Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Becoming a MF Digital photographer  (Read 5552 times)

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
Becoming a MF Digital photographer
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:58:33 am »

Good morning from Berlin.

I have been an avidly-enthusiastic non-pro photographer for 20 years, and have been shooting digitally exclusively since the release of Canon's D60 about six years ago.

I have decided to move to MF Photography for a number of reasons, none of which are reasonable but all of which sound good when I say them in my head late at night.

I am a long way off from making any purchases, and will be spending the summer taking courses from a number of photographers I know who work exclusively in digital Medium Format.

I have read exhaustively. Especially the articles on LL have (once again) proven to be a good way of learning about gear that I'm evaluating.

In light of the fact that the digital back has the highest initial cost, it is imperative that it provide me with the flexibility to move to a different body throughout its life. One thing that is not clear is which mount is the most flexible. I understand that there are different mounts and different systems, but there are a number of cameras that don't use proprietary mounts. I want to be able to work with MF cameras, as well as View cameras. I gather that Hasselblad is a closed system. But what back would I want to use if I want to shoot with a Sinar, and a Linhof at another time. Or what kind of mounts can I fit on the back of an Arca Swiss view camera?

I assume my question itself shows how much I have yet to learn. I am not only asking this question, but hope that it will lead me to further questions that help me go through this process.

Thanks for your comments and feedback,

Yaron

jonstewart

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:13:56 am »

Hi Yaron,

I'm sure others will give much more detailed answers, but I'll say that which mount to choose is not a really critical issue, apart from the closed issue of the new Hassy systems (lovely as they are). Adaptors are available for most cameras for most backs, and even if you were to choose a back, and need to change the mount on it, then that's possible too.

I have one (I suppose) of the least popular mounts (Mamiya AFd), butin looking at a range of view cameras and shift cameras, I didn't see one for which you couldn't get an adapter plate. (The Mamiya system has the advantage of being good quality, and cheap!)

All the best in your deliberations; I'm sure you'll get your choice right, even if the justification for same can seem a little 'weak' late at night  

Jon
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

yaya

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:26:50 am »

Good morning from Berlin.

I have been an avidly-enthusiastic non-pro photographer for 20 years, and have been shooting digitally exclusively since the release of Canon's D60 about six years ago.

I have decided to move to MF Photography for a number of reasons, none of which are reasonable but all of which sound good when I say them in my head late at night.

I am a long way off from making any purchases, and will be spending the summer taking courses from a number of photographers I know who work exclusively in digital Medium Format.

I have read exhaustively. Especially the articles on LL have (once again) proven to be a good way of learning about gear that I'm evaluating.

In light of the fact that the digital back has the highest initial cost, it is imperative that it provide me with the flexibility to move to a different body throughout its life. One thing that is not clear is which mount is the most flexible. I understand that there are different mounts and different systems, but there are a number of cameras that don't use proprietary mounts. I want to be able to work with MF cameras, as well as View cameras. I gather that Hasselblad is a closed system. But what back would I want to use if I want to shoot with a Sinar, and a Linhof at another time. Or what kind of mounts can I fit on the back of an Arca Swiss view camera?

I assume my question itself shows how much I have yet to learn. I am not only asking this question, but hope that it will lead me to further questions that help me go through this process.

Thanks for your comments and feedback,

Yaron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204423\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcome on board Yaron,

In brief, most view camera maufacturers (Cambo, Arca-Swiss, Linhof etc.) provide interchangeable adapter plates for their cameras. There are other, 3rd party manufacturers who can provide these adapters for both 5X4 and 6X9 cameras.

If your MF camera of choice it, let's say, a Mamiya AFD/II/III and you have chosen a digital back made for it, you can buy the relevant adapter plate for it to fit your view camera.

Some back manufacturers can also provide own-made adapters for 5X4 cameras, most ly in universal Graflok fit.

If you change to a different mount back, you will have to buy another adapter plate. These plates vary in price depending on the manufacturer and configuration, but in general they are the more affordable link in the chain.

Some back manufacturers allow for the mount of the back to be changed by the user, requiring purchasing a new interface plate. Other will ask for the back to be sent in for this, at a comparable price.

That is all in brief, PM or email me if you want to dig in deeper and to look at some relevant links.

Good luck

Yair

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:58:03 am »

Thanks all, I appreciate the speedy response.

I look forward to this process. I'm also pleased to have rediscovered the LL Forums, it's obviously the place for this kind of photography.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:02:32 am »

Hi,
I see you also state The Netherlands as your home base.
I have just upgraded my AFD/II (Mamiya) to the AFD/III and am selling my 645AFD/II (in new like condition) if you are interested please contact me
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:41:34 pm by Frank Doorhof »

robert zimmerman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:44:10 am »

hi yaron,

as stated above, almost every back, except the h3d II 31 i think, will work on a view camera. the big differences are in the workflow and specific functions of the software. live view for example.

i would sincerely advise you to work with each and every one of the cameras, backs and the software, in order to know what system will work according to your needs.

if you plan on working professionaly in germany i think you have to look hard at phase one. they're omnipresent here and most techs, assistants and photographers are using phase and c1.
i went with leaf by the way, and although i like the aptus and the software, if i had a route into a phase one system, without having to pay a huge amount to switch systems, i might be tempted to do it.

sincerely, kipling

Welcome on board Yaron,

In brief, most view camera maufacturers (Cambo, Arca-Swiss, Linhof etc.) provide interchangeable adapter plates for their cameras. There are other, 3rd party manufacturers who can provide these adapters for both 5X4 and 6X9 cameras.

If your MF camera of choice it, let's say, a Mamiya AFD/II/III and you have chosen a digital back made for it, you can buy the relevant adapter plate for it to fit your view camera.

Some back manufacturers can also provide own-made adapters for 5X4 cameras, most ly in universal Graflok fit.

If you change to a different mount back, you will have to buy another adapter plate. These plates vary in price depending on the manufacturer and configuration, but in general they are the more affordable link in the chain.

Some back manufacturers allow for the mount of the back to be changed by the user, requiring purchasing a new interface plate. Other will ask for the back to be sent in for this, at a comparable price.

That is all in brief, PM or email me if you want to dig in deeper and to look at some relevant links.

Good luck

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 09:13:22 am »

Mounts : Beware

While most backs go onto view cameras NOT all back change easily between diferent Medium Format Camera systems

Ie if you buy an Mamiya mount Phase One back and then change to shooting on lets say the Hasselblad V system you would have to change your back or at least send it back to the factory for a major re-fit

If you owned a Hasselblad H1 fit Leaf back and Leaf brought out thier own camera you would need a new back (this happened!)

Sinar Digital Backs win big here because they have simple adapter plates that go between the back and the body and cost about $1000 US I think per fitting - the first being 'free' with the digital back purchase

Some (possibly discontinued) hasselblad models also had the plate system I am not sure about current Hasselblads

Of course the makers of MF bodies can fiddle with the electronics to lock out other brands of back hassy did this

So an easy change back may not be the only thing you are after

SMM
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:14:06 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:06:06 am »

Thanks all, I appreciate the guidance.

Frank, it will be a while before I make a decision. I will wait until September to make a decision, and I will check if your gear is still available.

kipling, I don't shoot professionally, but the point on the existing infrastructure is well taken.

M_M, thanks for the note; I've noticed Sinars being used on the backs of Linhofs and Arca Swiss...

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:27:01 am »

In light of the fact that the digital back has the highest initial cost, it is imperative that it provide me with the flexibility to move to a different body throughout its life. One thing that is not clear is which mount is the most flexible.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204423\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There might be a little confusion here so I will try to clarify. Some digital backs come with a fixed mount which is specific to one camera platform, e.g. Contax 645. These backs can't be used on other SLRs but some can be used on certain view cameras via the right adapter.

On the other hand, Sinar and Hasselblad CF backs use mount adapters so that you can use the same back on practically all the SLRs as well as view cameras, of course. So in general if you want to be free to swap platforms freely I would recommend Sinar (Hasselblad has no Hy6 adapter and there are power issues too).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:41:27 am by foto-z »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:31:03 am »

Thanks all, I appreciate the guidance.

Frank, it will be a while before I make a decision. I will wait until September to make a decision, and I will check if your gear is still available.

kipling, I don't shoot professionally, but the point on the existing infrastructure is well taken.

M_M, thanks for the note; I've noticed Sinars being used on the backs of Linhofs and Arca Swiss...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Attaching Digital backs to view cameras typically goes like this..

Digi Back, Adapter Plate, View Camera

While I dont want to comment on specific digibacks and viewcameras that I dont own I would imagine that all digibacks in any camera fitting would function with the popular view cameras you mention

Some digibacks (from hassy?) are powered by the camera so power supply becomes an issue when there is no MF camera atttached to the back

The issue of compatability comes into play when you are choosing a non view camera system ie a normal 645 camera

eg a 'phase one back in mamiya fit' wont go on a hassy V series camera

a 'contax mount Leaf' wont go onto an H1 etc

A sinar will go onto any popular MF body although the electronics are now locking them or some of the bodies functionality out of hassy H cameras

For your information I own a Sinar Back and use it with an H1 camera or a Sinar View camera with no plate change becuse the sinar view camera has a 'hassy plate' that inserts into the Linhof sliding back that is attached to the sinar camer - the hassy plate was made by Phase One whos software I also use to decode my sinar files

Its all simple really but I can see that it sounds complex !

SMM

(Edit; I hit the 'post' button at the same time as graham - we are saying the same thing)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:33:45 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:18:04 pm »

...Some digibacks (from hassy?) are powered by the camera so power supply becomes an issue when there is no MF camera atttached to the back...
That one is important to look out for, thanks.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 02:54:35 pm »

Only the H3D backs are powered from the camerabody. The CF backs are not, they have their own battery or are powered via the firewire cable. So, no problem with the CF backs there.

CF backs do use adapterplates. Yes, there currently is no Hy6 or Afi adapter plate but there is for virtually any other camera system including Rollei6008. Would be nice if Hasselblad would come out with a Hy6 plate

Furthermore the CF can be used on the H2F that enables the usage of the HC28 (Hasselblad 28mm). Effectively turning the CF into a H3D with the exception of ultra focus.

Both Sinar as well as Hasselblad offer multishot versions of their adapter-plate backs. The Hasselblad multishot backs have screens where the Sinars don't. This can be handy when not used tethered in single shot mode.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:59:49 pm by Dustbak »
Pages: [1]   Go Up