Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100ps 44 GP Photo won't sleep anymore. Help.  (Read 7679 times)

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
HP Z3100ps 44 GP Photo won't sleep anymore. Help.
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:36 pm »

Hi all,
I've upgraded to the latest HP Leopard compatible SW including the new ps & raster drivers & FW, and am also using my HP APS v1.32 (which is not supposed to be compatible with my ps printer model). HP APS appears to work normally, but, my printer doesn't sleep like it used to and now I'm afraid I'll be burning out my LCD screen!

Any help or suggestions to get it to sleep again again would be appreciated.

I've tried changing the sleep interval to 30 minutes on the front panel, but that's not working.

I'm betting it's the HP APS Software that is the problem.

Using Apple MacPro Computers on an gigabit Ethernet IP4 network.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:12:49 pm »

Tom-

You are following the same path I followed, and experiencing some of the same issues.  I mentioned this issue in my thread on my upgrade woes.  

The only thing I changed was my firmware and the new driver, and my printer stopped printing.  I can only get my printer to sleep when the ethernet cable is disconnected or I have it connected via USB instead.  HP blames it on a ping being sent by my router, but that part didn't change, so if that is the case, the new HP software is responding to the same signal differently than before.

Please open a case and report this, as I did.  HP tech support says that they don't think of it as a bug or try to track down a specific problem until at least five people have reported the same thing.  

Do us both a favor and go on record as having this issue and we will only need three others to register this on the bug radar.

-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:15:15 pm »

Hi all,
I've upgraded to the latest HP Leopard compatible SW including the new ps & raster drivers & FW, and am also using my HP APS v1.32 (which is not supposed to be compatible with my ps printer model). HP APS appears to work normally, but, my printer doesn't sleep like it used to and now I'm afraid I'll be burning out my LCD screen!

Any help or suggestions to get it to sleep again again would be appreciated.

I've tried changing the sleep interval to 30 minutes on the front panel, but that's not working.

I'm betting it's the HP APS Software that is the problem.

Using Apple MacPro Computers on an gigabit Ethernet IP4 network.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe too obvious: paper handle open ?

Tried to put it off with the buttons or taking out the power cable and then a restart ?

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

dandeliondigital

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:24:20 pm »

Hi Ernst,
>paper handle open ?

Do you mean the lever that releases the paper during load/unload?

That item is in the usual position of being unengaged.

>Tried to put it off with the buttons or taking out the power cable and then a restart ?

I have adjusted the LCD to a much darker luminance, and the printer has been restarted.

I am fairly certain it may have slept correctly before I installed the HP APS v1.32, because I had read the thread by Ron H. hear on LL that he had this problem. So I do remember checking for this.

So long for now, TOM

dandeliondigital

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:30:14 pm »

Hi Ron H.,
I am fairly certain it may have slept correctly before I installed the HP APS v1.32, because I had read the thread posted by you stating you had this problem. I do remember checking on it and I know it did sleep (at least the time I checked it) after the driver and FW updates. After the HP APS install, I do not think I've seen it sleep yet.

I am now going to try to shut down the computers and see if that makes a difference.

Then I'll try removing the HP APS Software.

Computers and printers are so much fun!

So long for now, TOM

You are following the same path I followed, and experiencing some of the same issues.  I mentioned this issue in my thread on my upgrade woes. 
...snip...
Do us both a favor and go on record as having this issue and we will only need three others to register this on the bug radar.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:41:56 pm »

Hi Ron H.,
I am fairly certain it may have slept correctly before I installed the HP APS v1.32, because I had read the thread posted by you stating you had this problem. I do remember checking on it and I know it did sleep (at least the time I checked it) after the driver and FW updates. After the HP APS install, I do not think I've seen it sleep yet.

I am now going to try to shut down the computers and see if that makes a difference.

So long for now, TOM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
HP tech support had me first test that it was the network combination vs. the printer by unplugging the network cable.  If it goes to sleep after you do this, you know that it is something upstream of the printer causing the problem.  From all of the testing they had me do, we isolated it to my router, although I already mentioned that the problem only began after I updated to the latest HP software.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 07:40:22 pm »

when you shut it down, make sure that you also unplug the printer for a few minutes- my understanding is that this forces a reset (don't know exactly of what), that may help your situation.

Bill

PS- I believe Ernst also suggested this, but maybe not as explicitly

Hi Ron H.,

So long for now, TOM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

dandeliondigital

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 05:33:11 pm »

Hi Ron H & Bill,
I've done a lot of work the past 3 days to try to get this working, and I think I have it figured out now.

BTW, Thanks Bill for your clarification on the comment from Ernst.

>when you shut it down, make sure that you also unplug the printer for a few minutes- my >understanding is that this forces a reset (don't know exactly of what), that may help your >situation.

First, I did shut down the printer and unplug the network, and actually left it so overnight. Next morning I fired up the Z and then our MacPros with Leopard & the HP Software installed and the printer slept just fine. As soon as I fired up my iMac that has Tiger and the older driver software (BTW, I have noted B4 in a different post that the HP Z Leopard compatible Software -you cannot install it- not allowed by HP- is not backwards compatible to Tiger), the printer was wide awake and would not sleep unless I turned the iMac off. Wasn't sure how to uninstall that older HP Tiger compatible version of the Z Software. I have since upgraded that iMac to Leopard, and the printer is sleeping as it should.

So Ron H, do you have a similar situation or not? A Tiger install with HP Z Software on the network?

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Little things like that really bother me.

So long for now, TOM

HP tech support had me first test that it was the network combination vs. the printer by unplugging the network cable.  If it goes to sleep after you do this, you know that it is something upstream of the printer causing the problem.  From all of the testing they had me do, we isolated it to my router, although I already mentioned that the problem only began after I updated to the latest HP software.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 12:32:00 am »

So Ron H, do you have a similar situation or not? A Tiger install with HP Z Software on the network?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
All Leopard installs on my end, Tom.  While that might be the issue with you, it looks to be a different culprit for my sleep issue.
-Ron
-Ron H.

dandeliondigital

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:29:14 pm »

Hi Ron H,
Well,  the Z is back to not sleeping again, and I'm back to troubleshooting.

I thought I had this working, but I changed some things and now it's not working!

I really hate to call HP, but I may have to.

So long for now, TOM

All Leopard installs on my end, Tom.  While that might be the issue with you, it looks to be a different culprit for my sleep issue.
-Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dandeliondigital

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 05:33:17 am »

Hi Ron,
I checked over the situation and here's what I learned.

My new iMac install of Leopard also contained the HP APS 1.32 install, but not an install of HP Z driver software from HP. When I looked in the Apple System Preferences "Print & Fax" Settings, the HPZ printer shows in my list as a Bonjour printer with a generic driver (must be part of the Apple install). I installed the HP postscript driver and part of that install is the HP Printer Utility Software. I set up the printer driver to use the newest "HP PS" driver instead of "generic postscript." I tweaked HP Printer Monitor settings prefs.

I shut off of the printer and disconnected the power and network for about a minute and then plugged things back in.

The printer now appears to be "going to sleep" as it should. Fingers crossed for now.

So there must be some kind of interaction between the Mac System and the HP APS when the HP driver software is not installed? or not setup?

Let me know if your malfunction fits that situation.

I hope you can get your working.

So long for now, TOM

Hi Ron H,
Well,  the Z is back to not sleeping again, and I'm back to troubleshooting.

I thought I had this working, but I changed some things and now it's not working!

I really hate to call HP, but I may have to.

So long for now, TOM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 02:28:42 pm »

FWIW:  I just posted on a thread about HP media message from the Printer Status Monitor that I have sorted out my sleep problem.  HP was trying to blame it on my router, when my printer failed to go to sleep after the last software upgrade, but my printer returned to it's previous sleep behavior as soon as I turned off the monitoring in the Status Monitor.  I had it as the least frequent sample rate, and that was still preventing it from sleeping.  I have no love lost for the Status (PITA) Monitor.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

dandeliondigital

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:21 pm »

Hi Ron H.,
Why do customers get treated like this? Why is using nearly every piece of software an adventure filled with needless wasted time and pain? Why as end users do we download reams of supposed user information that is actually marketing and promotion in disguise? This is going from bad to worse, and it's getting out of control. Sigh. And so it goes...

So long for now, TOM

returned to it's previous sleep behavior as soon as I turned off the monitoring in the Status Monitor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 05:10:26 pm »

Just my $.02

Its because we live in a Wal-Mart world.  People are unwilling to pay for a knowledgeable person to answer the phone.  At best these days you are going to get a person who will search a knowledgebase for your problem and then read the recommendations.  You generally don't get someone with hands on experience or knowledge until you hit level 3 support.

Its the same reason that people search the internet to save $.50 on a $150 roll of paper or ink cart.

How much would you be willing to pay for support to get a knowledgeable person first time on the phone?  $100/year?  $200/year?  $300/year?
Regards,
Ron

dandeliondigital

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 10:09:12 pm »

Hi Ron,
In the "mission critical days" when we had corporate clients that were willing to pay a professional rate for our services, I did and would consider paying for support. More $$$ than you suggest. Today even buying the extended warranty isn't as satisfying as it used to be. You feel like you are working for the answer all the time now, and they keep changing the rules. I once asked someone why internet banking is so hard to use, and the person replied: don't you understand? It's all for them. Meaning they can move the money to their pocket in a split second, but once moved, the rules kick in and the delays and the yada, yada, yada. Are the corporations that make these products like computers and complicated printers being as fair to the customers as they were when they didn't have a dependent "captive market?" In my experience there seems to be an almost certain arrogance of the suppliers these days. Is it me? Is it them?

I think you are right in that the internet seems to bring everything down to the lowest common "Wal-mega-mart mentality". I remember using CompuServe in the 80's (more than 20 years ago now-time flies), and paying about $12 an hour to be "online" at 14.4 baud (actually did the reading offline because I used CompuServe Navigator which BTW predated Netscape Navigator).  The community was a lot like today's better internet forums, like this one ;-)  Was it held together by the commitment to pay, making the kind of people you encountered more like minded, and helpful, and open? We all needed answers and there were lots of questions, and it seemed like there was a greater willingness to share the knowledge in the past. Was I just younger and more (too) naive?

So the trend toward pushing down prices via worldwie competition has given us a new degree of chaos we didn't really bargain for? The internet is a "deflationary force" and because of it we have what we have and do the best we can with it? Yet another new paradigm?

So long for now, TOM
How much would you be willing to pay for support to get a knowledgeable person first time on the phone?  $100/year?  $200/year?  $300/year?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202477\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dandeliondigital

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 09:22:49 am »

Hi Ron H.,
Acccccck! My weird "Zps can't get to sleep problem" has returned.

I've got monitering turned off in the HP Printer Monitor Preferences on the computers which have the drivers installed. I checked activity monitor and computers with the HP Printer Monitor Software have 3 items listed there:

hpStatusMonitor
hpStatusaAlert

These are taking up memory, but do not appear to be active.

HP IO Classic Proxy

is also listed and this sw is using 0.4 CPU, so I'm wondering if that's running on my Leopard install and keeping the Z from sleeping. I wonder where this sw resides. I'd love to remove it. I guess it could have been brought over when I updated to Leopard. Any ideas?

The only thing I can remember doing before this started again was this: I restarted my now Leopard iMac from it's Tiger partition (so that I could use Classic). I then switched back after a few hours, and now my printer isn't sleeping. I then tried the turn the HPZ off and on trick, but that isn't helping.

Any suggestions?

This is baffling.

Thanks in advance, and so long for now, TOM

FWIW:  I just posted on a thread about HP media message from the Printer Status Monitor that I have sorted out my sleep problem.  HP was trying to blame it on my router, when my printer failed to go to sleep after the last software upgrade, but my printer returned to it's previous sleep behavior as soon as I turned off the monitoring in the Status Monitor.  I had it as the least frequent sample rate, and that was still preventing it from sleeping.  I have no love lost for the Status (PITA) Monitor.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 01:47:45 pm »

TOM-
I show the hpStatusMonitor and hpStatusAlert as using O CPU resources, but do not seem to have the HP IO Classic Proxy like you.  That could very well be the culprit, but remember, I'm not 100% healthy myself.  I can print fine, and my printer is sleeping, but I still can't get the paper list to refresh while wired to my network as before.  I have to periodically plug directly in via USB to update, and have to tell the printer what type of paper is loaded, as it can't see that information for some reason.
Best of luck,
Ron H.
-Ron H.

dandeliondigital

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 09:28:17 am »

Hi Ron H,
Here's a suggestion:

Open HP Printer Utility and scroll down the icon list on the left side to

Additional Settings

Then click on

Open Embedded Web Server

Then click on the Setup tab (second from left), and under

Printer Settings
---Advanced
------Web Services

are the items enabled...

HP Printer Utility
Color and Paper Management

If not, maybe that is where your problem is?

I'm still not solving my sleep issue. More work to do.

So long for now, TOM

TOM-
I show the hpStatusMonitor and hpStatusAlert as using O CPU resources, but do not seem to have the HP IO Classic Proxy like you.  That could very well be the culprit, but remember, I'm not 100% healthy myself.  I can print fine, and my printer is sleeping, but I still can't get the paper list to refresh while wired to my network as before.  I have to periodically plug directly in via USB to update, and have to tell the printer what type of paper is loaded, as it can't see that information for some reason.
Best of luck,
Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 12:05:23 pm »

Hi Ron H,
Open Embedded Web Server

Then click on the Setup tab (second from left), and under

Printer Settings
---Advanced
------Web Services

are the items enabled...

HP Printer Utility
Color and Paper Management
TOM-
It was certainly worth a shot, but I took a look and, unfortunately, both are already enabled.  Still looking for my magic bullet on this issue . . .
-Ron H.
-Ron H.

dandeliondigital

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 04:45:08 pm »

Hi Ron H,
Well, I think that the "HP IO Classic Proxy" is required by PowerPC Macs. Removing it wasn't a good thing to do and so I reinstalled the HP Z  ps drivers and there it was again, but things work.

So what I did to get my printer to sleep seems a bit odd, but now it's working.

I had the HP software installed on 1 of 2 Intel MacPros, and one was set to never sleep in the Energy Saver Preferences. I usually do that in conjunction with using the scheduling feature of the Energy Saver Preferences Pane to be sure I can get to various computers over the network during the working day (I must have been interrupted and never finished setting up the schedule). If you let them sleep they "drop off" the network, and if you let them never sleep, it seems nothing changes for the Z so it stays up along with the computer.

So after scheduling the computer to sleep, the Z is now doing a proper sleeping at night.

I'm so glad.

I wish I had a solution for your problems.

So long for now, TOM

TOM-
I show the hpStatusMonitor and hpStatusAlert as using O CPU resources, but do not seem to have the HP IO Classic Proxy like you.  That could very well be the culprit, but remember, I'm not 100% healthy myself.  I can print fine, and my printer is sleeping, but I still can't get the paper list to refresh while wired to my network as before.  I have to periodically plug directly in via USB to update, and have to tell the printer what type of paper is loaded, as it can't see that information for some reason.
Best of luck,
Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up