Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SWOP Proofs - Z3100  (Read 3707 times)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
SWOP Proofs - Z3100
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:02:21 pm »

Sorry I haven't been around in a long time - I just got back from a huge 3+ week shoot in Miami and we're deep into the processing.  The project we're doing is a large 11 x 14 catalog of fine art and will be printed in Hong Kong.  The book designer requires SWOP proofs (everything converted to CMYK and to include an embedded profile that I have).

So questions are:

1.  Can SWOP proofs be done on the Z3100 (I'm guessing the answer is only with RIP)
2.  Anyone out there do SWOP proofs?
3.  Any recommendations for a place that does do SWOP proofs?
4.  Would Litho Realistic paper on Z3100 be a good choice to start just to be able to look at something that approximates the difference between RGB and CMYK?

Thanks for answers in advance - I know there are several pros out there - I could use some help.

Best-

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
SWOP Proofs - Z3100
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:21:53 am »

Sorry I haven't been around in a long time - I just got back from a huge 3+ week shoot in Miami and we're deep into the processing.  The project we're doing is a large 11 x 14 catalog of fine art and will be printed in Hong Kong.  The book designer requires SWOP proofs (everything converted to CMYK and to include an embedded profile that I have).

So questions are:

1.  Can SWOP proofs be done on the Z3100 (I'm guessing the answer is only with RIP)
2.  Anyone out there do SWOP proofs?
3.  Any recommendations for a place that does do SWOP proofs?
4.  Would Litho Realistic paper on Z3100 be a good choice to start just to be able to look at something that approximates the difference between RGB and CMYK?

Thanks for answers in advance - I know there are several pros out there - I could use some help.

Best-

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202306\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

SWOP can easily be done in a rip (tighter control on things like black only text), but also colorimetrically in the driver with a certain margin for delta E differences higher than a RIP.

The most important thing is to have a proof media that is adapted for the task. HP Proofing media are excellent with their inks, better than all the other third party stuff that is made for Epson basically.

I wouldn't use litho realistic for this. HP Proofing high gloss is what I like as it looks like a Kodak Approval.

The important thing is to use Relative colorimetric, and make a proof set up to transform your rgb to CMYK (SWOP V2 or better) and back to the paper profile. On the 9180 I use relative WITH NO BPC and a couple of adjustment layers for ID Glossy for a very good proof from CMYK images. I used the Fogra Media Wedge 2 to hand tune the colors on top of the custom profile.
The Z will be a bit better in neutrality than the 9180 and the colors perhaps a little too flashy. IF you do , use APS over the Easy profiles.

Do you have access to an i1? Then you might be able to strip read a control bar on your set up to see if the overall results are inline with a contract proof as far as color goes.
Just remember text on any ink jet is too fat compared to a laser.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
SWOP Proofs - Z3100
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:28:14 am »

SWOP can easily be done in a rip (tighter control on things like black only text), but also colorimetrically in the driver with a certain margin for delta E differences higher than a RIP.
The most important thing is to have a proof media that is adapted for the task. HP Proofing media are excellent with their inks, better than all the other third party stuff that is made for Epson basically.

I wouldn't use litho realistic for this. HP Proofing high gloss is what I like as it looks like a Kodak Approval.

The important thing is to use Relative colorimetric, and make a proof set up to transform your rgb to CMYK (SWOP V2 or better) and back to the paper profile. On the 9180 I use relative WITH NO BPC and a couple of adjustment layers for ID Glossy for a very good proof from CMYK images. I used the Fogra Media Wedge 2 to hand tune the colors on top of the custom profile.
The Z will be a bit better in neutrality than the 9180 and the colors perhaps a little too flashy. IF you do , use APS over the Easy profiles.

Do you have access to an i1? Then you might be able to strip read a control bar on your set up to see if the overall results are inline with a contract proof as far as color goes.
Just remember text on any ink jet is too fat compared to a laser.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202367\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Neil - thanks very much for your reply - I appreciate it.  I do have an Eye 1 system and I do have the strip, but my Z3100 is a plain vanilla 44", not APS.  Too bad you don't still have your 3100 - I could send the strip to you and maybe you could make a profile for me.  I'm still doing homework - but again, thank you for your response-

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
SWOP Proofs - Z3100
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:47:28 pm »

Hey Mark,
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. To second what Neil said, you should be able to get SWOP like proofs fairly easily. All adobe apps have this functionality built in. Choosing a proofing paper that is close to the white point of your desired proofing environment will help. The contract proofing paper satin is quite good and use few optical brighteners. Keep in mind too that the SWOP_V2 standard has been updated with with two new specs for printing on a #3 and #5 sheet, as well as the GRACoL spec for a # 1 sheet. Relative colorimetric rendering should give you good results, but if your proofing to a SWOP_V2 or SWOP2006_#5 spec the white point of the proofing paper will probably be quite different so you may get more accurate results using the Absolute Colorimetric rendering. If you looking to deliver contract quality proofs you can probably get there without a RIP, but not easily.
    A RIP is often perceived as offering better quality, what it really offers is accuracy and workflow enhancements. A good RIP will restrict ink to optimize the printer gamut to that of the proofing environment, and then linearize that output. Rips will often give you a simple way of optimizing and verifying the prints you produce, as well as offering better postscript support. They will also usually give you a much easier path to making that print, such as using hotfolders or having multiple workflows for different proofing conditions. The EFI RIP as well as many others interfaces with the on-board spectro to automate the linearization, profiling, optimization, and verification process. So depending on the quality and quantity of prints you want to make a RIP may be a life saver. Generally I tell people to try the option they have available first and the go from there. Let me know if you have any other questions I've worked with a lot of RIP's and the Z3100.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
SWOP Proofs - Z3100
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:43:22 pm »

Hey Mark,
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. To second what Neil said, you should be able to get SWOP like proofs fairly easily. All adobe apps have this functionality built in. Choosing a proofing paper that is close to the white point of your desired proofing environment will help. The contract proofing paper satin is quite good and use few optical brighteners. Keep in mind too that the SWOP_V2 standard has been updated with with two new specs for printing on a #3 and #5 sheet, as well as the GRACoL spec for a # 1 sheet. Relative colorimetric rendering should give you good results, but if your proofing to a SWOP_V2 or SWOP2006_#5 spec the white point of the proofing paper will probably be quite different so you may get more accurate results using the Absolute Colorimetric rendering. If you looking to deliver contract quality proofs you can probably get there without a RIP, but not easily.
    A RIP is often perceived as offering better quality, what it really offers is accuracy and workflow enhancements. A good RIP will restrict ink to optimize the printer gamut to that of the proofing environment, and then linearize that output. Rips will often give you a simple way of optimizing and verifying the prints you produce, as well as offering better postscript support. They will also usually give you a much easier path to making that print, such as using hotfolders or having multiple workflows for different proofing conditions. The EFI RIP as well as many others interfaces with the on-board spectro to automate the linearization, profiling, optimization, and verification process. So depending on the quality and quantity of prints you want to make a RIP may be a life saver. Generally I tell people to try the option they have available first and the go from there. Let me know if you have any other questions I've worked with a lot of RIP's and the Z3100.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Julian,
Thanks for your input - yes I understand the advantages of RIPs - I just don't have one right now.
We're using "coated FOGRA27 (ISO 12647-2:2004)" .  So do you do proofs there at your company?

Again, appreciate your taking the time to respond as well.
Best-

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

nandixyz

Re: SWOP Proofs - Z3100
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:10:42 pm »

Hi Mark - by chance I saw your msgs. I see a bit of confusion over the colour management and proofing. If the job requires it, better to rely on professionals. I represent a repro house in Italy specialized, between other things, on certified proofing; simply, that's our job, since ever. So, if you need profiled, certified, accurate and reliable digital proofs just let me know. I'll give you more info and details to discuss. btw, prices are more than affordable, just consider courier costs, in case.

ciao - nando
Pages: [1]   Go Up