Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MerginX Sliding back with Toyo VX23D  (Read 3154 times)

jing q

• we are super
MerginX Sliding back with Toyo VX23D
« on: June 22, 2008, 03:22:13 pm »

Just thought I'd share abit on my experience with this sliding back
I bought this sliding back for my new Toyo VX23D, since Toyo had yet to make any sliding back for the camera.

firstly, my sliding back came in a very nice black softcase, which came in a black box.

the sliding back uses a drop-in plate system that allows easy changing from horizontal to vertical positioning of the digital back. It also allows change of mount. The plate stays on securely and the screws are easily adjustable to tighten them.
My AFd plate was about US$150

The sliding back has numerous colored dots to note where the back should line up when  you intend to take a few photos shifted together.
There's a handle (the cyan knob) that hooks onto a catch. These catches are positioned according to the colored dots.

The sliding back has 6 screwholes on the back where you choose a plate to adapt to your camera system. As the Toyo uses a 2x3 Graflock system, I got the appropriate plate. Screwing it in was a breeze. I attached some white tape on the edges of the adapter plate to ensure a more secure fit.  The adapter plates are very reasonably priced too, about $180 or so.

I use a loupe to focus on the image however there's a reflex viewer that I ordered that has yet to come. Will report on that when I receive it next week hopefully
The groundglass is not as bright as my Silvestri sliding back, but there's no problem focusing with it outdoors. Lots of framing lines in the groundglass to let you know exact measurements for your stitched image.

I found that using a sliding back makes stitching my images together much more accurate than shifting my lens (images seem more in alignment than if I stitch images through shifting the lens). Below is an image taken with a 150mm Nikkor F/5.6, three images stitched together and manually joined in Photoshop CS3

One nice touch is the addition of a coldshoe mount which allows me to attach a pocketwizard easily.just a small touch.

Unfortunately I have not been able to use this camera as much as I had hoped to and am now looking to sell off both the camera and the sliding back.

The Toyo VX23D is able to use most lenses (it works fine with my Rodenstock 35mm HR) and has full movements

If anyone is interested do drop me a PM,  I'll be in new york the week after.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 03:32:58 pm by jing q »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 04:00:03 pm »

Nice. How much is the sliding back itself?
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:37:23 pm »

Nice. How much is the sliding back itself?

As far as I can tell Jack, it comes to about $1,860 US, based on this web site:

http://www.nexor.hk/v1/store.php?lang=en&b...&p=merginx_0101Nexor

Best,
Michael
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:37:50 pm by mmurph »
Pages: [1]   Go Up