Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tallest tripod?  (Read 5268 times)

lightstand

tallest tripod?
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:23:45 am »

My large tripod got stolen & therefore I need to replace it for times when I need a higher elevated view. I know that the 3058 is Bogen's tall tripod at 8'5" (105"). Does anyone know of a taller tripod? Thanks all for any insights, links, & or leads. Jeff

Hank

tallest tripod?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:09:26 am »

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure this will work for you, but when I need lots of height I mount my ballhead on a Bogen Super Clamp and attach that to the top of a stepladder.  For very long exposures a second stepladder to stand on or a long cable release are mandatory, but the setup is suprisingly stable.  On shoots within driving distance of home I always keep a 10' stepladder in the back of my pickup.  I set it up on the ground or more often tie it into place in the bed for a total height of 14'.  I even make short drives with the ladder erected and tied into place.  Watch out for low bridges, however!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:10:13 am by Hank »

lightstand

tallest tripod?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:54:42 am »

Hey Hank Thanks for the suggestion, I just saw that Little Giant has a 21" ladder, might just need a longer Firewire cable. Jeff

Hank

tallest tripod?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:20:06 am »

I just noticed your "architecture and interior" tag, Jeff.  

In our experience you'll love the stepladder rig rather than a tall tripod for that kind of work.  The steps allow you to eliminate the short stepladder you almost certainly carry along with a tall tripod for interior work.  Eliminating that extra piece of gear not only simplifies loading and lugging for shoots, it also lets you work in corners and other tight spots with a lot less hassle.  Kinda handy to have the longer ladder on hand for rigging light, too.

Here's a fine tuning hint:  It's a lot more stable to mount your ballhead on the very top of the ladder rather than that shakey little fold-down shelf intended for paint cans.  With the Super Clamp you can also mount your camera anywhere along the length of the ladder, as well as the top, so it's feasible to shoot several POV's in the same location.

I also like lots of height for exteriors, allowing me to frame to include a higher perspective of attractive landscaping.  Lots of leading lines and shapes to attractively augment views of buildings.  On industrial jobs I frequently shoot from "man lifts" or personnel hoists. One site I shoot regularly has a 60' Condor lift, and it's so handy I wish I could afford my own.  You can clamp the Super Clamp to the safety railing for rigid support and long exposures without a tripod.

Paul Kay

• http://
tallest tripod?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 05:53:41 am »

Gitzos are what they describe as 'systemic' and you can add leg sections together - although expensive new, the older types can be bought relatively cheaply (especially the aluminium versions) and by breaking up several tripods you can get substantial heights by simply adding diminishing diameter leg sections - my own (a hybrid CF/alu made up of 3 different original tripods - the 'spare' bits have been used to build up smaller tripods too) currently has 6 sections and a centre column and reaches something around 9 feet in height if fully extended - its still stable and handles a 1D series Canon happily enough. You'd need to research the tripods to buy and figure out the leg section lengths but if you do so over a period its neither too expensive nor too difficult to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up