Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 64bit or Vista 64bit for CS3?  (Read 9876 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Windows 64bit or Vista 64bit for CS3?
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 10:27:19 am »

I am coming from a MacBook Pro with one physical drive.

You can't control the size of the partition that XP is installed on under XP.    This is more important if you are using Boot Camp on a laptop since most laptops only have one physical drive installed.  

Example,  under boot camp you give 100GB to your XP partition   XP will see 100 GB as drive C.  This is your main drive and it's where the OS is going to be installed.  You can't repartition this drive in XP to make it (2) 50GB drives, (3) 25GB drives etc.  This would be a better solution for CS3 since one of the logical drives could be used for  scratch.  You also can't use tools like partition magic to size on the fly or use Drive Image to back up since neither of these tools understand how the Boot Camp positioning works.  Thus if you try to back up and reinstall your image, it won't know where to put it.  So  you can't do anything with that boot camp created partition except use it to load XP/Vista etc  and load everything else on.  It's very limiting.    I have only loaded Boot Camp on Macbook Pro's never a Mac Tower with multiple Physical hard drives.  I am not sure if Disk Manager will see other physical drives, but you still won't be able to logically repartition the drive that the OS is installed on.

I never figured out how while at setup of boot camp to create 3 drives, one for OSX, one for the XP OS, and one for Data.   There was some info on it, but I never could get it to work and have XP install correctly.

Under XP this is not very efficient.  You will have to degfrag this drive and doing it will take considerable time.  Also under CS3, you will have to use this same drive for scratch unless you mount an external drive.
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 04:42:03 pm »

Photoshop CS3 does not benefit from separate partitions on the same physical drive. Scratch disk can be set to an external firewire 800 drive if necessary. The Windows partition can be changed using a free utility called WinClone which will save your existing Windows installation (on a Mac formatted hard drive). The size of the partition can then be changed using BootCamp setup, ultimately restoring the cloned Windows installation on the new partition without having to reinstall or reregister the software.

I have already performed the procedure on my MacBook Pro with no ill effects.

http://twocanoes.com/winclone/
Gerald J Skrocki

Dinarius

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 02:01:17 am »

Jerry,

Thanks for the input.

I had a RAID (mirrored) setup, but I had the drives split into two individual drives - C: and CS3 scratch disk. Works well.

My new machine will have a similar setup.

D.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 10:16:55 am »

I had a RAID (mirrored) setup, but I had the drives split into two individual drives - C: and CS3 scratch disk. Works well.

That is stupid. There is zero speed advantage to having your work drive and scratch drive on the same physical disk or RAID array. The only way you gain any speed advantage is if they are completely separate physical devices, either separate arrays or single drive. And having separate partitions wastes disk space. Putting multiple partitions on a single drive is a holdover from DOS days when drives were bigger than the original FAT filesystem allowed. Now that file systems support exabyte-sized drives, there is no speed or any other advantage whatsoever in putting more than one partition on a single drive or RAID array.

Dinarius

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 01:06:14 pm »

The only way you gain any speed advantage is if they are completely separate physical devices, either separate arrays or single drive.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is PRECISELY what I do have.

Funny that you're the only one that read my post the way you did.  

D.

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 01:49:34 pm »

That is PRECISELY what I do have.

Funny that you're the only one that read my post the way you did.   

D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, I read it the way Jonathan did too, but you and I had communicated privately so I knew otherwise.

So..... is it faster than your old setup? Be well.

Kind regards,
Derek
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up