Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newfoundland  (Read 7281 times)

cblesch

Newfoundland
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:23:35 pm »

Just saw Michael's short note that he's back from Newfoundland, and will have a gallery up in a week or two.

I've always wanted to go there. Newfoundland and PEI are, in fact, the only Canadian provinces I haven't visited. Was hoping to add Nfld. to my Nova Scotia trip many years ago, but ran out of time and money.

Beyond whatever Michael shares with us, I would welcome anyone else's ideas on what to see or shoot there.

Carl

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:25:34 pm »

I would welcome anyone else's ideas on what to see or shoot there.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pretty much anything, anywhere. The province is varied and full of incredible scenery. St. John's alone is worth the trip. I traveled the province from one side to the other, across the top, last summer including St. John's, the Avalon Peninsula, Bonavista, Trinity, Twillingate, and finally the incredible Gros Morne on the west side.

I didn't make it up to the north-western tip where the viking settlements are, or along the bottom, where you need to go from port to port by ferry. I also avoided most of the centre, which is muskeg but with photo ops of its own.

Click [a href=\"http://www.clements.on.ca/content/view/755/1/]here[/url] for a map of the areas I visited and a link to the photo albums.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Newfoundland
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:20:06 am »

I've been there twice, the last time just last week at the same time as MR, by coincidence.

As the previous poster wrote, just about anywhere, anytime, but be prepared for interesting weather. The only strong sun we had last week was in Trinity on Thursday and then in mid-afternoon the fog rolled in in under 15 minutes. Amazing to watch, really.

First thing is that the place is big and because of the large numbers of small towns, travelling is leisurely. You cannot rely on being able to average 100+ kph on the highways, more like 70 kph for estimation purposes. Unless you plan to spend a month there, I'd advise on limiting each visit to one corner of the place or you'll just end up driving too much. But do not miss Gros Morne National Park on the west coast. A friend described Wester Brook Pond (freshwater fyord) as the place where god practiced before making Eden. The northern peninsula Bonavista and Twillingate are good places to see icebergs (season just about ending right now). The bird sanctuary at Cape St. Marys is a must visit.

What might surprise you about the place is that its history goes back very far, and was at one point a huge economic piece of the British Empire. The city of St. John's is worth a trip all on its own; beautiful place, but you have to walk it.

The Newfoundland government tourism site is very useful and guide books and maps can be requested for free. They are good quality and worth having.

The place is rugged, remote, the food is good, and gas stations can be few and far between depending on where you are.
--
Robert

ruraltrekker

Newfoundland
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:17:29 pm »

I was there 15 months ago. Much given already is very good advice. It does take a while to get to the good places, especially along the coastal areas, because the roads twist & turn. On my trip I was just able to do the coast of the Avalon Pen. - basically half of the Irish Loop. Ferryland light is a beautiful spot and if you really want to go remote go to Cape Race.

As has been said weather changes in a minute but I believe that July & August are the more "weather calm" months. And it is a huge place, so don't get too greedy in thinking you can do it all - like trying to shoot Avalon & Gros Morne in the same trip - you just will not be able to get the iconics if you try this - kinda like old Ansel trying to shoot Death Valley & Yosemite in 10 days - yeah, right.

In the 5 days I was there I may have scouted 20-25% of the time and then shot what I could physically pull off. I got some great stuff and my way of working did it's thing - you may do it differently. But in that time I really only worked from the very top of Avalon to the very bottom on the eastern shore - never got to the southwest not the northwest of that region - though I wish I could have.

All I can say is I would go back in a minute, regardless of season - a truely amazing place - and the people are some of the best I have found on this planet.

Ken

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Newfoundland
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:08:37 am »

I have some shots from my recent trip   here.
--
Robert

terryadey

• http://www.terryadey.com/
Newfoundland
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:21:48 pm »

Hi everyone,

I'm a landscape photographer from Newfoundland.

For those interested in visiting, I can give some advice.

The Newfoundland coastline is similar to the Dorset and Devon coasts in England. Rocky escarpments and jagged cliffs abound, icebergs are seen typically from April to late June, whales are plentiful from July to Autumn.

Weather is unpredictable but can create some amazing photo opportunities since the weather is always "clearing".

Prime locations that come to mind as being striking are:

Twillingate, Fogo and Change Islands
Bonavista and Trinity
St. John's and Cape Spear
Gros Morne

A photo opportunity to capture a disappearing way of life also presents itself.
The outport fishermen's culture with frail stages and wharfs are still there but quickly disapearing. A sign of the times...

You can view some of my Newfoundland work at:

http://terryadey.com/gallery/recent-work/
http://www.terryadey.com/index.gallery.php

If anyone decides to come to Newfoundland and visit St. John's or the Twillingate areas please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to show you around.

Cheers,
Terry Adey

martin archer-shee

Newfoundland
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:04:15 pm »

Terryadey

How could you forget the Burin ? Yes it is a long trip off the Trans Canada but well worth it. Of course if one wishes to go to France there is the trip to St Pierre. Lots of people do not realise that there is a part of France just off the coast of Newfoundland. Mind you the trip around the Burin alone can be a beauty.

Love all of NF.

Cheers
Martin

PS A trip down to Marystown (Burin) can be absolute hell in mid winter. But also so beautiful. It looks like you are on a lunar lanscape. Then suddenly you are in the town of Marystown. Done it many times and always loved it.

Martin

postscript:

Add Trinity to the trip......
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:05:51 pm by Martin Archer-Shee »

sabatia

Newfoundland
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:52:12 pm »

Gros Morne to the Viking National Park in Lanse aux Meadows provide the most extensive and spectacular and interesting coastal drive/walking/hiking on the Atlantic Seaboard north of the Isthmus of Panama. It is like the scenery along the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton or Acadia National Park multipled by a factor of at least fifty. Gros Morne is the World Heritage site for Plate Tectonics and Lanse aux Meadows is also a World Heritage site, the first confirmed footprint of Europe in the Western Hemisphere. The Strait of Belle Isle at the top of the Great Northern Peninsula is as wild, barren and beautiful as just about any place on the planet. The villages are home to an archaic English fishing peoples who are closer to speaking their own language than even the Quebecers, and ancient Native American Indian and Eskimo sites and very early European use abound, including another National Park dedicated to the secret Basque whaling station of the early 1500s.

There are so many moose, that if moose drops were a fuel, the Great Northern Peninsula would be Saudi Arabia. In the right places, you are sure to see caribou. Bald eagles,  short-eared owls, rough-legged hawks and a myriad of other birds are found as are whales. There is also an extraordinary Ecological Reserve with more than 30 rare plant species. Orchid, of course are everywhere.

Highly recommended. Gros Morne and then North--the finest coastal region between Patagonia and the Arctic.

Rusty Jackson

• http://www.terra360.com
Newfoundland
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:31:11 am »

Highly recommended. Gros Morne and then North--the finest coastal region between Patagonia and the Arctic.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206316\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Can't wait.... I'm going to St Johns on Aug. 13th.  Thanks for all the tips on what to see, I'll be circling the island.

Terry I'll send you a note privately.

Cheers, Rusty

______________________________ Rice R.

trainzman

Newfoundland
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:46:42 pm »

I'm in the process of planning next year's vacation and Newfoundland, especially the area from Gros Morne to L'Anse aux Meadows, is looking very attractive. Would two weeks in July or August be enough time?

From reading the National Park website, there appear to be several interesting hiking trails in Gros Morne that would be worth investigating.

The road north to L'Anse aux Meadows also seems to be dotted with picture opportunities. Any must sees on the way?

Would advance reservations be wise or could the two of us take a chance on finding a place to stay every night? Nothing fancy is required. We like to stay or go on as the mood moves us so reservations are not always easy to plan.

The scenery in the pictures from the area shown in previous messages is spectacular. Looks like every on of my lenses will get a workout. From the descriptions of wind conditions, it sounds like a tripod would be a good idea too. The clouds and fog sound like a the light will often be soft and diffuse.

sabatia

Newfoundland
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 01:57:13 pm »

Suggestions for Gros Morne to Lanse aux Meadows: This region of Newf is covered by the Viking Trail. The local tourism association has a good web site and publishes a free guide to just this region: www.vikingtrail.org  The road runs along or near the coast and there are many peninsulas along the way with tiny fishing villages to explore.

Two weeks is just the right amount of time. Having been there more than a dozen times, you can almost always find a place to stay without reservations. The Newfoundland Tourist Guide(www.newfoundlandlabrador.com) includes almost all the motels, cabins, and b&bs and also a terrific free road map.

Three more things in addition to those already noted above:
1. Port aux Choix National Historic Park--halfway from Gros Morne to Lanse aux Meadows is an extraordinary Native American site.

2. Labrador: Take the hour-long ferry from St. Barbe to Labrador across the Strait of Belle Isle--reservations can be made the day you plan to go. The south coast of Labrador has a paved road, spectular scenery--especially Pt. Amour lighthouse and the Point Amour Native American burial site, ending up in Red Bay, site of an extraordinary National Historic Park dedicated to the secret Basque whaling station from the 1500s. Definately worth one overnight stay.

3. Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve--not far from Lanse aux Meadows, Burnt Cape is a gorgeous limestone peninsula with large sea caves and more than thirty varieties of rare plants, including a one site endemic and numerous arctic species. The tour guides are devoted locals and just listening to them talk is a joy.

Also: Gros Morne has some of the most spectacular day hiking and backpacking trails in Eastern North America. There are also some of the most beautiful car camping sites as well--I love the Green Point campground as you set up your tent right beside the ocean.

Rusty Jackson

• http://www.terra360.com
Newfoundland
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 06:26:07 pm »

I think Michael R.'s technique of a home rental would be better for me next time and do some scouting out from there.  I returned 10 days ago from my cruise trip that started out in St. John's and it was more/less a delightful time, albeit too fast.  Traveling on a ship with a lot of non-photographers only gave a quick overview.  Many thanks go to Terry Adey whom I met via this forum, who along with his wife Debbie was most gracious hosts for a few days to us in St. John's.  I hope to get back up his way next summer for a visit.  Meanwhile here are some images and little story of my quick journey:

http://www.terra360.com

The whales were amazing off Cape Spear.  Attached is a sunrise off Norris Point in Gros Morne National Park.

Cheers, Rusty

______________________________ Rice R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up