Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RETOUCHING AND POST SCHOOLS IN NYC  (Read 3696 times)

Studio12NYC

RETOUCHING AND POST SCHOOLS IN NYC
« on: June 23, 2008, 06:42:35 pm »

I FIGURED THIS WOUDL BE A GREAT PLACE TO ASK.

I don't have the time to go out of town to one of the school out of NYC.

Looking to take classes to expand my retouching skills.  I know very basic stuff and would like to expand my knowledge in retouching and post processing.  A week or two 8 hour a day course would be great.  Any one have any advice as to a school or teacher they have used in the city.

Not sure if SVA, Parsons, ICP, etc..

JR mentioned Sante Fe in another post but I have no time to be out of town for two to three weeks.

Most of my work goes through major retouchers, but I would prefer to start doing some of my stuff on my own.  Personal work and just so I can get a file where I want it in color and skin tone with out the help of an assistant or retoucher.  Ahh, the film days!  Such a novelty.

I don't want to learn to move heads, lips and eyes etc..  The super pros can burn their eye balls on that.

Thanks in advance.

James Godman

• http://www.godman.com
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:03 pm »

I suggest youtube given what you've said about not having time etc.  
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=ACEE27F331523446
James Godman
[url=http://www.godmanblog.

Studio12NYC

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:48:15 pm »

Thanks James,

But I will never make myself do it if it sits on you tube.  I would prefer a class environment with a few people to make it happen.

I have some of the best retouchers in the world that are my friends and that have worked on my files.  I have sat next to them countless times and still have yet to get it all.  Plus I hate slowing them down when I ask how they do something.

If I am paying a teacher, there are no stupid questions!

NO ONE ELSE CHIMING IN HERE?

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:25:28 pm »

edit
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:26:22 pm by jing q »

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:03:41 am by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 10:07:37 pm »

Thanks James,

But I will never make myself do it if it sits on you tube.  I would prefer a class environment with a few people to make it happen.

I have some of the best retouchers in the world that are my friends and that have worked on my files.  I have sat next to them countless times and still have yet to get it all.  Plus I hate slowing them down when I ask how they do something.

If I am paying a teacher, there are no stupid questions!

NO ONE ELSE CHIMING IN HERE?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203241\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well you didn't mention the level you were at, other than you outsource most of your post work, so it's a hard question to answer.  Probably somebody like  Katrin Eismann's classes or one one one will get you up to speed, then for fashion and beauty, perhaps hiring one of your retouchers for a primer.

JR

Snook

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:50 pm »

Well you didn't mention the level you were at, other than you outsource most of your post work, so it's a hard question to answer.  Probably somebody like  Katrin Eismann's classes or one one one will get you up to speed, then for fashion and beauty, perhaps hiring one of your retouchers for a primer.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I really think there is soooooo much free stuff out there that you can get..
I have been am still am always researching trying out new techniques etc...
I learned everything from the net and VTC's...
Then just hands on get;s your there..
It is and endless time consuming task but I like it when "I" want too.. otherwise everything goes out to retouchers or the advertising Agencies in house retouchers.
Or if you lucky do what James said and hire a retoucher for a while and try and learn that way also.
But some retouchers are wiery of that these days b/c they know some guys may be just trying to suck them dry and them ditch them which is not cool but happens..:+}
Check out Lynda/Software-Cinema videos and there a hand full of really good photoshop tutorial dvd's that are pretty good. Better than I think a lot of schooling would teach you and definitely faster course's...:+}
Photoshop Top secret I think it is is a pretty good one from what I have seen.
There is a lot of info out there...
I would not recommend Big schools like you mentioned but that is just my opinion of course.

There are only so many ways to skin a cat... there are a bunch of techniques and just getting hands on and trying those techniques is the best.
Snook

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:02:43 am »

I noticed that there are quite a lot of retouchers who come out of computer animation courses. You may want to take a look at that, I've seen some great photo-compositing related work come out of those areas

Snook

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:00:43 pm »

Keep an eye on 3D stuff...
That is what is going to bite us in the future..:+{
Snook

LumiWill

• http://
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:58:15 am »

I've taken Photoshop and other classes at ICP and FIT. I found the facility and atmosphere at ICP to be better but what I got out of the course really depended on the instructor. The 2 FIT instructors I had was really informative and taught tricks that I wouldn't have learn thru a book. ICP do offer crash courses for a weekend and FIT classes are for a full college semester. Hope that was helpful. As James mentioned before, Katrin Eismann will be a great instructor to learn from. She used to do more workshops/class, but I'm sure you can email her via SVA or her website for upcoming classes/one-in-one.

I FIGURED THIS WOUDL BE A GREAT PLACE TO ASK.

I don't have the time to go out of town to one of the school out of NYC.

Looking to take classes to expand my retouching skills.  I know very basic stuff and would like to expand my knowledge in retouching and post processing.  A week or two 8 hour a day course would be great.  Any one have any advice as to a school or teacher they have used in the city.

Not sure if SVA, Parsons, ICP, etc..

JR mentioned Sante Fe in another post but I have no time to be out of town for two to three weeks.

Most of my work goes through major retouchers, but I would prefer to start doing some of my stuff on my own.  Personal work and just so I can get a file where I want it in color and skin tone with out the help of an assistant or retoucher.  Ahh, the film days!  Such a novelty.

I don't want to learn to move heads, lips and eyes etc..  The super pros can burn their eye balls on that.

Thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up