Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALPA 12 MAX - Now Shipping!  (Read 12315 times)

Harold Clark

ALPA 12 MAX - Now Shipping!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 12:14:25 pm »

Ok, the details:

My lenses: 28/35/47/70.
Initial impressions: stunning files (but this is no surprise, I'm used to use Canon - or maybe, it feels like home, means it reminds me of my 4x5-film-days!)

There are click-stops at 0, in both rails (left/right and up/down). I ordered a special rail (is this the right term?) with extra click-stops at 14mm left and right, this will give me a stiched image 48x64mm (3:4).
Two release latchs, as you mentioned. A new form of the shifting knob, so you can use one finger for turning it faster. It is a very precise mechanism, maybe too precise (read: too slow) for me - time will tell. But for faster movements, you can always use the release latchs. And no click-stop when using the turning knob! (or is it just my lack of fine feeling?)

No tripod adaptor, no indicators for me. (by the way: they are made of solid aluminum, aren't they?)
A idea: changing the positions of the lens and the back - so one is able to stich two shots vertically with a fixed lens. But then, rise is very limited - if you use the back for a rising picture, it turns into fall, wich is limited to 18mm (sorry for my bad english, but maybe you understand what I mean...)

No Alpa groundglass, but two adaptors, one for the mamiya645-leaf (shooting), one for Hasselblad-V with the Arcbody-groundglass and their famous fresnels (composing).
Handling all those adapters, parts, glasses, screens, backs, caps on location? It was my idea, but was it a good one? I don't know - again, time will tell...

Everything feels very solid, very precise. Familiar with Arca-Swiss' automatic locking lensboards it is a little bit stange to use two manual latches to lock the lens - but maybe it is more secure (I remember, years ago, looking trough a 58XL, suddenly a disapearing picture - and then, looking for a 58XL deep in the snow...).

And a very good and friendly service from alpa in Zurich! I'm located in the middle between the alpa headquaters and the seitz factory - one more reason for me to buy this camera.

One last thing: a beautiful camera - but prone to fingerprints...

thom.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202370\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

By any chance will they have a sliding adapter available for viewing/shooting? The tilt adapter is interesting. I am trying to find a camera that will work with short lenses as an Arch camera, but also longer lenses for other things. So far the Silvestri Bicam seems like the only one I have found. I suspect the Alpa would be better made.

adammork

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 12:45:38 pm »

By any chance will they have a sliding adapter available for viewing/shooting? The tilt adapter is interesting. I am trying to find a camera that will work with short lenses as an Arch camera, but also longer lenses for other things. So far the Silvestri Bicam seems like the only one I have found. I suspect the Alpa would be better made.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202414\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use up to 210mm on my Alpa's - is that too short?  

/Adam

Harold Clark

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 12:58:02 pm »

I use up to 210mm on my Alpa's - is that too short?   

/Adam
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

210mm would be great, probably more than enough. Are you able to do any tilt with the long lenses?

adammork

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 01:08:18 pm »

210mm would be great, probably more than enough. Are you able to do any tilt with the long lenses?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202422\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have the tilt adapter, but I will think so, You need the short barrel versions of the lenses for use with the tilt adapter.

I have the 120mm Short barrel version, with that I can use the full range of movements on the XY,

With the normal barrel version of the 120, there is, from memory, about 15-20 mm of movements.

/Adam

schaubild

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

I don't have the tilt adapter, but I will think so, You need the short barrel versions of the lenses for use with the tilt adapter.

I have the 120mm Short barrel version, with that I can use the full range of movements on the XY,

With the normal barrel version of the 120, there is, from memory, about 15-20 mm of movements.

/Adam
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The tilt adapter requires short barrel lenses (it replaces the 34mm tube extension), which allows focal lengths of 80mm and longer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:34:00 pm by schaubild »

thom

• my website
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 01:33:10 pm »

Especially interested in your experience how it works with the V and Rfmx finder (I guess you meant that one with the Arcbody/flexbody style finder).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it's the Rfmx-Finder.
I'm just back from a first shooting this afternoon. With this setup, it's a lot of changing things all the time, no problems with interiors as today, maybe not recommended in dusty environments or on a ladder...
Again, it reminds me of 4x5-film (shooting polaroids, waiting those 45 seconds, putting the waste in a safe place, slide in the holder, pulling the darkslide, ...)
Not a fast way to work, but ok. for me, it helps me to take my time, to see things, to find the better picture.

thom

• my website
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 01:51:57 pm »

Thom,

Thanks for the report. You must be one of the absolute first to get the camera.
Have you had an Alpa before?  I always use one finger to shift the SWA- and it is still slow.
I assume you got it without grips - or I would ask you if it is really hand holdable.
Can you mount the camera on the side so that you can use the detents in the other direction??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My camera is one of the first series of 20 units, they told me.
It's my first Alpa.
First, I skipped the grips, but then, thinking of what you handle - a camera, a 28HR and a back - those grips are not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a repair...
So I get a pair of wooden grips - I even had the chance to choose between five different pairs in terms of color and structure of the wood (but all the same wood - rosewood).
Hand holdable without a grip? I would say no, but it is possible, it's just not very safe nor comfortable.
Yes, you can mount the camera on all four sides, top and bottom with a 3/8", left and right with a 1/4".

thom

• my website
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 02:03:44 pm »

By any chance will they have a sliding adapter available for viewing/shooting?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, there is no sliding adapter available from Alpa. They told me, it's very difficult (more or less impossible) to build an sliding adapter that meets the precision of the camera.
Years ago, there was that prototype:
[a href=\"http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products/discontinued_products&detailpage=234]http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=products...&detailpage=234[/url]]

My toughts: the back of the camera is really flat left and right of the groundglass, so maybe, one day, Alpa or a third party take the effort...

adammork

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 04:45:57 pm »

Yes, it's the Rfmx-Finder.
I'm just back from a first shooting this afternoon. With this setup, it's a lot of changing things all the time, no problems with interiors as today, maybe not recommended in dusty environments or on a ladder...
Again, it reminds me of 4x5-film (shooting polaroids, waiting those 45 seconds, putting the waste in a safe place, slide in the holder, pulling the darkslide, ...)
Not a fast way to work, but ok. for me, it helps me to take my time, to see things, to find the better picture.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't worry, you will soon find you self shooting a lot faster than with film, for one reason, you never have to worry about parallel standards, focusing is done in a second, ect...

I'm often on ladders with the bigger XY, and have been in dusty areas as well, no problem - congratulation, it's a fantastic system, there is only one problem - you will start finding excuses for getting a SWA, a TC and......  

Studio12NYC

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 11:38:23 am »

I rent the SWA often and it is a fantastic camera.  Thinking about getting one but only use it about a half dozen times a year.  

The new MAX looks interesting.  May have to open up the wallet for this one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up