Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hassie H: 50-120 Zoom or Stick w/ Fixed Lenses?  (Read 4957 times)

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
Hassie H: 50-120 Zoom or Stick w/ Fixed Lenses?
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:50:44 pm »

I've never shot Hasselblad until now. Back in my film days, I was a Mamiya 67 and Nikon guy. Now, I'm a digital Canon and newly minted Hasselblad guy. I'm picking up an H1 that I'll have Hasselblad convert over to an H2. (There is no difference according to Hasselblad.) Now, it's time to buy some lenses. My preference is to stick with fixed focal length lenses. Ideally, I'd like a 50mm, 80mm, and the 120 macro. My budget won't allow that right now. (Although I'm picking up an 80mm since they're cheap.)

So I'm thinking of picking up the 50-120. It's about the same price (used) as a 50mm which would be my other option. Anyone using the 50-120? I love the 50mm - it's been my lens of choice when I rent the camera. How's the 50-120 compare in sharpness, contrast etc? I'll be using it with my Aptus 22 for lifestyle/fashion work.

Thanks!

John

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:30:21 pm »

The 50-110 is my most used lens. It is heavy so difficult to use handheld but I do. I also have the 35,80,100,150,210&300 but the zoom is used most.

It is fabulous in quality, actually so good you almost would not believe it. It is better than some of the fixed. Definitely better than the 80, virtually on par with the 100 (which is very good) and some people that have or used to have the 50 claim it is better than the 50. I have never used or heard about the macro.

Again, it is heavy and will wear you out when using handheld. On a tripod, it is definitely the must have lens.

All IMO naturally and with my way of working which is about 50% fixed and 50% handheld currently.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 04:55:08 pm »

the zoom is a great lens on a tripod

personally I picked it up (handheld) and thought - im never going to use that -

and the slow aperture is never going to replace 2.8 on the 80 so I cnat throw away my other lenses

so I didnt buy it and wont

I have 35, 50 80 and 1.7 converter which I use instead of going longer than 80 until budget allows another lens

I could live without the 35 (most of the time)

IMO the lens will just weigh down your bag and your wallet and not get used

others with different uses would see it all different

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 05:06:04 pm »

I have 50-110 zoom and I have tried every prime HC lens.  I currently own the 28mm, 80mm, 100mm, 120mm macro, 210, and 300mm and 1.7xTC.  I think the zoom is as good as any of the other choices in a similar focal range.  The 100mm is quite fast and offers better bokeh, and 120mm is much better for close up shooting.  However, the zoom does quite well if you get a set of extension tubes.  With that said I agree with the others about it being big and heavy and not the type of lens I like for handholding. However, I would say when i am hiking or doing landscapes, this lens is on the camera 90 percent of the time.  I had the 35mm and  thought it was good as well. I compared the 50mm prime and zoom.  They are optically equivalent in my opinion. I did my comparison with the H3DII-31 so on a fuller frame sensor, I cannot comment on the corners.  FInally, in my opinion the 100+1.7x is as good as the 150mm in my opinion.  The 210mm is outstanding as well.  Of course the 300mm is great but large and I do not use as often.

I've never shot Hasselblad until now. Back in my film days, I was a Mamiya 67 and Nikon guy. Now, I'm a digital Canon and newly minted Hasselblad guy. I'm picking up an H1 that I'll have Hasselblad convert over to an H2. (There is no difference according to Hasselblad.) Now, it's time to buy some lenses. My preference is to stick with fixed focal length lenses. Ideally, I'd like a 50mm, 80mm, and the 120 macro. My budget won't allow that right now. (Although I'm picking up an 80mm since they're cheap.)

So I'm thinking of picking up the 50-120. It's about the same price (used) as a 50mm which would be my other option. Anyone using the 50-120? I love the 50mm - it's been my lens of choice when I rent the camera. How's the 50-120 compare in sharpness, contrast etc? I'll be using it with my Aptus 22 for lifestyle/fashion work.

Thanks!

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:49:21 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I never thought of the weight. I like to shoot handheld as much as possible so that's definitely a consideration. If I were shooting on a tripod, I'd have gone with the Mamiya RZ and saved myself a lot of money.

John

gss

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:12:40 pm »

I like this lens.  I was amazed the first time I saw how much clarity it had.  I own the 35, 50-110, 80 (don't even know where I have this, never use it), 100 (beautiful lens), 120 (another beautiful lens),  210 and 1.7 teleconverter.
The 50-110 does get used.  I don't really notice the weight much; the camera is not light and counterbalances it quite well.  That said, you are already comfortable with the 50 and 80 combination, so it may be the best route for you.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:05:21 pm »

I agree the weight balances well --- it is just the point of getting the most of the resolving power when handholding a heavier longer lens. I just went out and got some pretty decent shots at 1/60 sec hand held at 80mm using the zoom.

I like this lens.  I was amazed the first time I saw how much clarity it had.  I own the 35, 50-110, 80 (don't even know where I have this, never use it), 100 (beautiful lens), 120 (another beautiful lens),  210 and 1.7 teleconverter.
The 50-110 does get used.  I don't really notice the weight much; the camera is not light and counterbalances it quite well.  That said, you are already comfortable with the 50 and 80 combination, so it may be the best route for you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

stewarthemley

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 05:15:47 am »

Another vote for the zoom. Great image quality. It is heavy, the H series with any lens is heavy IMO, but I find it surprisingly easy to manage. I think it's what people have said - the balance is right. I actually find that combo less tiring than my Canons, especially when the 70-200 zoom is on. Not that I could use either for too long without a chance for the wrists to recover!

Studio12NYC

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 08:48:37 pm »

One of their best lenses next to the 120 Macro.

Don't hesitate.

But it is heavy.

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 11:19:07 pm »

hard lens to use handheld imho.....especially when shooting vertical(though i think h1 is difficult to handhold vertically with any lens)....i would stick with primes if you shoot handheld a lot... easier to manage.

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:47:43 pm »

Well, I just got back from my friendly Calumet dealer where I checked out the 50-110. The test images that I shot were amazingly sharp. This lens is clearly no slouch. But the weight makes it completely impractical for my shooting style. I was joking with Tom at Calumet SD that one side benefit of buying this lens would be that I could cancel my gym membership since lugging it around would be such a workout.

So... I guess I'll be sticking with primes. Thanks everyone for your input.

John

Bernd B.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 05:24:43 pm »

Well, I just got back from my friendly Calumet dealer where I checked out the 50-110. The test images that I shot were amazingly sharp. This lens is clearly no slouch. But the weight makes it completely impractical for my shooting style. I was joking with Tom at Calumet SD that one side benefit of buying this lens would be that I could cancel my gym membership since lugging it around would be such a workout.

So... I guess I'll be sticking with primes. Thanks everyone for your input.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205316\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn´t buy it for the same reason.

Only the gap between 50 and 80 is sometimes a bit wide.

Bernd
Pages: [1]   Go Up