Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up mail server for Z3100  (Read 2911 times)

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
Setting up mail server for Z3100
« on: June 24, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has succeeded in setting up the email server for the z3100, I would like to have the printer send me emails as to it's usage and whatever else it's programmed to send out.

I use a router connected to a wireless internet modem...run by Rogers internet, in Canada. How much info do I need to have from the service provider?

thanks!!!

Paul

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 03:07:19 am »

I don't know how many times I suggested or begged for some instructions for setting up a SMTP server remote or local to use this feature for novices. Never did I get a reply, nor did they include any documentation on this.

In theory your printer has to get through your firewall, through an open port (which port is used I don't know...) and forward to your ISPs SMTP server. If you are good at IT you could set up your own SMTP on local host. I tried but failed!

Come to think of it, HP could set up an SMTP server on the printer as it's op sys is Unix where open source SMTP servers are available. Strange how some of the most talented networking programmers in the industry are at HP yet they leave things done half way in this respect.

Good luck.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:29:03 am »

Gee, I thought it was just me.  I'm no networking genius, but have everything configured in a way that looks pretty straightforward to me and have never managed to make it work.  It is pretty standard stuff on HP's production printers.  On the Z3100, perhaps it is a bit like our appendix, that once served a purpose but now just takes up space.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 05:33:01 pm »

Gee, I thought it was just me.  I'm no networking genius, but have everything configured in a way that looks pretty straightforward to me and have never managed to make it work.  It is pretty standard stuff on HP's production printers.  On the Z3100, perhaps it is a bit like our appendix, that once served a purpose but now just takes up space.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203591\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Given this as the setup for email its a wonder anyone could get it to work.  It doesn't even allow you to enter a password for your SMTP email account.  Pretty dang lame.

[attachment=7224:attachment]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:33:37 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

peteh

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:14:46 pm »

Given this as the setup for email its a wonder anyone could get it to work.  It doesn't even allow you to enter a password for your SMTP email account.  Pretty dang lame.

[attachment=7224:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm on a Z3100ps GP,plugged in with USB on a Mac Pro running Windows XP Pro under bootcamp.....rediculous ,ehh !And how do you find a printers e mail address? I'm just a amature, never heard of a printers e mail address. I guess ,I have a lot to learn.And somehow I need to hook up to"Network" too?
The only NETWORK I have is a wireless modem/router connected with a port on the Apple ethernetport. HP told me over the phone,  that I could connect it with a reversed ethernet cable through my AT&T 2wire router/ modem.I think they were FOS....!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:27:28 pm by peteh »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:27:04 pm »

peteh-
I think you have a stronger headwind to fight than the rest of us if you have yours connected via USB and want the mail server feature.  As best I know, you need to have it networked through ethernet to utilize an IP address.  Unless someone chimes in and says that they have it all figured out and that there is a magic bullet we've all overlooked to make the email component work, I see nominal benefit to your switching network protocol, aside from a bit of speed gain.  I use an ethernet connection to send jobs to my printer and monitor it, but have found no value in IP printing.  Unless I missed something, I see no way to color manage correctly without printing through Photoshop or a RIP, which you are not able to do through the print server.
-Ron H.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:27:58 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:12:26 am »

Well, this thread is reassuring, but disappointing. Reassuriing in the sense that I am not an idiot, who can't figure it out, but disappointing that it doesn't work for anyone. I was hoping I could have the machine talk to me while I was away for an extended period. I don't have much of a social life, and I was hoping the printer might be my pen pal.

(sigh)

HP's web site is worse than hopeless presently. Networking of any description just doesn't seem to be their forté.

signed,
Paul from Montreal. Soon to be corresponding from Paris.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

To *send* a message, all SMTP requires is the sender's email address and the mail server's IP address - think about it, you don't need to know the recipent's "password" to *send* them a message . . . .  If you happen to have a mailserver on your local area network - pretty trivial to setup -  just setup a mailbox with the printer's name . . . There are plenty of free mailservers out there for windows or *nix, setting them up to communicate on the *internet*, or beyond your local area network, becomes a bit complicated:

1) You need a domain name - implying that there are DNS records pointing to specific IP address' corresponding to services your domain provides (WWW, FTP, Mail)
2) You need your Domain's MX (mail exchanger) record to point to your internal mailserver, or more accurately, your router's IP address.  This implies that you have a fixed IP address - usually an additional periodic charge from your ISP.
3) You need to configure your router to "forward" all IP traffic on TCP ports 25 and 110 to your internal mailserver's IP address.
4) You need to configure your internal mailserver to relay only messages originating from your internal local area network - allowing your mailserver to relay all traffic is sure to put your domain's on email blacklists.
5) In today's environment, you need to ensure that rDNS (reverse DNS) resolves to the same domain name as your mailserver - failing to do so will result in delays or rejection from large e-mail providers such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, etc.  

HP's networked printer products have supported monitoring and event reporting for years (via SNMP, different TCP ports but same idea) - it works great - but routing that information out of your network requires a bit of networking knowledge . . .

hth - John
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:08:39 am by Joh.Murray »

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:59:19 am »

. . . .  If you happen to have a mailserver on your local area network - pretty trivial to setup -  just setup a mailbox with the printer's name . . .
hth - John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203737\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, but I don't need another thing (a mail server) to admin on my computers.  I'd prefer if the printer behaved more like half of an email client - one that could send email.  That's not tough for HP to do either.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up