Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase - Leaf and SPPED  (Read 3297 times)

JTFOTO

• http://
Phase - Leaf and SPPED
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:10:26 pm »

It has been a while since I have been around these parts as I have been too busy.

As some of you may recall I am a huge Phase fan and shooter.

I was recently shooting the cover of a major celebrity magazine and was shooting Phase and had the new AFi7 on set doing some shots with it here and there.

The Phase was shooting with the Hassy H1 and the AFi was complete.

My main concern with the Phase was the delay in shooting.  Not sure if that was with the back, computer, body or a combination.  I would press the button and stuff was not ready at times.

The Leaf just seem to shoot and shoot and shoot with out delay. Catching laughter and sly smirks.  The software was working and I did not seem to have a hitch.  But that was with three towers backing themselves up two digital Techs and if anything went wrong we would just change the cable and the other machine was ready to go in a matter of 5 seconds.  Not cheap, but the only way to do it when you only have two hours with one of the biggest celebrities in the world.

The Phase I would hit the button and nothing.  I would hit again and just get frustrated within myself.  You NEVER let them see you sweat, ESPECIALLY with celebrity stuff.

How are you guys doing it shooting Phase with Mamiya or Contax?  I am not going Contax that is for sure.  I may go Mamiya to be able to get back to my beloved RZ and have the AFD as a pop around camera.

I am a P30 and P45 shooter, but may soon be an AFi6 and AFi7 shooter.  The one problem is what I have been reading here about tethered problems.  This is why I left Leaf two and a half years ago.  In the 2.5 years with Phase I have yet to see one problem with C1, not a one and the files are always there and no worries at all with tethering.  Tethering with Canon and Phase with out a hitch.

The Tech company was great. After, we chatted about the delay and they were just chatting about the buffer that Leaf now has.  They say they do see more problems with leaf on set and have yet to experience a problem with Phase.  But , because there is so much redundancy when they shoot leaf that they don't stress about it.  The Phase gear was mine and always works but I have never experienced a shoot delay because firing strobes.  This time we shot continuous lighting and the strobe set was Profoto bi-tubes recycling as fast as the Leaf.

Any one have advice?

Don't worry Steve I will call you when I am ready to buy Leaf! ;-)

If I stay Phase and Switch to Mamiya I will go with Chris.

Maybe you two should Partner and open and office in NYC.  PPCI? Professional Photo Capture Integration has a snazzy ring to it.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:32:26 pm by JTFOTO »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase - Leaf and SPPED
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:18:15 am »

It has been a while since I have been around these parts as I have been too busy.

As some of you may recall I am a huge Phase fan and shooter.

I was recently shooting the cover of a major celebrity magazine and was shooting Phase and had the new AFi7 on set doing some shots with it here and there.

The Phase was shooting with the Hassy H1 and the AFi was complete.

My main concern with the Phase was the delay in shooting.  Not sure if that was with the back, computer, body or a combination.  I would press the button and stuff was not ready at times.

The Leaf just seem to shoot and shoot and shoot with out delay. Catching laughter and sly smirks.  The software was working and I did not seem to have a hitch.  But that was with three towers backing themselves up two digital Techs and if anything went wrong we would just change the cable and the other machine was ready to go in a matter of 5 seconds.  Not cheap, but the only way to do it when you only have two hours with one of the biggest celebrities in the world.

The Phase I would hit the button and nothing.  I would hit again and just get frustrated within myself.  You NEVER let them see you sweat, ESPECIALLY with celebrity stuff.

How are you guys doing it shooting Phase with Mamiya or Contax?  I am not going Contax that is for sure.  I may go Mamiya to be able to get back to my beloved RZ and have the AFD as a pop around camera.

I am a P30 and P45 shooter, but may soon be an AFi6 and AFi7 shooter.  The one problem is what I have been reading here about tethered problems.  This is why I left Leaf two and a half years ago.  In the 2.5 years with Phase I have yet to see one problem with C1, not a one and the files are always there and no worries at all with tethering.  Tethering with Canon and Phase with out a hitch.

The Tech company was great. After, we chatted about the delay and they were just chatting about the buffer that Leaf now has.  They say they do see more problems with leaf on set and have yet to experience a problem with Phase.  But , because there is so much redundancy when they shoot leaf that they don't stress about it.  The Phase gear was mine and always works but I have never experienced a shoot delay because firing strobes.  This time we shot continuous lighting and the strobe set was Profoto bi-tubes recycling as fast as the Leaf.

Any one have advice?

Don't worry Steve I will call you when I am ready to buy Leaf! ;-)

If I stay Phase and Switch to Mamiya I will go with Chris.

Maybe you two should Partner and open and office in NYC.  PPCI? Professional Photo Capture Integration has a snazzy ring to it.

Thanks for any help!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I did a BIG shoot last year with the Aptus 22/AFDII Mamiya with a repeater. What I mean by a repeater is the Aptus is power hungry & with a repeater you can shoot as fast as you can without a crash. The one reason I shoot with the Aptus besides speed is great skin tone!
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

amsp

Phase - Leaf and SPPED
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:00:27 am »

Not sure what the problem might have been, never had a delay problem myself with my P25 and Mamiya combo.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:00:53 am by amsp »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Phase - Leaf and SPPED
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:48:39 am »

Hi
I did a BIG shoot last year with the Aptus 22/AFDII Mamiya with a repeater. What I mean by a repeater is the Aptus is power hungry & with a repeater you can shoot as fast as you can without a crash. The one reason I shoot with the Aptus besides speed is great skin tone!
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've heard the skin tone thing before and actually did a lot of tests with the A-22 and the P30 to compare.

Most of the difference in skin tone became light, subject, processor dependent.  With warm toned skin and window light and some flash, the Aptus was prettier, with HIMI's the P-30 was much nicer, especially in lightroom, with tungsten the P-30, with direct daylight the Aptus, etc. etc.

Neither one was really head and shoulders consistent above the others, so from my experience the skin tone thing of the Aptus, though mentioned like urban legend was just that.

Once again, some of this is processor dependent, and V4 has better ski tones than 3.78 for most scenarios.

The thing that I did notice that the great equalizer in all the cameras I use is Raw Developer.  It pretty much allows you to even it all out to match.

JR

P.S.  To add to this the one thing I've noticed about medium format is it's very color sensitive, especially to ambient color of the room or the scene.

Actually, compared to most films I find digital to pick up more ambient colors than film did.

I  always thought one of the reasons film looked good was it was kind of stupid.  It saw what was in front of the lens and not much else, where digital goes in different degrees of what it sees.

The Canons are more global in color the medium format backs more color specific.  Medium format probably is much better in shooting fruit and color charts but put some model with light translucent skin in open shade and green grass and you can spend a lifetime getting the skin color  to look human and not either pasty or bright green/yellow.

A few weeks ago in LA we did a lifestyle shoot and on one day shot kids doing active running leaping, jumping etc.  For this day I shot the Canons and the P-30 side by side, mostly just to be sure I covered the action.

In post processing for the galleries the difference was dramatic.  On the Phase, (the p30 more than the P21) it picked up the exact tone and color of each kids skin.  Scientifically it was superior but if a kid was pasty white, the file was pasty white.

The Canons were more even across the board and regardless of the kids original skin color had more continuity.

Now in final Raw Developer is the equalizer, but it still takes specific presets to make this work.

I haven't shot the Aptus in a while so I can't comment on LC11 or even the newer Aptus backs, but Phase really needs to develope some new profiles for their backs to make them less sensitive in certain situations.

JR
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:19:56 am by James R Russell »

woof75

Phase - Leaf and SPPED
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:35:19 am »

I've heard the skin tone thing before and actually did a lot of tests with the A-22 and the P30 to compare.

Most of the difference in skin tone became light, subject, processor dependent.  With warm toned skin and window light and some flash, the Aptus was prettier, with HIMI's the P-30 was much nicer, especially in lightroom, with tungsten the P-30, with direct daylight the Aptus, etc. etc.

Neither one was really head and shoulders consistent above the others, so from my experience the skin tone thing of the Aptus, though mentioned like urban legend was just that.

Once again, some of this is processor dependent, and V4 has better ski tones than 3.78 for most scenarios.

The thing that I did notice that the great equalizer in all the cameras I use is Raw Developer.  It pretty much allows you to even it all out to match.

JR

P.S.  To add to this the one thing I've noticed about medium format is it's very color sensitive, especially to ambient color of the room or the scene.

Actually, compared to most films I find digital to pick up more ambient colors than film did.

I  always thought one of the reasons film looked good was it was kind of stupid.  It saw what was in front of the lens and not much else, where digital goes in different degrees of what it sees.

The Canons are more global in color the medium format backs more color specific.  Medium format probably is much better in shooting fruit and color charts but put some model with light translucent skin in open shade and green grass and you can spend a lifetime getting the skin color  to look human and not either pasty or bright green/yellow.

A few weeks ago in LA we did a lifestyle shoot and on one day shot kids doing active running leaping, jumping etc.  For this day I shot the Canons and the P-30 side by side, mostly just to be sure I covered the action.

In post processing for the galleries the difference was dramatic.  On the Phase, (the p30 more than the P21) it picked up the exact tone and color of each kids skin.  Scientifically it was superior but if a kid was pasty white, the file was pasty white.

The Canons were more even across the board and regardless of the kids original skin color had more continuity.

Now in final Raw Developer is the equalizer, but it still takes specific presets to make this work.

I haven't shot the Aptus in a while so I can't comment on LC11 or even the newer Aptus backs, but Phase really needs to develope some new profiles for their backs to make them less sensitive in certain situations.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203976\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just had a look at the RAW Developer software and the files from my P21 were incredible compared to what I was getting in Lightroom it's just so clunky compared to LR though, not being able to control individual colors is a real downside and also not being able to tweak tone so finely sucks  but man those files are beautiful.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Phase - Leaf and SPPED
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:43:21 am »

I just had a look at the RAW Developer software and the files from my P21 were incredible compared to what I was getting in Lightroom it's just so clunky compared to LR though, not being able to control individual colors is a real downside and also not being able to tweak tone so finely sucks  but man those files are beautiful.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can control the colors, though it's hard to find.

On the input window, go to the edit button and a new window will replace the input with all three channels with little click adjustments for three colors in each channel.

It's very elegent in it's result, not so elegent in it's use.

Once done, save that setting and then at the botton of the edit window hit the hide button and it will take you back to the original settings window.

there is also two ways to correct tone, one with curves the otheer with sliders.  

It does most of what lightroom does except vignette and yes it's not the most elegent software.

I kind of think of it like that great paris lab that r was difficult to find and the owner was cranky, but made great film.

It's clunky, but what a look.

JR
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:05:58 am by James R Russell »

DesW

Phase - Leaf and SPPED
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 03:40:22 am »

I just had a look at the RAW Developer software and the files from my P21 were incredible compared to what I was getting in Lightroom it's just so clunky compared to LR though, not being able to control individual colors is a real downside and also not being able to tweak tone so finely sucks  but man those files are beautiful.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi there,

Pleased to see you guys like the Phase files in the RAW Dev-- When they first got  the Program going

I sent them the first P25 files to get them cracking

On 30/09/2005, at 2:19 AM, Iridient Digital Tech Support wrote:

Hi Des,

If you've got any well lit shots of color test charts (ColorChecker, IT8, Q13, etc) those are especially helpful, otherwise I'll take whatever you've got. know the files from the P25 are pretty huge so I'd say send at most 3 files

To access the FTP server use the following:
Host/URL: iridientdigital.com
Username: bagrif_uploads
Password: imguploads07
Path: just leave blank, you'll automatically be put into the only folder you can access.

Thanks,
Brian Griffith
Iridient Digital

Nice bunch of guys --slightly flaky software but FAST and  lovely clean Colours.

Kudos to them.

I am going to test the AFi A75 v Phase P45+ for myself --will report.

DesW
[a href=\"http://www.deswilliams.com]http://www.deswilliams.com[/url]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:42:15 am by DesW »
Pages: [1]   Go Up