or 6 years I've shot digital  and I've noticed we've gone through a change.

Early on it was a compromised medium, where we either put up with certain workarounds.   Now we're into a period where digital is pretty much the standard so whatever is offered really has to be reliable, available  and be a no excuse system.

I hope all of these cameras have success as it is a sign of a healthy industry.

JR
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:05:43 am by James R Russell »

Guy Mancuso

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 11:17:10 am »

It seems like a pretty good little camera, but $7,990 is a lot of money for even a good Mamiya 645.

If I was the dealer I'd hide that $3,000 warranty information way down the page, or better still if I was Phase I'd just throw in a 2 or 3 year warranty, after all you would expect any professional camera to be good for 3 years.

Even better, I'd just offer a second body for $3,000.

In fact if I was presented with these numbers my first question would be, will the camera not make it 3 years?

Even if you take it to the far extremes you can go on KEH and buy two H-1 kits with lenses for $3,700 each, that would pretty much solve the 3 year warranty issue and give you "the assistant dropped the camera" backup for less than the Mamiya and the warranty.

The only downside to this is I don't know if the H-1 firmware works with all the different lenses or backs and I don't really know how you can tell.  I guess people more involved like a dealer will know this.

I think Phase and all of medium format needs to decide where they are going on pricing and better yet how they are perceived in the professional market.

Though the H-series camera is not my cup-o-tea, it is considered the standard in medium format, if only because it's been out for a long time and  you can pretty much rent one in every world market, major or minor.

So to take this one step further, if your a digital tech, what do you buy to rent to your client's?... a camera that is considered standard, or the Mamiya that is new and still waiting on lenses.

If I was introducing any new camera, my very first priority would be to get these cameras and complete lenses in the rental departments of every major store possible, even if it meant discounting them. 

Get them in people's hands so they have a real connection.

My second priority would to be to find away to get these cameras "sold" as quickly as possible, even if it means lowering the price, or defering the cost in some kind of finance plan.  A $3,000 warranty would seem to have the opposite effect.

My third priority would be to  line the dealers shelfs with these cameras and lenses to give the impression that my new camera is the "new" standard.

I own most if not all of my equipment, but a lot of photographers don't or if they do they own just  one medium format camera and some kind of dslr backup, so on the day of their biggest project they have to make sure that thier purchase is compatible and available in rental.

This forum seems to be very technically oreinted towards gear and it seems to attract people that want the latest and newest, (or at least enjoy talking about the latest and newest) but in the real world of making photos for money there are a whole lot of good photographers that produce some amazing work with some less than cutting edge equipment. 

To move these photographers to purchase, there has to be a motiivation of either better price, better availability, better use, or to make it a real lock, the product should cover all three of these points the day it's introduced.

In the 5 or 6 years I've shot digital  and I've noticed we've gone through a change.

Early on it was a compromised medium, where we either put up with certain workarounds.   Now we're into a period where digital is pretty much the standard so whatever is offered really has to be reliable, available  and be a no excuse system.

I hope all of these cameras have success as it is a sign of a healthy industry.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know the price does sound high on that 3 year but not speaking for Phase here and my bet is this really has to do with there value added warranty with there kits when you buy a back which offers other benefits like switching a mount on the back for free. Kind of saying buy a back with it but if you just want the body than here is what we have to offer because it ties in with there packaging. Phase one gets this body first from Mamiya from what i understand but when Mamiya releases it under there name my bet that 3 year warranty will not be part of it and just be like any other camera in the market place. To me this is just how they have to market it because of the whole kit idea.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2008, 12:32:04 pm »

Guy,

Sinar has a standard 3-year warranty, without any additional cost, with any camera, included the Sinar Hy6, with any digital back, and with any lens or other accessory, worldwide.

Best regards,
Thierry

Phase one gets this body first from Mamiya from what i understand but when Mamiya releases it under there name my bet that 3 year warranty will not be part of it and just be like any other camera in the market place.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up