Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metz 76 with Hasselblad H3DII  (Read 10367 times)

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Metz 76 with Hasselblad H3DII
« on: June 23, 2008, 01:00:55 pm »

I have tried two metz 76 mz-5 with two different SCA 3902 adapters and cannot get the flash to work in TTL mode on my H3DII-31.    The metz 54-4 works fine in all modes on my H3DII-31 and the metz 76 flash works in ETTL with my canon DSLRs.   The flash in TTL overexposes to the point that i get complete white out of the image. I cannot control the flash EV via the camera. In auto mode, the Metz 76 seems to do well  and I can control its output by dialing the EV up or down.  

I have tried TTL by shooting in A,M, or Pv modes-- same problem...substantial overexposure

I know folks who use the metz 70 with the H3DII without any TTL issues and as I stated the Metz 54 works well. Moreover, a Quantum t5D works in QTTL mode with their adapter even though they have told me that a new adapter for the H3DII is in the works.

I do not know of anything else I can try or test at this point. I finally got in touch with the USA Metz office and their technical folks have not heard of any problems but will contact the German Metz technical reps to see if they know more.  The Metz website is pretty dismal and not updated too often so hard to get any useful information there.

I am just wondering if anyone has used this flash camera combo. Thanks in advance.

MarkKay

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:12:49 pm »

I cannot believe no one has tried the Metz 76 with a Hasselblad H3D???

Anyway, I have had some exchanges with the Metz folks and they have admitted to me that have not tried the H3D cameras with the metz 76. Since Hasselblad advertises the use of Metz flashes with their cameras, they should somehow get together and test things out. It seems it would be beneficial to both companies.

I was basically told by Metz  that TTL mode should only be used in Film cameras because the CCD chips can reflect light in a strange manner that  will fool the flash.  I am not sure if this would be different with 31 vs 39 based on the microlens difference.

Quantum has been much easier to communicate with.  They stated they did try the H3D with their current qttl adapter (advertised for the Hasselblad H system) and that they detected some software differences in the H3D compared to the H2 that results in some incompatibilities.  Hasselblad has recently become responsive and  now supposed to work with them to design a new qttl cord.

I can get Qttl and A mode to work with the H3D but the controls are somewhat reversed.  THe Qttl adapter cord controls flash EV when the flash is in A mode--  but the camera controls EV when QTTL mode.

I am getting slightly better consistency with the metz 76 in A mode vs Quantum but not really definitive yet.  

Well seems like i am the only one who cares about this because most either do not use flash or use more extensive studio lighting..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:15:02 pm by MarkKay »

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:42:08 pm »

Hey guy,

Sorry to be off-topic but I did test a Metx 54 MZ-4i on a Leaf AFi7 using the Rollei SCA 3562 Flash Adapter. It worked freakin' awsome in TTL mode with total and complete flash exposure control. I'm still blown away! But of course you are right, pros don't use on-camera flash.

David

MarkKay

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:31:47 pm »

David.. My Metz 54 MZ-4i works perfectly on the H3DII in TTL or A mode.

Hey guy,

Sorry to be off-topic but I did test a Metx 54 MZ-4i on a Leaf AFi7 using the Rollei SCA 3562 Flash Adapter. It worked freakin' awsome in TTL mode with total and complete flash exposure control. I'm still blown away! But of course you are right, pros don't use on-camera flash.

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:21:42 am »

Well I use the 76-5 with a H3D
but I cannot help you much with TTL issues
as I have not received the Hasselblad connector yet
Will keep you posted with my findings
Sofar only used it in M mode up to now.
cheers
Marc

woof75

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:11:17 pm »

Well I use the 76-5 with a H3D
but I cannot help you much with TTL issues
as I have not received the Hasselblad connector yet
Will keep you posted with my findings
Sofar only used it in M mode up to now.
cheers
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203766\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pro's do use on camera flash, amateurs think that pros dont use on camera flash.
(also, I use a metz and find it works incredibly well 99 percent of the time in auto mode, TTL doesn't work with my mamiya)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:12:21 pm by woof75 »

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 08:14:27 pm »

Deleted
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:26:54 pm by H1/A75 Guy »

MarkKay

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 11:03:41 pm »

What did you say and t hen delete?

Deleted
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MarkKay

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:30:31 pm »

I found a used metz 70mz-5 and it works perfectly on the H3DII in TTL mode. I believe there is a flaw design in the metz 76 flash units.  If anyone can speak to the appropriate folks at Photokina I would be appreciative.

I cannot believe no one has tried the Metz 76 with a Hasselblad H3D???

Anyway, I have had some exchanges with the Metz folks and they have admitted to me that have not tried the H3D cameras with the metz 76. Since Hasselblad advertises the use of Metz flashes with their cameras, they should somehow get together and test things out. It seems it would be beneficial to both companies.

I was basically told by Metz  that TTL mode should only be used in Film cameras because the CCD chips can reflect light in a strange manner that  will fool the flash.  I am not sure if this would be different with 31 vs 39 based on the microlens difference.

Quantum has been much easier to communicate with.  They stated they did try the H3D with their current qttl adapter (advertised for the Hasselblad H system) and that they detected some software differences in the H3D compared to the H2 that results in some incompatibilities.  Hasselblad has recently become responsive and  now supposed to work with them to design a new qttl cord.

I can get Qttl and A mode to work with the H3D but the controls are somewhat reversed.  THe Qttl adapter cord controls flash EV when the flash is in A mode--  but the camera controls EV when QTTL mode.

I am getting slightly better consistency with the metz 76 in A mode vs Quantum but not really definitive yet.   

Well seems like i am the only one who cares about this because most either do not use flash or use more extensive studio lighting..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

donpaluh

• http://www.donpaluh.com
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 12:46:05 pm »

I purchased a Hasselblad H3DII earlier this year (2009). And in November, 2009 I purchased the Metz 76. I too am getting the severe over exposure when I try to use the TTL modes. I've read both manuals cover to cover, and I am certain I have everything set up correctly. I returned the flash, and I was getting ready to try purchasing another one when I decided to check online to see if this was a known issue. I am very surprised to see this has been going on for some time. Works OK in Auto mode. In a nutshell, I have had the exact same experience as MarkKay.
don paluh

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:05:08 am »

MarkKay - I am interested in this discussion and like you have used the MZ-4i successfully with the H-system (H1/H2/H3D) - but not the 76...my initial thought was the SCA adaptor not being fully seated on the hotshoe (or in the SCA slot on the 76)...but the OK in Auto mode killed that idea.

Maybe Paul Claesson can shed some light if he has experience with the Metz 76...

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

Nick_T

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46:25 pm »

Quote from: John.Williams
MarkKay - I am interested in this discussion and like you have used the MZ-4i successfully with the H-system (H1/H2/H3D) - but not the 76...my initial thought was the SCA adaptor not being fully seated on the hotshoe (or in the SCA slot on the 76)...but the OK in Auto mode killed that idea.

Maybe Paul Claesson can shed some light if he has experience with the Metz 76...

John

Guys there's been some discussion on this topic at the hasselblad forum which I haven't been following not being a metz user, you might want to check it out.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

donpaluh

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:19 pm »

I just wanted to give an update.

I contacted Bogen, the US distributor of Metz, and they answered that they do not handle the Hasselblad modules and have no information.

So I contacted Hasselblad, and they said it was probably caused by the module being slid too far into the module socket on the controller. I see this has also been mentioned in this thread.

This sounds like a distinct possibility as I thought the Metz module design, and particularly this connection was pretty flimsy.

I have already sent my unit back to B&H as I didn't want to get stuck with a bad unit. But now that I think it is workable, I will re-order it and give a full report. Probably after the holidays.
don paluh

MarkKay

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:17 pm »

I missed that this thread was "re-activated" .  ANyway, my problem ended up being some problem with the viewfinder.  I got a replacement --- refurbished viewfinder and the metz 76 works quite well.  To be honest, I tend to use my metz 54 more often but on occasion take out the metz 76. The TTL, auto, and of course manual controls work well. I can control the flash output from the camera menu.  

Quote from: donpaluh
I just wanted to give an update.

I contacted Bogen, the US distributor of Metz, and they answered that they do not handle the Hasselblad modules and have no information.

So I contacted Hasselblad, and they said it was probably caused by the module being slid too far into the module socket on the controller. I see this has also been mentioned in this thread.

This sounds like a distinct possibility as I thought the Metz module design, and particularly this connection was pretty flimsy.

I have already sent my unit back to B&H as I didn't want to get stuck with a bad unit. But now that I think it is workable, I will re-order it and give a full report. Probably after the holidays.

donpaluh

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 04:39:11 am »

Another Update:

I purchased a new 76MZ-5 and a new SCA 3902 module. I have the exact same problem: it has the same severe overexposure when using TTL in any mode. It seems to be communicating with the camera OK in that the Metz control module displays the correct f-stops etc.

I want to add that the first SCA 3902 was very difficult to remove from the hot shoe and this one is even worse. It feels like I am ripping the viewfinder off the camera when I try to remove it. So to prevent damage, I have been removing the viewfinder as well as the Metz module to remove the SCA 3902.

I'll contact Hasselblad tech support again.
don paluh

MarkKay

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 12:08:37 am »

This was exactly the same problem I had.  I tried multiple SCA 3902.  I had my flash shoe fixed but that did not fix the same problem of TTL severe overexposure regardless of camera mode or flash compensation setting.  It is your viewfinder.

Quote from: donpaluh
Another Update:

I purchased a new 76MZ-5 and a new SCA 3902 module. I have the exact same problem: it has the same severe overexposure when using TTL in any mode. It seems to be communicating with the camera OK in that the Metz control module displays the correct f-stops etc.

I want to add that the first SCA 3902 was very difficult to remove from the hot shoe and this one is even worse. It feels like I am ripping the viewfinder off the camera when I try to remove it. So to prevent damage, I have been removing the viewfinder as well as the Metz module to remove the SCA 3902.

I'll contact Hasselblad tech support again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up