Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RZII Mirror Lock-up When and How?  (Read 5351 times)

Snook

RZII Mirror Lock-up When and How?
« on: June 12, 2008, 01:08:25 pm »

Sorry Guys but I am pretty new to the RZII and Loving it by the way,
But was wondering when do you start to use mirror lock-up or cable release to the lens to fire it.
I was shooting the other day and on tripod,  I was starting to get un-sharp images at 1/60th and 1/30th.
Is this normal?
Also if I use the trigger in the lens with flash,Will I have to hook the lens via PC cord to the pocket wizard so that is fires when the lens traps the shutter?
Also how does this work with the Digital backs?
Does firing the lens shutter thorugh the lens "wake-up" the P30 back?
Hopefully some one can help me out if they get a chance...
I would really appreciate and advice.
If some one could explain the best way to get sharp images at long shutter times would be great..
Thank you
Snook

Harold Clark

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:39:32 pm »

Sorry Guys but I am pretty new to the RZII and Loving it by the way,
But was wondering when do you start to use mirror lock-up or cable release to the lens to fire it.
I was shooting the other day and on tripod,  I was starting to get un-sharp images at 1/60th and 1/30th.
Is this normal?
Also if I use the trigger in the lens with flash,Will I have to hook the lens via PC cord to the pocket wizard so that is fires when the lens traps the shutter?
Also how does this work with the Digital backs?
Does firing the lens shutter thorugh the lens "wake-up" the P30 back?
Hopefully some one can help me out if they get a chance...
I would really appreciate and advice.
If some one could explain the best way to get sharp images at long shutter times would be great..
Thank you
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am not much help with the DB questions, but for mirror lockup you screw a cable release into the socket on the side of the lens, all the way so the little collar it mounts to pops out. Then fire the release on the camera. That raises the mirror, then use the cable release to fire the shutter.

Mamiya made a dual cable release for thet purpose, one section went into the camera and the other into the lens. When you push the plunger, the camera releases first, then the lens.

Snook

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:47:54 am »

I am not much help with the DB questions, but for mirror lockup you screw a cable release into the socket on the side of the lens, all the way so the little collar it mounts to pops out. Then fire the release on the camera. That raises the mirror, then use the cable release to fire the shutter.

Mamiya made a dual cable release for thet purpose, one section went into the camera and the other into the lens. When you push the plunger, the camera releases first, then the lens.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201196\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sure thought there would more RZ guys ringing to help out..
Anybody have any comments?
Thanks
Snook

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:21:48 pm »

Sure thought there would more RZ guys ringing to help out..
Anybody have any comments?
Thanks
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

I shoot with my RZ Pro II w/ a Phase One back all the time.  The Pro II can have some serious mirror slap, so when I shoot product I always hook up a cable release directly to the lens.  What you will need to do is use the standard trigger on the camera (lower front right) and then fire the camera with the cable release.  With a Phase One back you will have to pay attention to the latency or camera power mode (depending on if you are tethered or not).  The cable release will fire your DB.  

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 05:54:39 pm »

Snook,

I shoot with my RZ Pro II w/ a Phase One back all the time.  The Pro II can have some serious mirror slap, so when I shoot product I always hook up a cable release directly to the lens.  What you will need to do is use the standard trigger on the camera (lower front right) and then fire the camera with the cable release.  With a Phase One back you will have to pay attention to the latency or camera power mode (depending on if you are tethered or not).  The cable release will fire your DB. 

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks a lot Chris...
When do you usually start to notice the slap?
What shutter speed usually?
Thank you
Snook

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:47:03 am »

Thanks a lot Chris...
When do you usually start to notice the slap?
What shutter speed usually?
Thank you
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

I usually notice it about a 30th of a second or slower. Sometimes it won't exactly look like camera shake, but almost like it is slightly out of focus.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 09:49:54 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with Chris. The RZ has a huge mirror. You should even be careful at 1/60.
The RZII has a hot shoe where you can hook your Pocket Wizard.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 04:00:39 pm »

Mamiya makes a mirror-up cable release for the RZ, essentially a double release with a camera end and a lens end; half press flips the mirror, full press trips the lens. With this, I see no reason why you could not (have never done it though) attach the lens end of that release to the cable-release port on the Kapture-Group delay release for the Phase back, and get fully automated mirror up with the RZ...

This is the mirror-up release, don't know anything about the seller, see ebay item 200231779106
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:06:01 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Snook

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 11:54:57 pm »

Mamiya makes a mirror-up cable release for the RZ, essentially a double release with a camera end and a lens end; half press flips the mirror, full press trips the lens. With this, I see no reason why you could not (have never done it though) attach the lens end of that release to the cable-release port on the Kapture-Group delay release for the Phase back, and get fully automated mirror up with the RZ...

This is the mirror-up release, don't know anything about the seller, see ebay item 200231779106
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is that cable for the RZ or the RZII..
That is where I am not sure..
From  what I understand I do not need any special cables... Just the cable for the lens.
What I am not sure about is when with flash.. Not in my studio right now but I believe the Flash sync has to go into the LENS or from pocket wizard to LENS so it fires the Flash when the LENS fires??
I'll have to check it out when I am in the studio next week..:+}
Is the Kapture Group cable for the RZII and does it allow everything to be one click or what is the difference?
The Phase P30 Back should wake up with out any special cables... right?
Thanks
Snook

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 07:23:50 am »

Is that cable for the RZ or the RZII..
That is where I am not sure..
From  what I understand I do not need any special cables... Just the cable for the lens.
What I am not sure about is when with flash.. Not in my studio right now but I believe the Flash sync has to go into the LENS or from pocket wizard to LENS so it fires the Flash when the LENS fires??
I'll have to check it out when I am in the studio next week..:+}
Is the Kapture Group cable for the RZII and does it allow everything to be one click or what is the difference?
The Phase P30 Back should wake up with out any special cables... right?
Thanks
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook:

The Mamiya RZ adapetr that you are using made for Phase One is providing the wake up signal. When you use a technical camera or view camera you need the Kapture Group release. Always us the mirror up mode on anything at 1/60 or slower.

Get that release for the RZ lens it makes it easy to use.

Chris Snipes
Image Productions
Phase One Test Studio Florida

chris@imageproduction.com
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

Snook

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:35:44 am »

Snook:

The Mamiya RZ adapetr that you are using made for Phase One is providing the wake up signal. When you use a technical camera or view camera you need the Kapture Group release. Always us the mirror up mode on anything at 1/60 or slower.

Get that release for the RZ lens it makes it easy to use.

Chris Snipes
Image Productions
Phase One Test Studio Florida

chris@imageproduction.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201690\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you guys very much..
May I throw in another dumb question for the RZ guys?
Where can I get the 9V plug for the Motor WinderII...
Anybody??/ And Hopefully dual Voltage?
Thank you
Snook

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:28:46 am »

Radio Shack!
Pages: [1]   Go Up