Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RMNP, Mt Evans, Maroon Bells, Keebler Pass, Ouray  (Read 5086 times)

mspivey

RMNP, Mt Evans, Maroon Bells, Keebler Pass, Ouray
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:18:08 pm »

My sister and I (she is 60 and I'm 61) are going to Colorado the second weekend in July for landscape and wildflower photography. We are going to do a half day guided shoot at RMNP and probably a Jeep tour in Ouray. Nothing else is set in stone.

I understand that you can get into the Maroon bells park by car if you get there very early. Is that right? My info is from a Tim Ernst journal several years old. Is 5:00 early enough to get set up for sunrise? I am planning on a Wed or Thurs to miss the weekend crowd. Any suggestions? Looks like we can get reasonable rooms in Snowmass.

I've been reading that Crested Butte is a good place for wildflowers. Gothic Valley is one place I've seen. Any other ideas?

And last, we may take the Jeep tour to Yankee Boy Basin.

Should be a full week.

Suggestions appreciated.

Darren

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:09:09 pm »

If you are coming up for flowers, I would highly suggest delaying your trip to the last week of July, if at all possible. The second week of July is too early for peak flowers on any other year. Perhaps even more so with all the snow around here this year. Time will tell.

You can drive to the Bells for free before 7 AM. Between 7 and 9 AM, there is a $10 fee. After 9 AM, you would have to take the bus. Obviously, you want the free option since that covers sunrise.

Crested Butte area is decent for flowers, but I would suggest skipping this area and heading straight to the San Juans if you want flowers. You'll have world's more flowers to choose from all in a central area. If your dates are set for the second week of July, though, your flowers will be very slim.

Finally, check out Jack Brauer's site for a picture of Monday's sunrise above Yankee Boy. Not exactly spring-like conditions. More like mid-winter. You'll want more days between now and your trip.

lefturn99

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:25:17 pm »

Thanks. I was already starting to think that.

sbacon

• http://baconphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:52 am »

Ya, what Darren said.  

Here are a couple good resources for locations, conditions, etc.

Nature Photographers of Colorado
Rocky Mountain Nature Photographers

Both are active forums with knowledgeable, helpful people. Be sure to check out the Favorite Places and Hot Spot links. These are write-ups on specific locations with lots of useful info and great images. You can also follow links to the forum member's personal websites.

Have a great trip!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:21:31 am by sbacon »

mspivey

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 02:36:55 pm »

Thanks, I'm a member of Central States Nature Photographers and I have jumped over to RMNP to lurk a little. I'm not sure if my sister can change her time off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up