Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back for 553ELX  (Read 10799 times)

Analog6

Digital back for 553ELX
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:32:57 am »

I have recently splurged out and bought myself on of these.  Down the track a bit (depending on $$$) I want to fit a digital back.

Would I be best going with Hasselblad digital backs for the V series of cameras? I realise the situation changes all the time but I'd like to have the thoughts of those of you with experience using Hasselblads with digital backs fitted.

I like to shoot landscapes, nature and other mostly outdoor pursuits.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 12:33:44 am by Analog6 »

RobertJ

Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 01:31:36 am »

You don't have to buy a Hasselblad digital back.

The good news is that you have a camera that's kind of considered the "universal mount."

That means you can choose from, and should look at and research, backs from Phase One, Leaf, and Sinar.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:43:50 am »

It depends.

You can take any DB that has a V mount but you have to use a sync cable from lens to back. Some think this is no problem, I prefer to do without one.

When you do not want to use a sync cable you should get a CFV (Hasselblad back, square 16MP).

When you have a 555ELD you also could use a Hasselblad CF back (CF22 or CF39) with the ELD adapter and use it without sync cable.

This is how I remember, if I am mistaken please anyone correct me where I go wrong.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:44:05 am by Dustbak »

Studio12NYC

Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

Great Camera!

Used the P25 on it.  The other backs are difficult because of the battery situation.

The phase backs are great with it and the 40mm CFi is a spectacular lens.

The cable is a bit of a drag, but just make sure you buy three sync cables and always keep them in your bag with you.  One will go and make sure you put some tape on them and number them 1-3 and always use them in order.  If 1 goes then you'll know.

Best of luck!

j.miller

Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:01:21 pm »

If I understand it, to remove the battery from a P-Series back, while it is mounted a Hasselblad 553ELX, you will have to remove the entire back from the camera. To allow the removal of the Li-Ion battery on a P-Series back, you need to slide the battery down, below the back. In the case of the 553ELX, the integrated motor-drive is obstructing this.

Both Hasselblad and Leaf provide an adapter for the battery, which allows it to be removed without removing the digital back. The integrated motor-drive of the 553ELX makes creates a bit of challenge for some backs that require a snap-on Li-Ion battery.

Now bear in mind, when you are shooting tethered, most all of the backs will be drawing their power from the FireWire bus on the computer.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Great Camera!

Used the P25 on it.  The other backs are difficult because of the battery situation.

The phase backs are great with it and the 40mm CFi is a spectacular lens.

The cable is a bit of a drag, but just make sure you buy three sync cables and always keep them in your bag with you.  One will go and make sure you put some tape on them and number them 1-3 and always use them in order.  If 1 goes then you'll know.

Best of luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:05:40 am by JEM_DTG »

Graham Mitchell

Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 01:49:50 pm »

Great Camera!

Used the P25 on it.  The other backs are difficult because of the battery situation.

There is no problem with the Sinar backs, which use an internal rechargeable battery.

Analog6

Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 08:23:05 pm »

Thanks for the replies, folks.

So can the CFV be used 'untehthered' - out in the field?  And ditto the others?  That would be my main area of interest.

And anyone have any idea what sort of price a CFV back would be?  

What brand is the P25?

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:45 pm »

CFV does not require a cable to my knowledge. It shoots to cf cards and can run off a battery, no need for tethered operation in field. they run $7000-$8000

j.miller

Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 08:56:02 pm »

Analog6,
       The CFV and CFVII backs can certainly be used "untethered". These backs use a snap-on Sony L-Type Li-Ion battery, and shoot to a CF card. The CFV and CFVII ship with the necessary 90-degree battery adapter to allow complete, untethered operation on bodies like 553ELX. This adapter allows you swap the batteries without having to remove the digital back (as described above). These backs were designed specifically for the Hasselblad V-Series cameras, therefore they interface very well with a camera like the 553ELX, without the need for a sync cord coming from the lens.

Bear in mind, Hasselblad's CF-Series back can also be used with the 553ELX bodies. The backs incorporate an interchangeable mount system that allows them to be configured to multiple camera system, including the Hasselblad V-Series bodies. These back are available in both 22MP and 39MP resolutions, and are rectangular in format.

Leaf also has the Aptus and Aptus S series backs that are available in "Universal Mount" for use o the Hasselblad V-Series bodies. The Aptus generation of backs will require the use of sync cord from the lens for proper operation. The backs are also rectangular in format.

The original CFV is currently available for under $8,995. The new CFVII, which uses the same 16MP sensor, yet incorporates a new IR filter, and a larger 2.5" TFT screen, is currently available for $9,995.

The P25 and P25+ are PhaseOne products.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Thanks for the replies, folks.

So can the CFV be used 'untehthered' - out in the field?  And ditto the others?  That would be my main area of interest.

And anyone have any idea what sort of price a CFV back would be?  

What brand is the P25?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203239\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:05:54 am by JEM_DTG »

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:58:12 am »

I have recently splurged out and bought myself on of these.  Down the track a bit (depending on $$$) I want to fit a digital back.

Would I be best going with Hasselblad digital backs for the V series of cameras? I realise the situation changes all the time but I'd like to have the thoughts of those of you with experience using Hasselblads with digital backs fitted.

I like to shoot landscapes, nature and other mostly outdoor pursuits.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202958\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using an older 132c 22mp Imacon/Hasselblad back on my ELX, the combination works very well, I bought another ELX as a spare. The back attaches via cable between back and camera motor drive. I have had no issues other than the camera shoots a little faster than the back sometimes, and at slower speeds like 1-4 seconds it pays to use mirror lock up( it pays to use it to 125th second anyway) .
It did take a bit of fiddling around with spacers to tune the back to the camera, but once done the results are superb. I have a bunch of older CF lenses and one CFi lens and all perform extremely well.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Digital back for 553ELX
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:24:53 am »

I don't understand what "battery situation" could make it "difficult" for a Sinarback as compared to a Phase One?:

The eMotion backs do feature an internal battery which can be easily accessed/replaced in 5 seconds by opening a side-door on the back, without having to take the back away from the camera.

Best regards,
Thierry

The other backs are difficult because of the battery situation.
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up