Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge - Using too much memory. PC/XP Pro  (Read 2503 times)

Dinarius

Bridge - Using too much memory. PC/XP Pro
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:19:20 am »

PC/Windows XP Pro

Hasselblad 39Mp files.

Typically, when I open Bridge, it shows memory usage of about 150Mb.

Shortly after I've opened a few images together (e.g. to apply the same changes across a folder of files) memory usage soars to 850Mb - 1Gb and everything slows down noticeably.

I would be grateful for suggestions on improving performance and what Preference settings I might choose.

Also, how best to handle Cache.

Thanks.

D.

ruraltrekker

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:01:04 pm »

Bridge does need it's resources at times. The way I solved my Bridge (and PS as well - image processor would crash on large runs) issues was to go to Vista 64bit. Problems solved - totally.

I think the PS & Bridge CS3 are really pushing hard on a 32bit OS. I spoke with Adobe tech and though I didn't get this as a statement what they did say was that at some point a memory leak occurs because of the 32bit architecture. I wasn't off the phone 15 minutes before I knew it was time to go 64bit.

Of course you must be patient with Bridge when it first starts to look at a folder. Just let it do the work - you know, take a coffee break or something. Plain & simple Bridge has a ton of data to crunch & grind before it will really allow you to work the files in any way.

And finally, I don't get the Vista bashing. Sure the antique software/hardware ain't going to fly but I have really enjoed the move to Vista - two machines are 32bit and one is 64bit. They all work extremely well for me.

Now I don't know if this what you were looking for or wanted to hear but I shoot a ton of files for advertising use and I had to solve the Bridge crashes & PS Image Processor hangs. Done.

Ken

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:29:57 pm »

Hi Ken,

I took your advice and changed computers.

I am now running Vista Ultimate 64bit with 8GB RAM and Core2 9650 processor - one of the fastest available.

However, despite all this, I am still getting the dreaded "There was not enough memory" error when saving out TIFFs from ACR4 (first created in Flexcolor) that I have made some final tweaks to.

You can read all about my problems on this thread.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/?13@45.KXu...YyO@.59b5a54a/6

If you have any suggestions as to how I might cure this problem, I'd be very grateful.

This machine is blindingly fast. But, there's some glitch that causes ACR's cache(?) to fill up very quickly. And clearing the cache isn't enough. I have to close and reopen Bridge too.

I've never used Lightroom. I wonder if it has the same problem?

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up