Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple prints on Z3100  (Read 2942 times)

petermarrek

Multiple prints on Z3100
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:56:01 am »

Have I overlooked something? Has anyone been able to configure the HP driver to print multiple images w/o a rip or ganging them up in PS. Thank you, Peter

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Multiple prints on Z3100
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:21:22 am »

I haven't found a way to do this in the Z3100 driver. I think you have to use a rip or Photoshop.

I simply create custom paper sizes in CS3 for specific custom layouts, for example:

(2) 16x20 & (3) 11x14 on 44x34.psd
(4) 8x10 Prints on 24x18.psd

I have about 15 of these set up.

Once the custom paper image is opened up, I turn on the grid display and drag each flattened print file to the larger blank white page. I save each one so it is ready to use next time I need it. Each set up is designed to require as few cuts as possible.

In the Z3100 printer driver set up the custom paper size that you are using and then under Paper Quality - Margins/Layout set it to Clip Contents by Margin so you do not have any centering issues.

Really doesn't take much time and works like a champ.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

rdonson

Multiple prints on Z3100
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:44:27 am »

This isn't functionality of the Z3100 driver.  Jim's provided insight in how to do it in Photoshop.  If you'd like to do it more easily consider Qimage.  

Lightroom does a reasonable job as well although it doesn't uprez or sharpen the images for printing nearly as well as Qimage.  It also doesn't provide for softproofing.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Multiple prints on Z3100
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:21:22 am »

Hmmmm . . . . works for me without an external RIP.  In the configure printer settings window you get through the Printer Utility, I have queue set to ON, nest set to Optimized Order, start printing set to After Procesing.   The printer waits a bit after sending a job to see if you will be sending more than one job that will fit the paper loaded.  If it fits, the printer will nest them automatically.  I make sure that each file has a page size big enough to provide the margin needed around each print so they don't get printed too closely together.  There is not the layout control you have with a RIP. as the printer decides the exact nesting layout, but it is better than nothing.   I sometimes will just gang images in Photoshop, though, too.
I hope this helps,
Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

peteh

• http://
Multiple prints on Z3100
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:30:05 pm »

Hmmmm . . . . works for me without an external RIP.  In the configure printer settings window you get through the Printer Utility, I have queue set to ON, nest set to Optimized Order, start printing set to After Procesing.   The printer waits a bit after sending a job to see if you will be sending more than one job that will fit the paper loaded.  If it fits, the printer will nest them automatically.  I make sure that each file has a page size big enough to provide the margin needed around each print so they don't get printed too closely together.  There is not the layout control you have with a RIP. as the printer decides the exact nesting layout, but it is better than nothing.   I sometimes will just gang images in Photoshop, though, too.
I hope this helps,
Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'll 2nd the use of Qimage.I've had it for a while and am just learning the program.
So far with my first print it worked well.I got burnt wasting paper and ink.At least now I know where the print will be on the roll , how big it will be and free upgrades for life.There is lot's to learn of that software. I have the studio edition.It runs well under bootcamp on a  Apple computer.I'm using XP Pro.
Pages: [1]   Go Up