Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider Longar & Rollei Apogon 1.4x TCs  (Read 8238 times)

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Schneider Longar & Rollei Apogon 1.4x TCs
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:28:48 am »

I recently bought a new Rollei 1.4x Longar from B&H and it came, shrink-wrapped in a box labelled Longar, with a brochure labelled Longar, but the actual optic is labled Apogon.

Instead of "Schneider-Kreuznach AF-Longar 1.4x HFT System Rolleiflex 6000 Made in Germany", mine says "Rollei AF-Apogon Converter 1.4x HFT System 6000 Made in Germany".

Everything seems legitimate--the serial number of the unit matches the Test Certificate stamped by Rollei, etc., so I'm not concerned about any foul play--I'm more interested in the optical formula and performance of an Apogon vs. a Longar.

My research so far has revealed that the Longar is, in fact, a Schneider brand, and that the Longar was designed by Schneider specifically to integrate with the optics of the Xenotar 80/2.0, Tele-Xenar 180/2.8 and Apo-Tele-Xenar 300/4 (although it works with other lenses as well).

I cannot find any information on the Apogon 1.4x TC. It is a Rollei brand, and that's about all I know.

Can anyone shed some light on the Apogon 1.4x TC's optical formula, design, and/or history?

Much appreciated,
Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

yaya

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:56:50 am »

I recently bought a new Rollei 1.4x Longar from B&H and it came, shrink-wrapped in a box labelled Longar, with a brochure labelled Longar, but the actual optic is labled Apogon.

Instead of "Schneider-Kreuznach AF-Longar 1.4x HFT System Rolleiflex 6000 Made in Germany", mine says "Rollei AF-Apogon Converter 1.4x HFT System 6000 Made in Germany".

Everything seems legitimate--the serial number of the unit matches the Test Certificate stamped by Rollei, etc., so I'm not concerned about any foul play--I'm more interested in the optical formula and performance of an Apogon vs. a Longar.

My research so far has revealed that the Longar is, in fact, a Schneider brand, and that the Longar was designed by Schneider specifically to integrate with the optics of the Xenotar 80/2.0, Tele-Xenar 180/2.8 and Apo-Tele-Xenar 300/4 (although it works with other lenses as well).

I cannot find any information on the Apogon 1.4x TC. It is a Rollei brand, and that's about all I know.

Can anyone shed some light on the Apogon 1.4x TC's optical formula, design, and/or history?

Much appreciated,
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brad hi,

My demo unit is the same as yours and is branded Rollei Apogon. AFAIK it carries the same formula and is made and assembled in the same room at F&H where the Longar used to be made.

So far I've tested it with the 80/2.8 AF-D and with the 180/2.8 AF-D and other than loosing a stop I cannot see any loss of image quality whatsoever.

Hope this helps

Yair

FrançoisTT

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:18:50 am »

Do you know if this Rollei 1,4x works well with the 4,5/55mm PCS-Super-Angulon lenses ? (for digital works).

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:45:04 am »

I have both and I'll give it a try!
However I know that Eric W Hiss has tried the combo and it works nicely.
Regards,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

bradleygibson

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:18:17 am »

Thank you for the feedback, guys.

Glad to hear I'm not alone!

I'm sure it will work well.  I suppose I am just surprised--the Apogon isn't what I thought I was buying, and I'd like to know if it's the same or a different optical formula...  I've sent a question off to F&H to see if they can tell me what this is.

François, unfortunately, I don't have a 55PCS, so I cannot say for sure.  (Anyone wishing to donate a 55PCS to the cause, let me know!)

It does seem to fit properly on the 60/3.5 Curtagon, but perhaps Eric can weigh in on compatibility with the 55.

Take care,
Brad
-Brad

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:36:30 pm »

Yes the 1.4 X works with the 55mm PCS - I just haven't done enough shifts and big tilts to comment on image quality with the 1.4 fitted.   Certainly works fine with small movements or amount of tilt. Also important to note -  I am using this with the 6008 AF / p20 combination which has the 1.5 crop factor - so I can't report what this looks like out to the edges.   But looks good from what I can see.

I have been using the 55mm PCS for macro work with extension tubes and this also works well with full tilt. The attached file was taken with 17mm tube (not sure how much tilt). btw- the shot doesn't show the true merits of the lens as it was taken handheld with a bit of wind - but the lens is very sharp and it has nice color and bokeh.  Since I've been playing with it a bit to figure out what it can do, I'll try and post some with the 1.4x and some with tilt.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:28:56 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

FrançoisTT

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:17:04 pm »

Thank you for yours advices & feedback with the 55mm PCS.
Regards, François.

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

Thank you for the feedback, guys.

Glad to hear I'm not alone!

I'm sure it will work well.  I suppose I am just surprised--the Apogon isn't what I thought I was buying, and I'd like to know if it's the same or a different optical formula...  I've sent a question off to F&H to see if they can tell me what this is.

François, unfortunately, I don't have a 55PCS, so I cannot say for sure.  (Anyone wishing to donate a 55PCS to the cause, let me know!)

It does seem to fit properly on the 60/3.5 Curtagon, but perhaps Eric can weigh in on compatibility with the 55.

Take care,
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use the older(?) longar 1.4x so I would like to hear if the apogon is new and improved over the one I have.. I use mostly on the 80 f2 xenotar and can't see any diff in quality..
not sure why you would try on a 60mm?? just assumed most have something in the 80 range..with a wider aperture. with the 80f2 it really gives me something different from my 90apo.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:38:52 pm by paulmoorestudio »

bradleygibson

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 11:59:23 am »

I use it on the 60 because I use my gear in alpine environments, where weight is of the essence.  As such I typically bring only two lenses when mountaineering--60 and 150, ideally--or the 180, if I feel like I need to punish myself .  I use the 1.4x TC to create "four" lenses.  The 80 isn't wide enough on its own.

Take care,
-Brad

I use the older(?) longar 1.4x so I would like to hear if the apogon is new and improved over the one I have.. I use mostly on the 80 f2 xenotar and can't see any diff in quality..
not sure why you would try on a 60mm?? just assumed most have something in the 80 range..with a wider aperture. with the 80f2 it really gives me something different from my 90apo.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:00:05 pm by bradleygibson »
-Brad

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 03:06:26 pm »

That probably would be a good combo - and both have the Bay IV filter mount so you could share filters or even the compendium.  If you bring the 180 then you'll need another set.    

So far I've never used the 1.4x with the 150 but have a number of times with the 180 and its nice.
Here's a shot with that combination taken handheld.  

[attachment=7149:attachment]

I haven't yet experimented with the 1.4 and 60mm curtagon but probably will soon - really love the curtagon.  Got to thank Geoff for posting about that on photo.net - something like "sleeping with it under his pillow" that made me want to try it out and it is indeed a great lens.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:11:30 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 08:15:46 am »

I haven't yet experimented with the 1.4 and 60mm curtagon but probably will soon - really love the curtagon.  Got to thank Geoff for posting about that on photo.net - something like "sleeping with it under his pillow" that made me want to try it out and it is indeed a great lens.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric -
You are welcome. Sometimes those Schneider lenses just "pop", have a view and a look to them and you can't let them go. I held a 180 2.8 the other week, and wow - just seemed to have that same sense to it. A lense that just fit what I was seeing. The 150 Xenar was a good lens, but not the same. So its now keeping the 60 mm company.

On another post, someone mentioned that the Schneider lenses had a certain look to them, distinctive. Anyone want to comment?

Geoff
Geoff

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 01:21:23 pm »

I use it on the 60 because I use my gear in alpine environments, where weight is of the essence.  As such I typically bring only two lenses when mountaineering--60 and 150, ideally--or the 180, if I feel like I need to punish myself .  I use the 1.4x TC to create "four" lenses.  The 80 isn't wide enough on its own.

Take care,
-Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hadn't considered the wt factor.. but you are right of course.. just shows you that just because you do things a certain way doesn't make it right for all.. I will keep this in mind when I take the lenses afield and will try the 60 with the 1.4x..  80f2 is heavy and could be left at home.but I think I would still opt for taking the 90apo.. tough to leave that behind.
I think there is a look to these lenes.. but it is sublte and hard to verbalize..reminds me of my leica lenses, sharp but with a fullness of color and constrast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up