Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frames with springs and clips  (Read 3059 times)

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Frames with springs and clips
« on: June 22, 2008, 06:05:41 pm »

I was in the Vistek store in... the north west part of Toronto (west of the Airport, Mississauga?) and they have this small gallery when you walk in the front entrance.

The "frames" are small plastic or metal square tubes (1cm or less square) with springs extending from the four corners at a 45 deg angle ending in clear plastic clips that grip the corners of the print. The print is basically suspended in the frame. They had tracks that allowed them to be suspended from wires.

I asked at the counter there, but they had no idea. She said they came from (George Brown?) College that way.

Anyone have any idea what they are called and perhaps a source?

Thanks

framah

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:21:58 am »

OK... not quite sure based on your description but here goes:  
There is one called Uni- Frame Aluminum clips. From  the front, you see a small piece of metal catching the corners and it is all held together in the back with string and a spring. Not the best out there.

The next type is a crappy plastic type that shows a plastic piece catching the corners and string in the back. The worst!

The best out I have found is called Swiss Clips. Stainless steel and brass.  You see a tiny amount of metal in the front, maybe 1/8" square and tied together in the back. They also make a clip to be placed along the side of long pieces to keep the package from bowing out. Most of these systems will allow up to 30x30  +- but you have to remember that the larger you go, as you pull it tight in the back,  it will tend to bow a bit and using plexi instead of glass will exacerbate the problem.
Most all framers can get what you need.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:14:40 pm »

I'd never heard of 'Swiss Clips' so I had a quick look for them.  Came across the following:

http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread.php?t=17612

I was one of the first importers of "Swiss Clips" back in the 70's and my experience tells me to sell them a frame instead! They are dangerous! The mat or backing will always buckle. They don't protect against dust or critters. They will look terrible in just a couple of years. They are UNPROFESSIONAL!

If they insist - only do them with acrylic because of the liability of breakage. If you're going for the string type, hang them by D-rings in the backing board - not by the string system. Too much bowing pressure on the glazing.

My own humble (HA) opinion.

Greg Fremstad
Frame Tek, Inc.

We sold Uni Frames for years. We have stopped selling them. We have had several failers with the plastic. Too dangerous and not worth the liability.
We will sell the Swiss Clips on small items..... if and only if they beg......

FWIW,

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

framah

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 05:43:49 pm »

You will also notice that pretty much everyone posting in there had their own opinion about one clip or another. Of course, framing is the best thing for the art.. but that isn't what was asked. J D Clements only asked if anyone knew about this system. Thus my response. I feel that Gregs response is not typical of most framers out there.  

They DO NOT always buckle if they are done right unless you use plexi.  Of course they don't protect from dust and critters!! They are temporary!! They are usually used for a show just to get them up and a buyer will usually have it framed properly later.  Actually, I have had some come back in  a few years later and they looked just fine with no dust or critters in them. Pretty much all of Gregs comments about the short comings will happen if they are used on a piece too large for the system.  16x20 is pretty much as large as I will go.

Also, you do realize that thread was from 2003?? A long time ago.

Take whatever info you need and leave the rest.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:31:48 pm »

Thanks guys, but I guess I didn't describe it very well. Basically, the print is just hanging there, suspended, with nothing behind it and nothing in front of it. (Like a pelt on a stretcher, if that helps at all.)

It wouldn't be for permanent display, but rather for a rotating display of prints.

I'll try to sketch out a picture and upload it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up