Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 sillly question....  (Read 6958 times)

ed kelley

Z3100 sillly question....
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:20:47 pm »

that is the silly question.  I usually leave mine on, of course it goes into sleep mode, but it sure doesn't take nearly as much time to wake rather than boot from "off."

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Ed

Roscolo

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:44:16 pm »

HP says leave it on.

So, leave it on.

David Budd

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:44:38 pm »

that is the silly question.  I usually leave mine on, of course it goes into sleep mode, but it sure doesn't take nearly as much time to wake rather than boot from "off."

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed,

I have just returned after a month overseas during which time I left my Z3100 on.

I have just done my first print since returning with no problems, such as "ink head clogging"

The printer is designed to stay on 24/7 since when it is in sleep mode it automatically cleans the "heads" approx 4-5 times every 24 hours.

I suppose the only downside to all this is that the hard drive is continually spinning during this time.

Hope this is of some help.

David

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 06:02:47 am »

Ed,

I have just returned after a month overseas during which time I left my Z3100 on.

I have just done my first print since returning with no problems, such as "ink head clogging"

The printer is designed to stay on 24/7 since when it is in sleep mode it automatically cleans the "heads" approx 4-5 times every 24 hours.

I suppose the only downside to all this is that the hard drive is continually spinning during this time.

Hope this is of some help.
David
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Went for a fortnight holiday and unplugged it for that period. Two reasons: when left on for longer idle periods I have seen too much ink accumulated on the parking spot that can lead to drips on the first prints afterwards. Second, there was a period of thunderstorms before I went and I though I rather stay at the safe side. There was no clog when the printer returned to life afterwards.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

ed kelley

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:29:07 am »

Thanks for all the info.  I normally leave mine on all the time, except when I may be out of town for a while.  I have mine hooked up to a battery backup surge protector but have also been concerned about ink usages keeping the heads wet, though have never noticed drips on the first print.  The only problem I had with non-use over a period of time was that the paper sensor went bad during that time for whatever reason.

Ed

equiason

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 10:49:29 am »

that is the silly question.  I usually leave mine on, of course it goes into sleep mode, but it sure doesn't take nearly as much time to wake rather than boot from "off."

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

According to Amadou Diallou in his book Mastering Digital Black and White Photography, leaving the HP z3100 on sleep consumes 27w of power.  Printing uses 200w of power while leaving it off consumes 1w of power.

He says that since the sleep mode allows automated self maintenance routines, the option to leave it on is compelling.

Eric

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 03:17:22 pm »

Ed,

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201649\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

An HP tech assured me that the hard drive is not continually spinning all the time.

ed kelley

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 07:50:55 pm »

An HP tech assured me that the hard drive is not continually spinning all the time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I figured as much.  I'm sure there is some ROM in that takes care of sleep mode.

thanks again all!
Ed

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 08:46:37 pm »

My Z3100 is on a UPS and left on all the time.  No problems noted over the last year.
Regards,
Ron

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:18:34 am »

I leave my Z3100 on all the time.

Howard

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:43:53 am »

I leave mine on all the time, even if away on holiday. I don't want clogged heads and have to clean them manually (cos I'll probably stuff it up!   )

The hard drive may not be spinning but I can hear a fan or something going all the time, even when sleeping (the printer that is, not me!). Not sure why it needs the fan, sure yes, when the printer runs maintaneance every few hours, but not whilst sleeping. A bit of a pain, but hey ho.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:17:48 pm by ThePhotoDude »

iCrop

• http://
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:38 am »

I've had mine for 11 months now.  Initially I turned it off when not in use due to the fan noise.  After 3 weeks the Light Magenta-Light Cyan printhead failed.  I don't know if the failure was related to turning the printer off, but since I've left it on and have had no further problems (knocks on wood).

Mike

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 01:09:45 pm »

IF a print head failed after a few weeks it could have been replaced by HP if in warranty, (undoubtedly still in warranty).

It is marked in the user guide that at idle indeed 27 watts.
The hard drive should be jumpered for spin down. No reason that the HD should not spin down.

I used to turn mine off when in non-use as it makes a little too much noise for a quiet home environment. The ink use for maintenance is minimal for daily routines. The risk of lightning is always a good reason to shut down and unplug, but if the power cords really work then it is lessened by using them (I do).
The longer the printer is off the higher the risk of a clog, or worse non-cleanable clog . This happened one of  my 9180s after a year in the basement. I'm not sure that it was only the head though as the NEDD can also be a culprit.

So I'd say if it is off for 2 weeks or 2 months there is no real reason to be afraid. Longer than that may be betting on circumventing what was designed to be clog free printing.

howseth

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 02:29:10 pm »

I notice almost no noise when I keep my Z3100 on. Of course, when it wakes to clean itself there is the sound of the carriage moving, etc. But then it is silent - I am puzzled by the remarks about spinning hard drives, and other noises coming from Z3100 printers when not in use - but kept on.

Howard

ternst

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 03:02:42 pm »

I"ve had two z's for the most of the past year and both make noise when they are asleep - knowing how much HP techs know about these printers I have a feeling the one who said the hard drive does not spin during sleep really did not know what he was talking about and just told the company line - it sounds like the hard drives spinning to me on both of mine, and they never stop spinning...Howard, you must have a very unique z, or can't hear noise at that level - I've never seen a z that did not spin during sleep...

howseth

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 03:29:28 pm »

I must be the lucky one - that my Z3100 does not make noise during sleep! .. and I was really worried about it, before I bought it - since I am recording music nearby.

Perhaps my hearing is going, or, maybe sombody can explain it?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 04:31:13 pm »

I must be the lucky one - that my Z3100 does not make noise during sleep! .. and I was really worried about it, before I bought it - since I am recording music nearby.

Perhaps my hearing is going, or, maybe sombody can explain it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What I hear on my printer when it sleeps is the fan on the hard drive.  I have to assume that the fan wouldn't be running if the disk wasn't spinning, but that is only an assumption.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

peteh

• http://
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 06:48:21 pm »

What I hear on my printer when it sleeps is the fan on the hard drive.  I have to assume that the fan wouldn't be running if the disk wasn't spinning, but that is only an assumption.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have left mine off for 3-4 days with no problems and it checks itself every 6 hours, give or take 10+-mins. I would leave it on.Mine makes very little noise, it's 3 feet from me now and I can hear it if I listen real carefull.But I ran a wood shop for a while and routers get to the hearing ,quick!
Pages: [1]   Go Up