Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pacific Coast in November 08  (Read 40383 times)

daleeman

• http://
Pacific Coast in November 08
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:09:30 pm »

We will be going out to the Pacific coast in California in November. Flying into SF and then going to Yosemite for 4 days. Then we are going up to northern California and slowly working out way down the coast for an additional week. Can any one give us some ideas of what to see and what we should never miss. I do the photos and Sue is an avid bird watcher. Finding what she would like to see is as important as what I hope to photograph.... or more.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:15:29 am by daleeman »

peteh

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

We will be going out to the Pacific coast in California in November. Flying into SF and then going to Yosemity for 4 days. Then we are going up to northern California and slowly working out way down the coast for an additional week. Can any one give us some ideas of what to see and what we should never miss. I do the photos and Sue is an avid bird watcher. Finding what she would like to see is as important as what I hope to photograph.... or more.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203486\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's Yosemite.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:02:17 am »

I've never been there, but I understand the Mendocino area is quite beautiful.  You might want to have a look here: http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cacoast/C...ornia_Coast.htm

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:19:24 am »

I live in Humboldt County near one of the best bird watching areas in the world. We get stopovers from migrating birds each year. However, that is now over--they've migrated. But you can still get in some good birding here.

If the weather is right, you can get some of the best coastal sunset shots in the world here, but they don't happen too often. It's a very overcast and cool area normally.

After you get back down to SF, you DO NOT want to miss Monterrey-Carmel, which is south of SF.

I could keep you VERY busy for 8 hours hiking around where I live, within the 20 mile coastal scenic area from Arcata to Trinidad.

If you want, shoot me an email, and I'll give you a tour of the Arcata-Trinidad area, including the Marsh where lots of birders go.

Do some research on your own for the Arcata-Trinidad area, and let me know what you want to see. I actually live 1/4 mile from some of the most protected dunes in CA, where the Redwoods meet the ocean.

It would be an easy tour for me and no imposition at all.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:28:42 am by dwdallam »

daleeman

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:14:48 pm »

Thanks for that correction

It's Yosemite.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

daleeman

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:17:01 pm »

I've never been there, but I understand the Mendocino area is quite beautiful.  You might want to have a look here: http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cacoast/C...ornia_Coast.htm

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Mike I'll look at these suggestions.

daleeman

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:28:51 pm »

I live in Humboldt County near one of the best bird watching areas in the world. We get stopovers from migrating birds each year. However, that is now over--they've migrated. But you can still get in some good birding here.

If the weather is right, you can get some of the best coastal sunset shots in the world here, but they don't happen too often. It's a very overcast and cool area normally.

After you get back down to SF, you DO NOT want to miss Monterrey-Carmel, which is south of SF.

I could keep you VERY busy for 8 hours hiking around where I live, within the 20 mile coastal scenic area from Arcata to Trinidad.

If you want, shoot me an email, and I'll give you a tour of the Arcata-Trinidad area, including the Marsh where lots of birders go.

Do some research on your own for the Arcata-Trinidad area, and let me know what you want to see. I actually live 1/4 mile from some of the most protected dunes in CA, where the Redwoods meet the ocean.

It would be an easy tour for me and no imposition at all.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203543\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, it would be a good chance to see the wonders of what you have seen. Sue has heard of Humbldt area and we do plan on being in the are for a while. So yea, I'll keep in touch. I'll also look into the Arcata-Trinidad area. This souds like a strong opportunity too.

I'm slowly moving back to my roots, I'm using all that cool and expensive digital stuff less and less and moving back into film. Mostly for the beauty and time in a quiet and relaxing darkroom... its good for ones mental health.

Back pre-digital days, I remembering going from Monterray to Carmel on the 17 mile road. I'll have to find those negs and refresh my memory. I remember the bird island, and the one twisted tree on the rock. Life was amazing with my 50mm lens on my old Leicaflex SL. Now that I am moving back in time and enjoying slower things, I find myself using an M2 a bunch, driven by my father wo taught me you can do almost anything with one lens, just be in the right place at the right time.

So Sue and I will dig into more info and stay in touch. When we get out there it will mostlt likely be between 7 and 13th of November.

Anyone else reading this post I hope could also join us and make it a Luminous Landscape reunion and shoot out.

Lee

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 07:14:38 pm »

Best places that come to mind along the coast...

Rockefeller Forest in Humboldt Redwoods State Park (nearish Eureka)
Stout Grove in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park (near Crescent City)
Fern Canyon in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park (between Crescent City & Eureka)
Point Lobos State Reserve (just south of Carmel)
Mendocino (but lower priority on my list than the previous places)
Dinner at the Benbow Inn (just south of Garberville) - not for photography, just great food!  (a great place to stay too, if you feel like a splurge)

If you are willing to go slightly up into Oregon, Harris Beach State Park and Samuel L. Boardman State Scenic Corridor have great sea rocks - well worth it too.

I don't know much about birds, though, so I'm no help there...

Lisa
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:15:54 pm by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

peteh

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 10:40:42 pm »

Best places that come to mind along the coast...

Rockefeller Forest in Humboldt Redwoods State Park (nearish Eureka)
Stout Grove in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park (near Crescent City)
Fern Canyon in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park (between Crescent City & Eureka)
Point Lobos State Reserve (just south of Carmel)
Mendocino (but lower priority on my list than the previous places)
Dinner at the Benbow Inn (just south of Garberville) - not for photography, just great food!  (a great place to stay too, if you feel like a splurge)

If you are willing to go slightly up into Oregon, Harris Beach State Park and Samuel L. Boardman State Scenic Corridor have great sea rocks - well worth it too.

I don't know much about birds, though, so I'm no help there...

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I live 50 mile North of SF Hwy. 1 is nice but will take LOTS of time to travel on.Try to stay on 101 and look for places to go off 101 for maybe 2 hours to the coast and back.That would be at River Road ,North of Santa Rosa and to the coast and back WILL TAKE 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. Two lane road/one in each direction.Stay on 101 and go North.There is lot's to see on 101.Drivers in CA. SUCK BAD ! Beware!The Hwy 1 route is like VERY curvey and narrow.5 hours to make 60 miles, NO LIE !

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 10:51:55 pm »

If headed south to the central coast, there are many great locations along Highway 1.

Wilder Ranch just outside Santa Cruz
Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach
Elkhorn Slough outside Moss Landing is known for birds---but I'm not a birder...
Point Lobos
Carmel Highlands to Big Sur
Julia Pfeiffer State Parks

Lots of fires right now-----Hwy 1 closed at about Ventana right now.  Hopefully nature has recovered well by the time of your trip.....

dwdallam

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 02:37:09 am »

So Sue and I will dig into more info and stay in touch. When we get out there it will mostlt likely be between 7 and 13th of November.

Anyone else reading this post I hope could also join us and make it a Luminous Landscape reunion and shoot out.

Lee
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203618\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You do realize that November will be quite cold for Northern CA, right? I mean it's not horrible, but November "starts" our rainy season, which means you could get rain for two weeks straight--no joke. September is our driest and warmest month. So far we have had maybe 3 days of warm sunshine. The rest of the time, from January until now have been of three types: Overcast, Wind, Cold, or a combination thereof. It's been a long winter for us this season. If you want to spend a night in Humboldt, the Lost Whale Inn is WONDERFUL. It overlooks the ocean and has a deck all around it. It's individually owned and has about 7 rooms in an old Victorian style house. It's amazing, comfy, homie, warm, so, so nice.

www.lostwhaleinn.com

BradSmith

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 08:18:29 pm »

Drivers in CA. SUCK BAD ! Beware!The Hwy 1 route is like VERY curvey and narrow.5 hours to make 60 miles, NO LIE !
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203720\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sorry, but what Peteh wrote is just foolishness........  As a photographer who wants to experience the California coast, I'd suggest you stay NEAR THE COAST, ie, on Rte 1, and not go miles and miles inland to Rte 101.  Just look at a map and you'll see what I mean.   California drivers are just about like all drivers everywhere in the US except if they live in or around the heavily congested areas, they are better drivers from having to deal with the congestion.  (probably this way for drivers all over the US)  And as far as on Rte 1, yes it is curvey (ie, along the COAST) and a standard 1 lane in each direction wide. But regarding it taking "5 hours to make 60 miles"...........that's just nuts.   Only if there is an accident or construction that closes the road for 3:45!   I would guess that in November, ie, very little traffic, you'd easily average 45mph while driving.  Obviously stops for pictures would influence your final distance.

Don't be scared away from this drive.   It is absolutely wonderful.

(any others familiar with this route, please feel free to jump in)
Brad

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 09:11:45 pm »

It can get a bit slower on Hwy 1 south towards Big Sur----lots of curves and beautiful scenery.  But you shouldn't be driving fast in this area anyway!

No worries about the weather down here on the central coast.  Californian's may "bitch" about the weather, but we really don't have much in terms of seasons here. ["It's 60 degrees fahreheit---I'm cold..."]        We don't have weather like the midwest or back east!  Micro climes do change quickly here.  It can be brisk, yet quite warm the next day----and yes, warm into November and December too.....  Some images are best photographed in the colder months....Pfeiffer being a prime example.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:13:48 pm by kdphotography »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 01:02:14 am »

No worries about the weather down here on the central coast.  Californian's may "bitch" about the weather, but we really don't have much in terms of seasons here. ["It's 60 degrees fahreheit---I'm cold..."]

That reminds me of when I was working in south Texas in the winters of 1995 and 1996.  The Texans were all wearing parkas and the Canadians were wandering around in T-shirts, wondering why they were so bundled up!  It took us 1/2 hour to convince them that you could drive your truck onto the ice in the wintertime, but there was NO way they were going to believe you could build a fire on the ice.  That was just us trying to mess with them.  Didn't try to explain the rivers up north being used as highways in the winter!  Wonderful bunch of people to work with though; I miss them all.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dwdallam

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 02:58:40 am »

It can get a bit slower on Hwy 1 south towards Big Sur----lots of curves and beautiful scenery.  But you shouldn't be driving fast in this area anyway!

No worries about the weather down here on the central coast.  Californian's may "bitch" about the weather, but we really don't have much in terms of seasons here. ["It's 60 degrees fahreheit---I'm cold..."]        We don't have weather like the midwest or back east!  Micro climes do change quickly here.  It can be brisk, yet quite warm the next day----and yes, warm into November and December too.....  Some images are best photographed in the colder months....Pfeiffer being a prime example.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204095\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The comment on micro climates changing rapidly is exceptionally true. In Arcata, where I live, on the coast, it can be overcast and 58 degrees, and then 7 miles east it's clear and 85 degrees.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 01:50:26 pm »

I second the Medocino suggestion; one of our favorite places.  A few other suggestions:
Rodeo Beach just N of the GG Bridge (see attached photo of seastacks)
Point Reyes
Glass Beach near Ft. Bragg is a curiously sad place where trash was dumped for years and now glass has been worn into small polished stones by waves.  Interesting photos…

Two books I’d recommend:  John Doerper’s Coastal California (photos by Galen Rowell) and Galen’s book Bay Area Wild.  The first is a guidebook, the second just some great info and photography.

If Hwy 1 gets too tedious you can always jump over to 101 then cut back through the coastal range.  Those aren’t bad drives in themselves.

Dave Chew

blansky

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 02:44:04 pm »

Just for a clarification. The Bay area has generally fairly cool weather along the coast all the way up to Mendocino and down to Monterey all year long. The best weather is often in the fall but November is getting late.

Expect 50-60s due to the marine layer of fog that rests along the coast but sometimes will burn off by mid day. Thats highway 1.

On 101 which is 60 -70 miles from the coast depending where you are, the weather is generally a lot warmer even in November. In Wine Country, Sonoma and Napa counties it can still be Indian Summer and very sunny and nice and up to the 80s at midday. Even in Wine Country, we often have a marine layer but it usually burns off by 10-11 AM and the weather is great.

Michael

Farkled

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 10:25:38 pm »

Having done it about 15 years ago - and assuming no major changes (Ha) start at the Oregon border and make sure that you budget time for all the redwood state parks.  They are simply beautiful.

I would vote to stay on the coast highway (Rte 1) all the way down to San Simeon.  That's not to say that wine country isn't gorgeous (it is), it just that it's pretty much an either/or situation.  Look at a map and check driving times and you will see what I mean.  The Monterrey/Big Sur area is not be missed.

After San Simeon, if you have time, consider breaking east and checking out Death Valley.  It's an incredible place, just as is Yosemite.  It ought to be tolerable by November, but might  not be, so have a plan B.

peteh

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 05:28:02 pm »

I'm sorry, but what Peteh wrote is just foolishness........  As a photographer who wants to experience the California coast, I'd suggest you stay NEAR THE COAST, ie, on Rte 1, and not go miles and miles inland to Rte 101.  Just look at a map and you'll see what I mean.   California drivers are just about like all drivers everywhere in the US except if they live in or around the heavily congested areas, they are better drivers from having to deal with the congestion.  (probably this way for drivers all over the US)  And as far as on Rte 1, yes it is curvey (ie, along the COAST) and a standard 1 lane in each direction wide. But regarding it taking "5 hours to make 60 miles"...........that's just nuts.   Only if there is an accident or construction that closes the road for 3:45!   I would guess that in November, ie, very little traffic, you'd easily average 45mph while driving.  Obviously stops for pictures would influence your final distance.

Don't be scared away from this drive.   It is absolutely wonderful.

Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So how long does it take for you to go from Jenner to Ft. Bragg? Average speed on Hwy. 1 is about 35 MPH.I was not trying to scare the guy.The coast is beautiful but it takes some time.Try driving in Sonoma County and see what drivers are about.

dwdallam

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 01:44:43 am »

Don't be scared away from this drive.   It is absolutely wonderful.

Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The coastal route is not to be missed. However, after you get half way through Mendocino, RTE1 Jogs over to 101,m so you don't have to worry about choosing which HWY after that. It's 101. You can drive to the coast off the 101 and back again after RTE1 turns into 101 though if you want to see something on the coast.

Of course RTE 1 is definitely one of  the most beautiful drives along a coastal area in the world. If you start in Santa Monica, take it all the way up. Fabulous indeed. It gets better and better as you move out of the Southern part of the state into the middle and norther part also, simply because of the cliffs and rock formations.

If you remeber, call me when you get to Humboldt, and I'll take you to the top of the Trinidad head, something missed by most people visiting. If it's a clear day, you can see 20 miles each direction. Another look out spot is called Strawbery Rock, which isn't on any information pamphlet because it's private logging company land, closed to teh public. However, with all of the activists in this area, the company doesn't keep people off the trail leading up to the rock. Once there, you can see the entire coastal range of redwoods and if clear, perhaps 50 miles each direction. It's like flying in a plane.  If the clouds are right you could get an image that is a show stopper. Very hit and miss in this area though. I think this entire year I may have seen 5 good sunsets so far. The beaches have so much rock formations that if the clouds participate and the light is good, you can't help get a good image.

I think two years ago I shot the Trinidad coast everyday for a solid 60 days and only got a few keepers. This is one, and you can still see that the clouds are not the greatest and you can see the haze in the air too. I just tried to frame it compositionally so that the clouds were not the subject, but the rocks which were the result of a -6 low tide--which doesn't happen too often. Taken with my 5D:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:48:06 am by dwdallam »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up